Author Topic: 'That's yukky'  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« on: December 30, 2011, 18:11:45 pm »
So this is becoming a regular occurrence.  Everything offered has become 'that's yukky'.  Or 'that's really yuk mommy' or 'no I not eat that, it's very yukky'.  Nose wrinkled and pushing it away or refusing to have it on his plate at all.  Even stuff he used to like!

Do you respond?  Or do you just say 'I'm sorry you don't like it but that's what we are eating'?  I'm not sure what to do with these verbal attacks we are getting lately *sigh*  I'm afraid I'm not very good at handling them because next thing I know I'm arguing with my kid.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: 'That's yukky'
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 18:16:10 pm »
Totally been there :( and D is far more prone to do it. I simply say "ok, sorry you don't like it" and then drop it. Because she'll reel me in every time ::) And you know what? When I'm not looking, she goes back and eats it >:(  It's infuriating at times that she plays us like that, but I think she's trying to get a sense of where her reactions stand amongst things if that makes any sense.
At one point I was serving her an empty plate at supper time.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 18:23:36 pm »
We used to get 'UGH...that (insert ANY food here) is stinky, I am not eating stinky food'.....dinner was always worst when she was tired but certainly not reserved to dinner. 

I mainly ignored her but did say 'thats fine but its still what is for dinner.  we did introduce a 1 bite rule at that age/stage so she did have to try it. 

And lots of DH saying 'yum what a lovely dinner' and all the usual modelling.  it has passed now.  Not before she told MIL her food was 'stinkin' too though! 

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 18:26:20 pm »
We get lots of that too, in fact just today I was making turkey soup in the crockpot and T told me soup was yucky.  ::)  I don't make a big deal out of it.  It's the same thing with "I don't like it", it says it to almost everything whether he likes it or not.  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 18:47:18 pm »
i dont know what to do either, DS started saying veggies are not yummy!  Push it off his plate.  But he also sometimes says xx is not yummy while stuffing himslf with it, so we started saying it all that xx is not yummy!!  and have a laugh.  veggie still doesnt get eaten... i just give him fruit afterwards, dont want to fight over dinner.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: 'That's yukky'
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 19:25:18 pm »
DS doesn't say that yet - but he refuses to eat LOTS of things. And things he DOES like (pasta, cookies, etc) are eaten with gusto and a very enthusiastic "tastes good" proclamation. So two nights ago when we were eating pasta with meat sauce and salad (well the rest of us had salad LOL) he was wolfing down his pasta and meat and every few bites saying "mmmmm tastes good". Funny and cute! But anything he doesn't want gets SCREAMED at. Like Shiv, sometimes he does a "bit" better when I ignore him or leave the table.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 18:59:39 pm »
At one point I was serving her an empty plate at supper time.
LOL

Sorry that made me chuckle.

Yeah, I figured as much.  I do want him to be respectful though when people make a meal - if he doesn't like it...how to get him to politely decline instead lol?  I guess he's after the reaction he's getting.  Must stop the reaction.

Glad it's a phase in some kids...and that it might just pass if we don't pay much attention to it. 
The tweaking never stops!