Author Topic: 1 year old son with chronic constipation  (Read 23992 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: 1 year old son with chronic constipation
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:37 am »
Gluten is in wheat. Here's some basic info http://whatisgluten.net/

For common foods that contain gluten, have you seen this thread? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=135427.0

I did a quick google, Theralac looks very good. I would start out with a smaller dose and work up to the recommended dose. Probiotics can produce a profound detox within the body that can be hard for these little ones to handle sometimes. Also, is Theralac hypoallergenic?  I know with my guys, we couldn't use a probiotic that had a dairy base, we have to use a hypoallergenic probiotic, as the dairy ones constipated them further. Many kids (including MSPI kids) do just fine on dairy based probiotics, as most of the lactose, casein (milk proteins) are neutralized during the fermentation of the probiotic. My guys are just particularily sensitive to milk proteins.

For Kai osteo and chiropractic care helped alot but it is no cure for refulx or a damaged gut. It helps to settle the nervous system down and clear tension in the nervous system which should in turn allow digestion and the organs to work better.  The thing is though if there is stress on the body/gut/sphincters coming from other sources such as bacterial imbalance for example, then you need to fix that at the same time.  The osteo work is one important peice for healing but not the whole story.

As you move forward with this type of treatment, I would keep this ^^^^^^ in mind. Osteo is importan but not the whole story. I think the probiotic and dietary changes will also be key :) HtH

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:17 am »
The chiro said to only do the probiotic twice a week but on they label it says to do everyday for 2 weeks. What do u suggest? I think it can't hurt to do everyday for a few days and back off after that for maintenance. This is specially formulated for kids. By the way.   ;-)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:00 am »
Great :) Personally, I would do a small dose everyday and gradually increase... but that's JMHO. The good bacterias need a chance to colonize in the gut... I don't see how that would happen if you're only dosing 2x/week, kwim? ... but I'm not a Dr ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 02:08:36 am »
Right that's what they said on the website too. U have to build up then back off once its working. How will I know if its too much? He said he could get overstimulated by it. But he's still on all the softeners BC I didnvt want to quit cold Turkey so if anything I think I would back off those if he starting going like crazy KWIM?  I also have to ask them if its ok if I premix like the night before since I prearranged all his stuff the night before.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 03:21:27 am »
It should be fine. I add probiotics to my Ds1's expressed BM that I have in the fridge the day before giving it to him.  It doesn't seem to effect anything. Probiotics are naturally found in yogurt as well... and that's mixed a long time before you actually consume it.

The reaction you're looking for is also called "die off", when the probiotic has reacted a therapeutic level,  the pathogens in the gut (aka Bad bacterias, fungus, parasites ect) start to die and they release toxins into your body. They will often come out in the form of rash, hives ect. He may also seem to have increased food sensitivities. Also watch for irradic mood changes, defiance, sleep disturbances ect... all can be signs of die off and that the therapeutic level of probiotic treatment has been reached. That's when you know to back off a little and not to increase. If that makes sense.

To help with the detoxing process, daily detox baths are key. Put 1 cup of either Pure Apple Cider Vinegar, Baking Soda or Epsom Salts in a warm bath. Have him soak for minimum 20 minutes. The longer the better. The detox baths will help to restore the skin's PH and open the pours to allow the toxins to come out.

HtH

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2012, 03:42:22 am »
Wow thanks for all that info...why didn't the Dr mention that? Kinda important don't u think? Lol

tigerlilly905

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:03 pm »
LOL.. no kidding ;) Perhaps its b/c he specializes in osteo, not the gut specifically. The gut is a pretty complex issue. Sometimes it's not as simple as "take probiotics, you'll be fine" :P For therapeutic treatment high doses need to be reached, kwim?

Here's some info on die off  http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/help1.php

http://www.wholeapproach.com/newsletter/archives/2003/06_June.html  (this one talks about Candida die off specifically, that's one of the most popular "bad" fungus we have lingers in our guts)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2012, 20:57:27 pm »
It says he specializes in digestive disorders on his website....I will definately mention this stuff to him that you have told me about and see his take on it.  I am taking him again tomorrow afternoon for a follow up.  :)

Should I mention to him about the coconut oil?

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2012, 21:04:38 pm »
Bit late to the game here.  Being able to eat peanut butter does no mean other nuts are safe.  Peanuts/ground nuts are a legume and not a true nut like the various tree nuts.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 21:08:19 pm »
Thanks Jenn, he has been on the Almond milk for almost a week now and we still havent had any type of reaction to it.  :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 21:20:47 pm »
So question about gluten free....do I need to avoid wheat too?? How do I know if something has gluten in it?? Can it be listed as something else??

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 21:39:01 pm »
Also DS has had stuff with peanut butter on it does that count? We don't have a history of nut allergies in the family but we don't have lactose intolerance either....

I would think if he's had PB he's *probably* ok w/ nuts, but I would just introduce it slowly as you would any normal food/drink so you'll be able to watch for a reaction.

Sorry this is a bit late in the day but it has been pointed out to me that peanuts are not a nut but a legume and therefore your LO could still have an allergic reaction to tree nuts (ie almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamias, pistachios, pecans, and cashews). As pp says, introduce slowly and keep a careful eye on a reaction.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2012, 21:44:30 pm »
Oh sorry this has already been covered whilst I was getting my reply together! Glad the almond milk is going well for you.

Yes wheat is gluten. There are many websites with info about going gluten free and what ingredients to watch out for.

Here is a UK site - you may want to find one in your own country so the names of ingredients are accurate

http://www.allergyuk.org/fs_wheat.aspx

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2012, 21:45:09 pm »
buntybear, he has been on the almond milk for almost a week now. dont you think I would have seen some reaction by now?? Also, what should I look for in regards to the reaction? :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2012, 21:57:34 pm »
Sorry we crossed threads there - after a week you would have seen a fast reacting allergy ie hives, vomiting. An intolerance could still show itself but TBH I have not come across an almond intolerance before. Not impossible, but unlikely.

If you are going to eliminate a food stuff, then I think it is important that it is done for at least 2 weeks to show an improvement. If you do see signs things are healing then carry on with it as it will take much longer for the gut to heal - and be strict, hidden gluten could contribute.

Is he fully dairy free now?