Author Topic: Newborn feeding issues! Help  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Katoeandiggy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 01, 2012, 20:50:13 pm »
Hi I'm new to this site looking for some advice.

My DS is 7 days old, I formula fed from the start, I'm using the Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles, with Vari flow teats. The flow of milk depends on how hard they suck.
Well he started out only drinking a tiny amount 10mls but on day 2 and 3 he picked up and was drinking 4 oz every 4 hours. He has trouble latching on to the teat but once he has a grip on it he drinks in 10 minutes. Which I think is very quick.

The last couple of days he has been gulping lots of air I can hear it going down, and only taking 2oz every 2 hours. I switched back to the standard number 1 teat tonight and he didn't seem to gulp the air but he only took 1oz in about 40 mins before falling asleep.

Really don't know what to do, it's stressing me out.
It takes a while for him to get the teat in the right place to suck, does that sound normal?

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Re: Newborn feeding issues! Help
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 20:54:53 pm »
My ds had issues like this when the bottle temperature was off at all. We don't have variable flow teats here, just slow medium and fast. Good luck and welcome to the site.
Melissa

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 21:32:26 pm »
Welcome to the boards!

You could try the no2 teat and see if that makes a difference. It could also be that a different shaped teat would suit him better - Dr Brown's for example are longer and they are good bottles for reducing air intake. I guess it depends if you want to go to the expense of trying new bottles or not.

Drinking a bottle in 10 mins isn't too fast, a bottle feed should be done by 20 mins so the 1oz in 40 mins was too long and shows the no1 teat is too slow for him. Did you check the teat at all to make sure it wasn't blocked? I was feeding my DD expressed milk once when she was tiny and it was taking forever - then we realised there was a little lump of fatty milk blocking the hole. It wouldn't have been so bad if my midwife hadn't been there at the time! Are you burping him mid feed? If not, try that to see if he will finish a feed after a good burp it may help to stop the small feeds every 2 hours.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 22:02:38 pm »
We don't have variable flow teats here,

We do actually.  Avent makes variable flow as does Playtex.

I agree with Laura about trying the next size up teat to see if that helps him out a bit ;)

Offline Katoeandiggy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 22:20:32 pm »
Thank you for your replies.
He's just had a bottle, the first few gulps I could hear the air but then he seemed to get a good hold and he drank 6oz. I winded him half way through.
I guess it's perseverance.