Author Topic: Switching to FF...cold turkey when weaning?  (Read 982 times)

Offline ellenjess

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Switching to FF...cold turkey when weaning?
« on: January 02, 2012, 15:47:21 pm »
I want to get DD to start taking a bottle. She is 5 months, 3 weeks and has beenexckusively breast fed.  She refuses a bottle at the moment so I read up on how to introduce the bottle (ie start at thefirst feed, offer it every hour, stick to it for 48 hours, then offer at least once a day thereafter. Mix EBM with formula to start with. )  thing is, DD has startedon solids so how does this fit in? Do I still give the solids or offer nothing but milk for 48 hours?
Thanks

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching to FF...cold turkey when weaning?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 16:41:32 pm »
We really don't suggest colkd turkey any more unless there is a medical reason for it - it's not fair on your LO or you. Have a look at the links her to see if they help, if not I'll get some of the BF ladies to help. http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178500.0 http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=173309.0.

One of the main suggestions is to pick a time, try for 5 mins then have a break and try again. If they don't go for the bottle then offer the breast and try again the next day. It can take a while and there are lots of other suggestions in the links. You should offer solids and milk at the normal times as she could become dehydrated if you don't

HTH!

Laura

Offline ellenjess

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 20:16:48 pm »
Thanks Laura.  I read the link and tried it as you said....  DD took the bottle!! (Formula)  There was no battle, no objection, she chugged the whole lot!  I wonder if it's cos she's having some solids now - her palate has got used to having things that taste a bit different, and come from sources other than the breast.  She's just had 4oz before bedtime too, followed by a very short breastfeed.  Really pleased :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 20:29:26 pm »
Yeah! That's great news - and no need for cold turkey! Well done botrh of you!

Laura