Author Topic: Any requests?  (Read 22420 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Any requests?
« on: January 03, 2012, 19:05:06 pm »
I have a blog focussed on family cooking but particularly for babies and toddlers.  I often work on adult recipes to make them more baby friendly, e.g. reduced or no sugar, reducing salt and trying to find ways to keep the flavour.

Is there a favourite recipe you would like me to have a go at to make it more kid friendly?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Any requests?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 20:55:14 pm »
Brilliant!
You are exactly what I was dreaming of last night.

Salmon mouse/pate please.
We had a shop bought one for our starter at Christmas (yeah I totally went cheats starter this year, decided that the entire meal needed to be way more simple than any other year so that I could spend time with DS), just on some mini oat biscuits.  TBH I didn't even bother looking at the salt content, just gave DS a small portion knowing the rest of the meal was totally salt free.  He LOVED it though so it would be super to make a no-salt version if it's possible.

Gosh I'm sure I have a huge list of things I'd like you to baby-up for me but I can't think of them at the moment.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 21:19:05 pm »
A baby salmon mousse.  Interesting.  Smoked salmon or fresh salmon?  Smoked would be tricky but I'm sure I could do something with fresh.  Only downside would it would be eat the day of make I think.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 21:50:35 pm »
You are exactly what I was dreaming of last night.

There was probably a time in all of our lives where our dreams featured dare i say more exciting things than websites about baby friendly meals for adults... but that was another time entirely!

That said- the website sounds great! I can't think of anything at the moment!! Anything i can think of im sure is easy, i'm just too lazy to work it out! How about a tasty bolognaise or lasagne without salt and extra sugar?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 21:59:23 pm »
Smoked salmon or fresh salmon?
The one we had was smoked salmon but I'm not fussy.  Surely a fresh salmon mouse would last two days if kept in the fridge wouldn't it?  What do I know though - very little ha!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 21:04:53 pm »
I've already done a bolognaise, please excuse the photo, it's not great, I keep meaning to take another one. 

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/bolognaise-adults-and-babies.html

If you don't have a slow cooker, just simmer in a pan, the slower the better IMO.  There's no extra sugar in the recipe and if you use an ultra low salt stock cube it's very low salt.

To make into a lasagne, layer up with white sauce (made with just milk and cornflour to keep salt down), easy (no precook) lasagne sheets, start with white sauce, then bolognaise sauce, lasagne sheet, repeat until you reach the top of your dish.  Finish with white sauce and loads of grated vintage / extra mature cheddar and bake for approx 40 mins at 180 - 200oC.  If you keep the salt down everywhere else the cheese content should be fine.

For under 1's I'd definitely err on the side of caution on any kind of pate.  After 1, I eased up a lot.  I'm still thinking through the pate though.  I'm determined to make it work!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 22:23:49 pm »
Ha ha- great!! Not only am I too lazy to work it out for myself I'm too lazy to CHECK it out for myself!! That looks great tho!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 00:37:08 am »
There was probably a time in all of our lives where our dreams featured dare i say more exciting things than websites about baby friendly meals for adults.

Just re-reading after i re-found this thread- I Hope you didn't take offence!! I really do find this sort of website very exciting!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 09:35:25 am »
Ok- had a think.. ice block, or iced lolly (I think that's what you call them) recipes for babies? I can think of things like mixing mango and yoghurt... but i'm sure you can think of more interesting combos! If it's not your thing- then no problem!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 15:03:48 pm »
Hmm.  I will have a think but I have to be honest it might not be till spring.  Although things are mild, they're not *that* mild!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 23:32:21 pm »
Ha ha ha- just in time for winter here!! ;) we made and loved the salmon spinach fishcakes!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 16:46:50 pm »
I'd forgotten I'd done this.  It would freeze well into a lolly shape but I would churn it first.  My son wasn't crazy keen but I think it was the cold which put him off.

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/06/no-added-sugar-frozen-yoghurt.html

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:09:49 am »
Great! Yummo!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 12:29:02 pm »
Lemonthyme: I thought you might like to see a photo of my version of your 'pepper and cheese muffins'? We love them here!! Hamish will smash3 mini muffins in a sitting! They are also GREAT for taking out and about... they brush off! I've decided mini muffins are very dangerous for mummy though- sooo easy to pop one or 2 in your mouth!  ::)- A question.. would you serve one of these as part of a meal, or a snack? what would you serve with it as part of a complete dinner?

Notice i'm trying sexy food photography?!?  ;D  8)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 17:53:02 pm »
Oooh!  I love your food photography!  Can I put the pictures on my blog (crediting you of course)!  It always makes me so proud when someone makes a recipe!

I serve them either way.  They're good as part of a meal if you're out and about but also not too naughty for a snack (for a child lol!)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 20:44:07 pm »
I thought you'd like to see them! Sure- put them on the blog no probs! Let me know if you'd like me to e-mail the photos or something, or if it's easy enough to get them off here...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 07:19:08 am »
I think it'll be easy enough off here.  I might see if I've got any other photos from people who've made things.  A vanity post for sure but it's cool when my recipes work for someone else!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 18:05:03 pm »
Hi LT, do you think you could advise on how to make your broccoli nuggets without egg?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 19:16:25 pm »
Ooh heck.  That's a tricky one.  I'm not sure it would work if I'm honest.  The egg is quite prominent.  I wonder if you made a white sauce with cheese in then bake it, that might work.  The flavour would be different but if it's a thick sauce then it might set as you bake it to hold everything together.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 19:26:13 pm »
Can't have cheese! It would have to be a sauce with corn flour or the like so maybe too gloopy.

Oh well, it was just a thought  :-*

Offline Claudiamummy

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 20:05:20 pm »
Lemonthyme, your blog is AMAZING!!...

I am going through a bit of a bonkers stage at the moment, where I am desperately trying to vary DD's diet a bit more (she is 1)

I am going to go for it on some of these...prawns are very high on my list to give her (she is yet to try but I think its ok now right?)

thanks SO much for some new inspiration

Claire
:-)

Claire

Love and adore my perfect little textbook/touchy DD
Born April 10th 2011...thank you to Dh for such an amazing gift after only 1 year of marriage!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:49 pm »
Sorry Buntybear.  I can't think of anything right now.  Are there any vegan egg substitutes out there?

Claudiamummy, check with your health visitor if you're unsure but from what I've read, fully cooked prawns are ok from 6 months.  My son loooves prawns.  If he could just eat prawns and mushrooms he would.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 13:07:26 pm »
Hi, there are but when it is one if the main ingredients I won't bother. Tried your falafels the other day (a version of anyway) and I loved them. Olly played with them but wouldn't eat them  ::) I made them with. Butter beans and I would also make a hash out of the mx instead of potatoes, yum!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 16:34:27 pm »
Cool, glad you liked even if he decided "no". 

Is he ok with meat?  Maybe mini meatloaves with hidden vegetables in them is the way to go.  They're better with cheese but can be made without.  I think I even made some with grated cooked potato in them so they can be gluten free.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 17:23:44 pm »
Hi LT - another request please! I have 2 bags of dried apricots in the cupboard that I need to use - do you think they could be boiled and pureed in baking, similar to the dates you use? Thanks!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:24 am »
Oh- and LT- how about you do a fancy low sugar birthday cake special! With low sugar icing! By next week or something! ;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 00:01:28 am »
OMG!!!! I can't believe it!! Ask and you shall receive!! I JUST got the latest blog entry into my in box and it's a BIRTHDAY CAKE WITH ICING!!! YAY that your boy's b'day is really close to my boy's!!! My guy is on the 27th may- so just in time!! So excited!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 14:06:05 pm »
Aw!  Sorry, the cake isn't actually low sugar.  Sorry I'd not been on here for a while.  I'm currently cooking his birthday cake for his party.  I figure that birthdays are excusable times off!  I'm also making sugar free jelly!

To be honest, I'd give the date and ginger cakes a whirl if you want low sugar. http://mamacook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/sugar-free-date-and-ginger-muffins-for.html

Buntybear, yep you can use apricots in things; not as sweet as dates but you could use them chopped up in place of sultanas / raisins or chopped dates.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 14:12:00 pm »
I did re-read it and saw the 'birthdays are days off' bit.. and although i agree i think i'll wait to give him a big day off as far as high sugar cake goes till he's closer to 2! (and beyond...)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 18:43:09 pm »
Yeah, mine's 2 now so I'm easing up a little.  Why don't you go for some no added sugar scones?  You could serve them with fresh strawberries and cream?  Still special without being loaded with sugar.

Offline creations

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:19 am »
Katy, I made sugar free muffins for DS's first birthday.  I made two different flavours, can't quite remember exactly what, I know one lot was banana and the other sweet potato (just not sure what other fruit I put in them) and then I 'dug out' a cone shape from the top dolloped mascarpone cheese with added vanilla in there and replaced the top (mascarpone makes a fab creamy filling or topping, I think it tastes better than whipped cream, you could also add a layer of sugar free jam too.  In the UK there are two brands which don't use sweeteners but are instead 100% fruit - still high in fruit sugars though!).  They were lovely.

You could also look here:
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipFirstBDay.htm
and here
http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/sugar-free-frosting.html
if it's not too late for you to start baking.  But beware some of those recipes have lots of syrup or have sweetener which I don't think are great, and not needed either.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 22:00:26 pm »
Thanks creations! I've seen the first website- but not the second..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 19:41:20 pm »
LT - how about a savoury profiterole?

In the supermarket yesterday I saw a pack of cheese profiteroles.  Now it's not the sort of thing I would usually buy but I was really hungry and really short of time and just saw them and grabbed them.  They were TRULY AWFUL.  But as DS is 16 months now and I don't have to be totally strict about salt levels I let him have a couple and he loved them!
There's no way I am going to buy them again, they were garbage, but it did get me thinking that the IDEA of savoury profiteroles is kind of good.  I've never made profiteroles but I think they can be frozen well can't they?  and then maybe filled with a variety of things??  I don't really know what would go well though.
They would be a good size for toddlers and could be adapted into 'finger' shape for BLWers too.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 20:22:02 pm »
It's funny you should say that, I was thinking of something similar today!  How odd! 

I wasn't thinking of filling them, more making a savoury flavoured choux.  Choux pastry is awful when it's not fresh though so I can't imagine they would keep well.

Offline creations

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 07:46:32 am »
Choux pastry is awful when it's not fresh though so I can't imagine they would keep well.
An ex of mine use to make choux (eclaires and profiteroles) in huge batches and freeze them, then defrost and then add the cream.  They always tasted wonderful so I assumed they froze well so long as they weren't already filled.
Funny it was one of the few things his mother taught him how to cook - he couldn't make himself a meal to stay alive but made THE best eclaires I've ever tasted!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 18:54:10 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks, I might give that a go.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 19:11:49 pm »
Mmm, wonder if instead of the cream you could fill with flavoured cream cheese? Oh, smoked salmon, chives and lemon!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 21:02:41 pm »
Definitely.  I'm doing a party tomorrow for my mother in law (her 70th birthday) and I've got some smoked salmon for one of the plates for the buffet and I was thinking of serving it with some lemony mayonnaise.  We're obviously vibing! 

I think there would be the opportunity to include some veg in there too.  Maybe some kind of grated or pureed veg in with the cheese (I do like to include something healthy!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 21:16:21 pm »
Avacado - like a guacamole?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 02:46:01 am »
Oh good idea! Definitely something I'm going to look into. Thank you!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 07:17:42 am »
 ;D

Offline creations

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 08:08:00 am »
wonder if instead of the cream you could fill with flavoured cream cheese?
Yep, the awful shop bought process yuck I bought were filled with a cream cheese filling and had some grated cheese on top of the profiterole.  The idea sounds great even though the processed gunk tasted more like plastic and chemicals.
I defrosted some of my mushroom, cheese and leek pate the other day, I wonder if that would work inside a choux bun?  It's smooth enough for a filling just don't know if the flavours would work, I'm not a very good cook!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 08:10:00 am »
What's the worst that could happen?  I say give it a go. 

I'm still going to go for some savoury ones without filling but I'll let you know if filling works.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 08:13:04 am »
Creations, that sounds gorgeous! Never heard of a pate like that but I often use those flavours in pastas, pies, sauces etc!

Offline creations

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 08:58:38 am »
The recipe for that pate is here
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62087.15
reply #24
It also makes a nice stir in sauce for pasta.
I froze some in plastic tubs.  It defrosted fine and DS loves it, but I did notice that some water/liquid pools in the bottom of the tub.  I suppose it could be stirred in but I didn't bother.  It's a bit like the way cream cheese separates a little and you get that wateryness separate from the cream cheese iyswim.

LT - looking forward to your savoury choux if you get there :)