Author Topic: Routine with solids  (Read 1646 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Routine with solids
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:21:23 am »
So my DS is 5.5 months and we have been feeding solids once per day. But I havent been able to get him to eat at all in the last few days.

I noticed on some of the "Sample Routines" That moms are feeding 3 meals a day for their 6month olds. Is that what most people do? Just jump right in like that?
Melissa

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Routine with solids
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:31:17 am »
A lot of the sample routines, if I am recalling correctly, are a bit older. Thoughts have changed somewhat on the best age to introduce solids. The "experts" say 6 months is best, although some can start as early as 4 months if they are showing signs they are ready.

The best idea is to follow your baby's lead and make sure "food before one is only for fun". Basically, this means, food is to learn to swallow, chew, experience different flavors and textures but not to take the place of breast milk or formula. Your LO will get all the nutrition they need from their liquid diet until closer to one year of age.

Solid food is a complementary addition. If your LO is only interested in one meal a day. That is fine. If they want more, go ahead and offer more. Generally speaking most babies are eating approx. 3 solid meals per day around 7-9 months and then continue to increase from there with additional small snacks. Milkfeeds tend to drop from 4 per day to 3 around 9 months, then down to 2 a day closer to 12 or so months as food increases, but it is a progression that works for your baby. You don't need to jump into anything your LO isn't ready for.

What solids have you offered up to this point?

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:58:55 am »
E has had rice cereal, barley cereal(DH thinks this upsets his tummy), oatmeal cereal
We have tried carrots, sweet potatoes(causes a pastey poop) and zucchini
We have also tried prunes and now bananas

I am making my own baby food in ice cube trays. He used to be more interested in it, and at daycare he always ate all of it.(was 2 tbsp cereal and one ice cube of fruit or veggie) now I cant even get him to have 2 mouthfuls.

Could it be that he doesnt like it? How am I going to know if hes not eating it because he doesnt like it? I have been mixing all of the veggies and fruit with the cereal is this wrong? Will he actually get to even taste the new food?
Melissa

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:09 am »
We did 1 meal to begin and then now she has 2. Tbh I am not planning to do 3 until she is more like 8/9 months when we will drop to 3 bottles as it is hard to fit everything in at this age I think.

M is also quite fussy and it is only in the last week she has shown more interest so try not to worry. I found that once I found a food she liked i.e. pear, apple, b squash she got the hang of it and was then much more inclined to try new things.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:40 am »
meant to say at your lo's age M was on one meal and really was not that bothered. She might have had a couple of mouthfulls.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 15:11:50 pm »
Could be he wants to try something new or he prefers the taste of his formula/breastmilk. Could be his tummy bothers him after eating so he's avoiding it. Could be he's more interested in trying to master a new skill like sitting, crawling, and so isn't keen on eating at the moment. Babies go back and forth on interest in things all the time. I wouldn't worry about it. If he was eating well he will get back again. Follow his lead and keep mealtimes easy going and low key. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If not then he won't.

You can mix the cereal with fruit or veg. or not. It really and truly depends on you. I always introduced the food alone at first and mixed later after it was accepted, enjoyed and didn't cause any issues.

I've found carrots, prunes, and bananas to irritate my DS a bit. We have had the  most success with pears, apples, squash, and chicken.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 22:09:47 pm »
I noticed on some of the "Sample Routines" That moms are feeding 3 meals a day for their 6month olds. Is that what most people do? Just jump right in like that?

No I don't think so! As you probably know weaning isn't recommended until 6 months anyway. I tried at about 5.5 months and DS wasn't interested. We started on 1 meal at 6 months.