Author Topic: eating every 1-2 hrs  (Read 1830 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
eating every 1-2 hrs
« on: December 29, 2011, 19:39:12 pm »
DS is almost 1yr.  He needs milk, meals, snacks at 1 to 2 hr intervals all day.  Is this normal?

eg yesterday
6.40 milk
8.00 breakfast
9.30 snack
10.30 snack
nap
1.45 lunch
3.00 milk
4.00 snack
5.20 dinner (although not too hungry at this dinner, more of a snack)
6.15 milk
EBT

and today
6.45 milk
7.45 breakfast
10.45 snack (ok it was a 3hr gap between food here)
nap
2.00 lunch
3.30 snack
5.15 dinner
6.00 milk
EBT

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 18:08:49 pm »
For a growth spurt it is...we had a HUGE one at 12 mths.  I would just feed him as long as it's all healthy and nourishing options.  It's very normal for them to eat more during the day and then have dinner as a snack with a top up of milk before bed. 

The tweaking never stops!

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 18:39:53 pm »
DS never stopped after the 12m growth spurt!  even now he has breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and then milk and biscuit all in a 12 h day! as pp says, as long as it's all decent food then just go with it!
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
Re: eating every 1-2 hrs
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 21:53:02 pm »
Thanks for your replies.  Shouldn't a growth spurt be over in a few days though?
This has been going on for over a month now.

He used to have milk, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, milk (same as yours lillisuze) but now he needs extra snacks in there too.
Hmm, I suppose I feel like it is two snacks between every meal but sometimes it's only one.  I think that's because I'm trying to get him back down to one snack between meals.  But he is asking for snacks and meals all the time as though I'm starving him.  I always keep offering food until he's full though.

Oddly I also read that the appetite drops at 12 months ???

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:33:19 am »
Oddly I also read that the appetite drops at 12 months

I read that too - unfortunately, Alexandra did not ;)  Sounds like your LO also missed this bit of info...

Alexandra started this behaviour with a GS at 12 months and hasn't really stopped it yet... she snacks all morning until her nap - every hour or 90 mins just like yours does... then gets up and has lunch around 230 and is fine until dinner at 5pm... then she will snack around 615/630 then bottle and bed at 715...

Don't worry momma - as much of a PITA as it is - normal :)

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:43:41 am »
Thanks Kara.
Before his stay in hospital he had such regular milk, snacks and main meals that it was pretty clear everything was normal.  When he came out of hospital he was like a newborn, milk every half an hour to an hour!  No solids (you know he's always loved his solids) and then when the solids started picking up again we resulted in SO many snack breaks it seemed silly.
I think we've settled into a more regular routine again now.  I would never let him go hungry but I think given the option he would constantly graze which isn't good for routine or teeth or building a decent appetite.
Absolutely everything was off after that hospital stay so I was a bit confused about what was developmental and what was being off track due to illness.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 20:03:11 pm »
For sure!  Alexandra made a big change around 10 months... she was on a great routine with eating... bottle at wake, solids 90 mins later... then lunch at noon, bottle at 230pm, dinner at 530, bottle at bedtime and that was it... the odd day, she would need a snack if I needed to push a meal by half an hour or so... but it was great!

Then she dropped to two bottles and it all went to pot! 

I have done extensive googling on this snacking business and apparently it is really common from 12-18 months of age.... it seems to coincide with them dropping bottles/milk feeds and the fact that they still have little tummies :)  Remember, tummy size is about the same as baby's fist :)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 20:05:12 pm »
If he is asking for food I would give it ... both my boys don't do growth spurts, they just eat all day every day ::)  As long as your LO isn't overweight and you are giving him decent food it's not an issue (apart from the expense!!).
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 20:11:54 pm »
If he is asking for food I would give it
Oh I certainly do.  Just wasn't sure if things were going out of whack there for a bit.
He's a slim boy but always gained perfect weight and apart from the month or so following his hospital stay he's always been very keen on solids.  It's lovely to see him eat - that's a really mum-type thing isn't it? To want to feed our children.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 20:15:30 pm »
yes, it's def easier than having a fussy eater, just costs a lot more in the weekly food shop ;)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 20:24:45 pm »
It's lovely to see him eat - that's a really mum-type thing isn't it? To want to feed our children.

They can never eat enough to make us think that things are great though ;)

Offline Mama_Mia

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:19:05 am »
Glad I found this thread as I was going to ask the same question. M seems to want to snack all day long. But he mostly eats fruit for his snacks. He does love fruit. And he has just this week started wanting bologna. I know its not great food, but if I dont give it to him he freaks out. So far I have kept it to 1 piece a day on the days he asks for it...

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:22 am »
Zac nibbles all day too, has a big breakie, snack sometimes another snack, bottle, lunch, snack, tea BF bed ::) ;)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:29 am »
Glad to know it's not just us!!! F has just starting doing this too - she'll have morning milk, will be pestering the ladies at the market to give her a snack on our morning walk (which they do!!!), eats a decent breakfast when we get home, pre-nap snack, post-nap milk, lunch, afternoon snack,  dinner and BT milk....and no matter how much she's eaten at a meal, it's not over til she's had her fruit. I honestly think she has a second stomach when it comes to fruit!
*Nuala*