Author Topic: Tummy troubles with cereals common?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline ItsTheLittleThings

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:15:22 am »
YDD is nearly 7 mo and has been eating solids for about a month. I took the past week off from work for the xmas holiday and was surprised to find out how much rice cereal seems to impact her (stomach pain, gas, bloating, etc). Up until this time, we've been sending a single serving of solids with her to DC and they've never mentioned any issues, though I'm not sure why not (whole 'nother issue). I stopped giving her the rice cereal and tried a whole grain, organic, mixed cereal and we're seeing the same problem. We've discontinued the cereals as of yesterday and are just giving her the handful of fruits / veggies we're sure she can tolerate. Is it normal for cereals to cause such problems initially or should I be more concerned that this may be a long-term allergy? TIA for your feedback!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Tummy troubles with cereals common?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:01 pm »
I would absolutely stop the grains for a while at least. We actually don't do grains hardly at all here. They're very hard to digest for adults, even, and for babies with still-immature tummies, even more so.

I'd try sticking with other foods for now, maybe try again in a month or two to give her gut time to rest.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 14:19:32 pm »
Cereals, rice cereal in particular, are very binding. I have read that actually it shouldn't be recommended as a first food. Try some blended fruit and veges instead.

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:33:49 am »
Even though rice cereal is often recommended as a first food. It actually isn't very easy to digest and is constipating. I'd stick with the fruits & veggies & add some meat. Good luck!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014