Author Topic: Holding food in mouth  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Annabelp

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Holding food in mouth
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:14:29 am »
Suddenly 2 year old ds is holding his last mouthful of food in his mouth!! I thought at first it was if he had something he didn't like in there but for example this morning he tucked into his blueberries, even asked for more then on the last mouthful he holds some in there. Same with his yoghurt at breakfast.  He will therefore not speak and will only nod his head.  We can eventually get him to spit it out but only with some persuasion. I thought it might be just attention but even if we say offer him a biscuit if he swallows what is in his mouth he won't swallow but will cry and under duress spit it out. Anyone else had this? he's a fussy eater so I could do without added eating stresses lol!!!!
DS 3 years
DD 18 months

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Holding food in mouth
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:19:28 am »
Yep, I had this periodically with DD1 and now with DD2 (who is 15 mo).  At first, I assumed, like you, that it was something they did not like.  Later, with DD1, it was just something she did to entertain herself and push the limits with me.

I just started offering food one at a time, or in very small portions until I knew it had been chewed and swallowed before offering another piece.

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:56:31 am »
Recently went thru the same thing with dd, 2yo. Drove me nuts and tbh nothing I tried worked. Eventually she just stopped, took a few months tho. Hang in there!

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Holding food in mouth
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 16:31:37 pm »
btdt DS1 outgrew it himself, drove me mad while he did it...sometimes he would hold the last piece in his mouth for an hr!
9 and 6, oh boy!