Author Topic: rice cereal in bottle question  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:24 am »
I dont know which board to put this on but here goes...

over New Years I ran out of thickner for DS2 to put in his bottle, shops were shut for three days so I panicked. i bought rice cereal and put it in his bottle.

the first night i put three tablespoons in as I had researched on the net and thats what was recommended (1 tbls for each 2oz) that night was the first night since he was a newborn that we had nightwakings, 3 of them!!! so I cut it back to only 1tbsp. he seemed to sleep alot better during the day, nights he was a bit uncomfortable still but he hardly chucked up. it seemed to have helped but I wasnt comfortable with doing it long term. He wouldnt eat as much in his bottle (about 80-110mls which would take forever for him to eat, instead of the usual 180mls) and he was hungry earlier, i thought he was starting to snack. He seemed to be in alot of pain yesterday and I dont know if that was from teething or the rice cereal.

so this was done for three days. then i stopped and put thickener in instead. well we are back to him eating more and massive amounts of vomitting again, short short naps (1.5 hours in an 14 hour period totalled whereas we were getting 1 hour 40min naps each with the other)

what should I do?? go back to the rice cereal?? im worried it mightve been upsetting his tummy :( but this isnt great either
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:07:11 am by Avery3 »
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: rice cereal in bottle question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 14:21:57 pm »
To  be honest I would stop the cereal in the bottle just because it doesn't thicken evenly and is a choking hazard. I would however try some on a spoon after a nornmally thickened feed and see if that helps. We started rice cereal with DD at 17 weeks (I think your LO is over 5 months now?) on peads directions because she was literally pouring her reflux formula back out again. The cereal really helped her to keep the milk down. I think this is a better route than cereal in a bottle personally given that he is drinking more milk with the thickener but the cereal helps keep it down more :-\

What do you think?

Laura