Author Topic: Can you share with me some ideas for lunch and tea?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Can you share with me some ideas for lunch and tea?
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:15 pm »
M seems to be hungry atm. She has 4 x 8oz bottles now and bfast and tea. I would like to introduce a lunch in the next week or so.

For bfast we have been doing ready brek or rice cereal with fruit and up to now introducing new foods at that time. For tea she has veg/chicken or something like that.

I want to introduce lunch but just wondering at this age what you give your lo's. Thinking of 3 meals a day is quite a bit for my brain! I guess i could do a more finger food type lunch? or do her main meal then and do something different for tea??

Any ideas on the kinds of food you give would be great....

xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Can you share with me some ideas for lunch and tea?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:45:19 am »
Have you seen this?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0

We tend to have our big meal at lunch time and then something smaller later on.
Yesterday was pasta with mackerel and mixed veg in tom sauce.  I consider this one of my cheats meals when I can't be bothered or run out of time.  Boil pasta in un-salted water for about 8 mins add a load of frozen mixed veg to same pan, continue to cook for a few more mins.  Drain.  Mix in a can of mackerel in tom sauce.  If LO is eating cheese then grate some on top or mix in. Easy and Yum!

Day before we had chicken and spinach Korma which was more of a 'proper' meal.
marinade chicken pieces in korma paste/spices, fry onion, add chicken, add milk, cook several mins, add a chopped banana which thickens the sauce giving a creamy texture and hides more nutrients in there, add a shed-load of washed spinach and allow to wilt, stir in.  Serve with rice.  I also gave DS some borloti beans on the side as he is generally not a big meat eater so this added to his veg and protein intake for the day.

I've been doing these sort of meals since 6 months, always checking on the amount of salt for DS.

Offline Ellie-Leo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • Cuddle in a puddle :)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »
OOh DS2 is a little younger but we are stuck in a bit of a rut because of random and unpredictable rejection of some foods, so interested to see ideas. eg not good with lumpy purees, but will eat smooth or some finger food. Will eat fingers of baby corn, butternut squash and peas, but wont eat eg carrots, broccoli, cucumber. V difficult to get meat in because a lot of the pureed meat dishes are rejected and he cant really chew and swallow eg strips of cooked chicken. So interested to see ideas!

FWIW, when I am not working I tend to do big lunch, and eg sandwich type tea/more finger foods as I just find it easier at that time of day, also juuggling tired 3.5 yr old. One good thing is muffin pizzas - cut muffin in 1/2, spread with AK style hidden veg tom sauce and  topwith cheese and eg tiny cut mushroom. Grill until nice and bubbly cheese. He loves that cut into fingers (in fact any cheese and bread combination is a great success, hence the need to branch out!)

Ellie x

Happy to have breastfed DS1 for about 8 days, and DS2 for 8 months. Tried my best both times ;)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 12:45:19 pm »
I'm in the habit of using the pre-cooked canned beans, lentils, chick-peas, the sort that are just in water, no salt, no sauce etc as they are SO easy to drain rinse and throw in to a stew or curry for protein/added veg.
He also really liked canned fish rather than fresh fish, I'm not keen on canned fish and you have to watch the salt content but it's a good source of fatty whatsits and protein.  Canned mackerel and tuna are nice and soft and moist but can be picked up as finger food.

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
At about M's age, we started to introduce open-topped sandwiches for lunches with other finger foods alongside them, e.g. salad veg like cucumber sticks and tomatoes and grated cheese etc. Sandwich fillings tend to be tinned tuna/salmon/egg mixed with a tiny bit of mayo; cheese spread and grated cheese, houmous etc. We tend to have our main meal in the evening (well 5pm!) as we are all together then.

Then we moved on to soups and taught C to dip and she loves soup and dip-dip bread which I spread with cream cheese or cheese spread. Sorry, not sure if M can't have dairy or not. C is a cheese fiend.
Now she is over one she sometimes has beans/spaghetti on toast.

The BLW cookbook has some nice finger-food type lunches in, including tuna croquettes which are dead easy to do and are yummy, frittata, lentil wedges, pesto pitta pockets etc. Let me know if you want any recipes and I don't mind posting them.

Creations- the mackerel pasta sounds yummy. C loves pasta and I love mackerel so going to try that one for definite!!! Thanks! :D

*Nicola*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:13:21 am »
I made DS breakfast and dinner of his own (mushed to the consistency appropriate to his age and stage of weaning) and gave him lunch BLW style from the first time I introduced lunch into the equation, so he just had a bit of whatever I was having at the same time I was eating. He knew it was food and it wasn't long before it was going through him (he had no teeth at that stage, so that doesn't matter provided the food is soggable/mushable between tongue and roof of mouth).

Ellie-Leo, DS has similar issues re: meat having to be small, I dice meat into tiny pieces once cooked (shred and cut across the grain) - that way he doesn't have to chew it (only has 2 teeth and one peeping through) but he can get it into his mouth and squish it, then swallow it. This works particularly well with chicken/fish but is good for slow-cooked tender beef/lamb as well. Haven't tried pork as yet but presume it would be similar.