Author Topic: Day care for 8.5MO  (Read 1754 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Day care for 8.5MO
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:03:54 am »
The place we're going to (a choice of one) says that its best to do the two days he'll be in care consecutively rather than spaced out with a few days in between. Apparently this is less traumatic - anyone have and thoughts and/or experiences on this one?

I'm just imagining the OT I'll be dealing with for the two days following his days in care because they've only got one nap time in their day and he'll be pretty OS from the new surroundings as it is... They reckon they can try to stick to our routine as best they can but most kids apparently 'fall into line' with the schedule they have for the room (2.5YO and younger). I will see if he can get a CN in when he arrives there to get him through to nap time at 12:00 or so (he wakes at 5:30 courtesy of the kookaburras outside his window - nothing I can do about that).

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Day care for 8.5MO
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 14:04:05 pm »
I know that most providers say that it is best to do more than one session per week so that lo's settle in quicker but I have not heard of them being consecutive days necessarily.
Personally I would want a gap in between for the reasons you state. I found when DS started 2 mornings at nursery/pre school it was a big change for him and he was so tired. It would def not have worked for us to do back to back days and luckily we did not have to. I would do what is right for you and him.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 03:39:32 am »
We did Monday/Wednesday with dd1 when she was small and it was fine.  She didn't nap well there, but neither of mine ever napped well at daycare.  I liked the day between to catch up a bit.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:09:41 am »
Yeah, I'm feeling a little bit of a mug for doing Mon/Tues but I guess we can see how he goes. He slept 1hr10 there during his first 1/2 day introductory visit, so I guess that's better than nothing... I get first dibs on places so I can always ask them to change him to Mon/Wed or Mon/Thurs if a place comes up or someone wants to swap.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 18:16:58 pm »
That's not half bad for the first day!  Dd2 started daycare at 8ish months and used to go the entire day without napping!  She was such a mess at night!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:33 am »
Yeah, I thought he'd be way too excited in there to sleep and he did stay up a lot longer than he usually would but he crashed eventually. We'll see what tomorrow brings, I think there may be more noise there this week with more kids returning from holidays (we do summer holidays over christmas time here :) )