Author Topic: Walks, newborn  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Lauren1209

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2012, 13:44:46 pm »
Hello,
I am reading about the EASY technique and am wondering at what point it is okay to take a baby out for a walk. I love to walk but I want to keep to a routine and I don't see a block of 30-40 mi utes when I can be outside with baby on a walk. At what age is it appropriate and and during activity time? Would it be to over stimulating to do this? Also, what about things like going to church?
How do you get yourself/baby out of the house and still stick to a routine and EASY?

Thanks!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Walks, newborn
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 23:52:24 pm »
I just fed, then left the house with DS in the pram when he was that little. He would be awake and enjoy the walk, then go to sleep when he was ready. I could transfer him to the cot or keep walking for the next hour...

At this age if you get one nap in the cot and LO sleeps the night in the cot, you're doing well.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 23:55:52 pm by becj86 »

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 13:11:33 pm »
I found with my guy a walk would INSTANTLY put him to sleep- they are all so different!! So with me i would more likely put him in the stroller in time for his nap then have him do the nap in the stroller. You can then leave him in the stroller if possible to finish the nap (I can bring mine inside, or use the capsule that connects).

When he was a little older I would walk during the CN time in the evening as this suited my schedule too!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lauren1209

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 20:55:21 pm »
Great! Thank you for the advice. Did you find that a walk was too much stimulation? From what I read, when they are little, just being in a different room is a lot of stimulation.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 23:40:41 pm »
They can't see far enough clearly enough for outside to be too much stimulation :P

The fresh air and natural light help them set their body clock.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 20:28:15 pm »
With a newborn you are pretty much feeding, changing a nappy and then they need to go to sleep anyway so if you left straight after a nappy change you'd get a nap in the pram or carrier.
I never ever worried about taking DS out when he was tiny.  He went just about everywhere in the carrier, awake or asleep.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 13:02:52 pm »
walks always put my LO to sleep (and I timed them for naptime) so I'd say definitely not too much stimulation!
plus, fresh air is good for everyone :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 13:10:02 pm »
We went out as much as possible, often for hours and hours every day. Scotty was an absolute angel outside and loved the walks. The pram had a large moses basket like carry cot, he slept in there for all day naps and at night until he was about 4 months old. We took the pram into the house in the day. However, we didn't usually rock or walk him to sleep, but did Tracy's techniques.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 13:25:02 pm »
However, we didn't usually rock or walk him to sleep, but did Tracy's techniques.

That is an important point to remember- making sure not every nap is out in the pram or in the car!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 16:45:48 pm »
Yes, and his pram was also his cot for those months. But long walks really saved our sanity, I often didn't know what to DO with a baby all day and fresh is SO good for them.