Author Topic: Have anyone given their kids something like Pediasure?  (Read 10395 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Have anyone given their kids something like Pediasure?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 16:31:24 pm »
Be back to post it later Anna - currently making a big batch of DS's meatballs (with lots of veggies in there) and then have to run to pick him up from nursery!

LOVE Greek yogurt. Sadly DS can't have (no dairy) but it's one of my favorites.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 16:37:29 pm »
Could you post the meatball recipe too? Another veggie aversion here :(
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 16:38:49 pm »
He can have dairy, and he loves milk so that is a good thing (I think!).  Yogurt is hit or miss, but I do sneak it into the smoothies so when he drinks those he is getting some.  Actually I had a talk with him about smoothies and he's been drinking them a bit more.  ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 16:48:01 pm »
upg posted a long reply and it got eaten up....would love the meatball recipe DS2 wont touch anything green!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 17:05:39 pm »
karen,

i will need to try the veggie added meatballs as well but my problem is when heated from cold or frozen mine ar ehard and DS2 hates chewy texture...any guidance?

DS2 is super picky at my end and for a fleeting second i too thought pediasure but as our ped said he is tiny and picky but healthy and active so no need for additional stuff keep trying to offer everything and 1 thing that has helped for us is to skip snacks so i try and give a 3 hr break between big meals and if he is hunry he does eat ;) even if its 5 bites and then the ususal he tries!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 17:45:08 pm »
hmm dindt think about freezing uncooked meatballs...i also do kebabs which the kids will eat ds1 all the time DS2 sometimes, so will try freezing uncooked next time.

BUT i normally cook from frozen and then thawed meat so i cant really freeze it again uncooked can i?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 18:04:32 pm »
DD does well with protein (meats, eggs, fish, cheese, greek yogurt, milk, nuts, etc.), adores fruits, begs for grains, and clearly if you read the protein list she gets her dairy....I need to add more veggies to meatloaf/balls, eggs, pasta/pizza sauces, etc.

I haven't tried a smoothie in ages. She did NOT like them in the past, but I do wonder if she'd take to them now. That would absolutely make her a more well rounded eater.

Otherwise I need to be more conscious of adding vegetables to things and offer offer offer!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 19:21:36 pm »
Here is the pancake recipe. I'll be making more this weekend myself! I will be back later today or tomorrow with the meatball recipes. I generally make a large batch of cooked meatballs - about 30-40 small meatballs (bite size) and freeze them. I reheat 6 or so at a time as needed. Never had a problem with them being hard but yes, you could always freeze them in some sauce and/or reheat in sauce. My DS likes them without sauce.

Whole wheat oatmeal pancakes (dairy free)

- 3/4 cup plus two tbsp whole wheat pastry flour (or half whole wheat flour half regular)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (I use old fashioned gluten free oats cause that is what I have in the house for myself)
- 2tbsp flaxmeal or chia seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 heaping tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- splash vanilla extract
- 10-12 ounces coconut milk (I use canned light coconut milk cause it's what I have in the house)
- splash lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Let the coconut milk sit in a measuring cup with the lemon juice for a bit. Meanwhile, grind the oatmeal and combine with flours(s) and flaxmeal or chia seeds. Add in the brown sugar, salt and baking powder and combine well. Then add in the eggs (beaten lightly), vanilla, applesauce and the coconut milk with lemon. Combine well and let sit in fridge for a few hours or overnight (this isn't truly necessary but I find it thickens up the batter nicely). Heat a griddle pan or skilled on medium and when REALLY hot add the batter (I use 1 tbsp of batter for each pancake to make silver dollar size). Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on bottom and then flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.

I place them on paper towels when done to drain and freeze them. To reheat I take out the desired amount, nuke them at 30% power for 1-1.5 minutes and then put in the oven at 325 for another 3-5 minutes, then I top with Earth Balance spread before serving for DS and sometimes a bit of real maple syrup for DD.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 21:14:50 pm »
Here is the meatball recipe I use most often. If you are more concerned with green veggies instead of orange ones I would probably not use this one - the sweet/sour type taste IMO would taste odd with green veggies. In that case I use my "regular" meatballs recipe - just ground beef, bread crumbs (I use GF cause I can't do gluten), egg, garlic, onion, kosher salt and pepper and tomato paste. To that I add finely chopped spinach and/or broccoli.

1 large egg, beaten
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 cup carrot puree
2 Tbsp jam (I use all natural, no sugar added strawberry)
2 Tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flaxmeal
1 pound ground beef

In a large bowl, whisk together egg, garlic, ginger, veggie purees, jam, ketchup, salt, wheat germ and flaxmeal. Add the ground meat and mix with your hands until well combined. Using damp hands, pinch off about 1 tbsp of meat and gently shape the mixture into small golf ball-sized meatballs.

Heat a skillet on medium with 1-2 tbsp olive oil to coat the bottom. Brown on all sides (takes about 5 minutes) and then finish baking in the oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 01:18:00 am »
This is actually interesting because my friend has a 3yo who literally does not eat.  He eats 6 things in total and nothing else.  He actually passed out once because he didn't eat for 3 days and they were trying the 'hard line'.

Their paed put him on Pediasure because he's in a really low percentile and I didn't realize what the ingredients were.  It really looks just like sweetened whey protein (with iron and stuff added)?  You could do that yourself really.  Supplement the iron and the D3 and save some money on the commercial-branded meal replacement.

Greek yogurt is the bomb.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:50 am »
Can you think of anything that might substitute for egg in that recipe? Or if I increased the jam/purées would that be enough to bind it together?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:08 am »
Applesauce should work well and go with the flavors?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 02:18:13 am »
Oddly enough DD was trying to get me to buy strawberry pediasure today as she saw the PINK on the container!!!!! Ay yi yi.

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 02:50:48 am »
Worth a try Karen, thanks!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 07:12:50 am »
Can you think of anything that might substitute for egg in that recipe? Or if I increased the jam/purées would that be enough to bind it together?

Have you ever used egg replacer?  Can't think what is in it exactly, but it does work.  Now, how to make the meatballs with no egg and no wheat germ?  More flax meal?  Might do some experimenting tomorrow if I can get sweet potato at the store (I suppose a jar of baby food would do though!)

Oh, Nicole, Masyn has a fascination with strawberry soy milk for the same reason  ::)
Heidi