Author Topic: Is Hemp Milk a good milk alternative for 1yr old?  (Read 3513 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Is Hemp Milk a good milk alternative for 1yr old?
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:03:00 am »
Hi, the time has come for me to wean DD. She is MSPI (will challenge around 18mos)Has anyone else used Hemp milk? I know rice milk is not recommended. Almond milk and coconut milk are possibilities although she might be a bit sensitive to coconut and also almond could hve caused trouble in past. I've drank Hemp milk on my elimination diet for months and use it in her porridge so she has had it before. Any experiences? Our dietician isn't familiar with it and is pushing the almond or coconut option...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Is Hemp Milk a good milk alternative for 1yr old?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 13:41:36 pm »
As far as I know hemp is a good choice. I agree with not wanting to try nut milks at that age (though I have been 100% sure what coconut is!). We use oat milk.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 13:57:30 pm »
oat milk here too :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline lesliemarie

• Showing Appreciation 24
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 13:59:04 pm »
I'm kind of in the same boat at the moment.  DD is almost 15mo and was MSPI but seems to only be MPI now. She has been on soy formula since about 9 months and her Pead said that if she doesn't tolerate milk to keep her on the formula until 2.  Is formula not an option for DD?  I think I remember her being on the Elemental formula but don't remember if that was still an issue.
My Little Monkey

My Little Sunshine

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 15:52:24 pm »
Than you for all your replies! She has been EBF until now. I've been eliminating dairy, soy, gluten, eggs and nuts from my diet to keep feeding her. It is insane really. I became really determined as everyone told me to stop BF and go hypoallergenic formula. Now at 13mos I have to add some foods back to my diet even if she stays restricted for the next year. She wouldn't take formula now. I am starting to mix EBM with hemp milk for her midday feed. She is totally refusing it.  ::)

Given all the options I think Hemp is our best and really only alternative for now. Oat milk won't work because of gluten ?? Almond risky with nuts. Coconut problematic in the past. As long as hemp not bad to give to children I think I have to go with it / I can't keep BF for too much longer.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 19:27:10 pm »
I have never thought oat milk having gluten. Olly is fine with it. He has a wheat allerygy and I don't give him gluten but he is fine with oat protein.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 20:41:00 pm »
I have used hemp milk with my kids.  I think it's great!  I like to cook with it. 

As my MPI kids have weaned, I have simply found that they don't drink any "milk."  We include other healthy fats and calcium sources and then try to do a calcium supplement as well.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 23:21:33 pm »
She has reacted to regular oats but I give her gluten free oats now and she seems to be ok.  I assumed oat milk would be a no-go just based on that but I'm not sure? And she has had so much trouble with grains that if Hemp is ok to use, it might be easier on her gut.

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 00:30:10 am »
I have to admit - I saw the title, and just couldn't help myself from reading to see if what you were saying wasn't a joke!! :o :o :o

When I realized that you were serious, I had to go Google the difference between Hemp and Marijuana - WOW!  I ALWAYS thought that they were the same thing!!!!

So, thank you for furthering my education! 
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06