Author Topic: Quinoa for baby? Yes/No? Where?/How?  (Read 7507 times)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Quinoa for baby? Yes/No? Where?/How?
« on: December 31, 2011, 19:23:44 pm »
Is it advisable to use this to make a baby type cereal? How is it in terms of digestion and allergies/intolerances? Where is it found at the store? How do I make it?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 19:27:20 pm »
It was included in one of the recipes I had from my baby nutrition class for babies over 9+mos (though I don't see why you couldn't give it a bit sooner, I was giving it to DS1 by 9mos).  I don't think it is a particularly allergenic food.  It's very healthy!  TBH though I haven't made it that much, and I keep thinking I need to make it more often because I know how good it is.  It's made similarly to rice, boiled in water.  I don't know about stores near you but here I find it in health stores, or in the health section of the regular supermarket.  Check where you find other grains like cous cous.  There is this too:  http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/quinoababyfoodrecipes.htm
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Quinoa for baby? Yes/No? Where?/How?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 20:02:07 pm »
In the UK "Plum" baby food make a blueberry, banana and vanilla puree with it, suitable from 6 months, I think! Not got round to making any yet but the instructions on the packet I bought for quinoa seem simple enough.  I think it is recommended as it is low allergy risk!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 23:16:01 pm »
DS is having trouble digesting some other foods and our solids are going slowly. A very two steps forward, one step back process. I was looking for something I could make him that would be like the baby cereals (so a bit "heartier" than just veggies/fruits) that I could add to his diet that had some nutritional value. I can always use his formula to make some types of food with the quinoa and some fruit or whatever.

It sounds like it could be what I am looking for. I'll have to try to find it at the supermarket. I looked briefly the other day but wasn't sure where to look and had both LOs with me so didn't have the most keen eye!

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:37:15 am »
we love quinoa around here! to cook it, just rinse well and cook just like rice. I usually add some veggies or stock to it. Both my kids love it - baby has a hard time picking it up to eat, so I sometimes make it into little patties with a bit of egg and fry lightly for him. Quinoa is also a superfood - it is packed with everything you need and I have head that it can even act as a protein replacement in a vegan diet. Plus, I find it more flavourful than rice.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 01:44:12 am »
DS isn't great with textures/lumps yet. We've done only purees and only recently given those puffs to practice with. Mostly this is b/c of his tummy troubles as he's not had much practice with a wide range of foods and will gag on larger pieces or lumps. Do you think he could handle it just cooked or do you think I'd need to grind it up?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:46:33 am »
I have head that it can even act as a protein replacement in a vegan diet
Quinoa has all the amino acids of a complete protein and I think it is the only non-meat source that has this, so yes it is an excellent source of protein!  

Ack I really need to get into making more quinoa!  My naturopath had showed me a book she has called 365 Days of Quinoa or something like that.  I think it takes some getting used to but if you find recipes you like then you start to love it.

I have used the flour in baking and DH has used it to make quinoa flour tortillas, since it is gluten free.  It is a tricky flour because it has a strong flavour, but I have a chocolate cupcake recipe that uses it and the chocolate masks the flavour and it's quite good.  Not that you'll be giving DS any cupcakes anytime soon!  lol  But just so you know it is quite versatile.  :)

Can he eat rice?  DS1 was handling it fairly easily by that age.  It's a similar texture to rice, but much smaller so would probably be easier to manage.  I'm not sure though how he would be if he's not great with textures yet.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline zeri

• Showing Appreciation 55
    • coffeebeing
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 16:28:02 pm »
I would probably buy the white quinoa (we can get organic white quinoa at costco here - it isn't processed, just quinoa also come red (crunchier) and I think black (haven't tried that one) .....anyway, where was I? Ah,  I would probably buy white quinoa and overcook it, it gets mushy quite fast.
~Lisa~
http://fivecentcandy.wordpress.com/
http://coffeebeing.blogspot.ca/

Spirited Gigglet 2008         Sweet Pickle 2010

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 17:01:10 pm »
Can he eat rice?  DS1 was handling it fairly easily by that age.  It's a similar texture to rice, but much smaller so would probably be easier to manage.  I'm not sure though how he would be if he's not great with textures yet.

Haven't tried rice...just the baby rice cereal. We are really SLOW going with foods in general. *Sigh* DD was eating pretty much mostly table foods by 9 months and here I am on a few purees. He does seem to be back to "normal" for him though, after a bout of back and forth firm/loose stools and whatnot. I think we can move forward a bit again. I may run out and get some quinoa if I get a chance today :)

I know they are all different.  But I also know he enjoys foods and would be more keen to try things if I could allow him without worry about his tummy upsets. So that is frustrating!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 17:31:57 pm »
Quinoa is great!
Marensmama had a thread a while back about it, I will try and find it for you, it had many recipes.

We still give every morning Holle 3 grain porridge, it's like the baby rice, but it's Organic and has millet in there that made me think it's a bit better in nutritional value.
http://www.holle.ch/english/Produkte/Kinderbrei.htm
I add some fruit to it, usually grated apple or apple puree.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 21:24:40 pm »
Thank you.

I went to Whole Foods yesterday and found prewashed/rinsed quinoa and also quinoa flakes. I thought that was great as they are pre-ground for me then and can be most easily made into a "baby cereal". DS was not a fan. I mixed with pears. He took a little bit but still not very enthusiastic and then stopped taking any. Fed him some squash which he happily ate and took  a bit more quinoa with squash but then was finished eating.

He has a fever and is quite whiny though so we'll try again :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 22:31:49 pm »
Technicality quinoa isn't a grain but a seed related to spinach. Buckwheat is another one. Quinoa is higher in complete protein than other grains and pseudograins though.

That said, many babies have a hard time with grains (which are technically seeds) and legumes (ditto) so do keep an eye on digestive reactions even with quinoa. :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 22:40:15 pm »
deb, I am def. keeping an eye out. I am feeling a bit disheartened as he isn't taking in (IMO) enough formula and as much as he likes the other solids, we end up with GI issues and I am becoming rather disheartened. I am worried about him not getting enough to properly grow on.

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 14:03:44 pm »
Have you tried chicken broth and chicken?  We're grain free right now and that's what I use to give him heartier meals.  He's done really well digesting it in spite of all his other digestion issues.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11