Author Topic: Stopping bottle feeding???  (Read 3153 times)

Offline lily528

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
Stopping bottle feeding???
« on: January 06, 2012, 16:20:30 pm »
My dd is 16 mos old. I nursed til 13 mos old   She currently get 24 oz a day. 3 bottles at 8 oz each. One when she wakes up....one at nap time and one at bedtime. She drinks out of a dippy cup all day otherwise. Should I start to wean her off these bottles?  Is that too much milk for her age if should I just start offering it in a sippy cup instead? 
<3 Melissa

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: Stopping bottle feeding???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 21:04:46 pm »
I'm not much help to you, Melissa.  I never bottle fed my boys.
However, I'm hoping someone who has will be able to help you and this post should put you back on the radar

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 22:55:43 pm »
Hi, my DD is 15 months and has 2 bottles a day (since 12 months). She has about 15oz a day and lots of yoghurt and cheese. I don't know if that's right but if I give a full bottle in the morning, she won't eat her breakfast so gets half a bottle in the morning and a full bottle at night. I've tried switching to a cup for milk but she just spits it out (she drinks water out of cup). I'm thinking of taking away the morning bottle and only offering milk in a cup in the morning and stick to the bottle at night (for now).
It's hard to know exactly what to do!
Hopefully someone can advise us :-)

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:11:39 am »
Yea I found she wasn't eating much also. She calls for her baba in the morning I tried it in a sippy cup. She didnt drink much but was fine with it and ate her breakfast great. It's the nap and bedtime bottles I worry about. She doesn't fall asleep while drinking then but they definitely help ease her into her nap  she finishes them in my arms hands it to me when she's done and I place her in her crib awake. She goes right out after that. She is definitely routine based and will protest any change (like her mommy hehe). I'm not sure how much milk they are suppose to get now either.
<3 Melissa

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 13:04:34 pm »
hiya
well this morning DD only woke up at 8am and we lay in bed playing until 8:30 and she never indicated that she wanted her bottle so I decided to see what happens if she just has breakfast without it. I put some milk in a cup and asked her if she wanted milk during breakfast. She took a sip and looked at me (with the milk still in her mouth) and praised her about being a big girl etc. she only had 3 sips at breakfast and about 2 at lunch but I think i'll carry on trying it and hopefully she'll start getting used to it. I'll still give her the bottle before bedtime so that she still has 9oz at night and i'll make sure she has lots of dairy in other forms.
I guess it's a lot of trial and error and what you think is best at the time. Maybe if you try taking away the nap bottle first and see what happens x

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 16:51:19 pm »
I did the same this morning...went into her room to get her without the bottle...she looked for it and kept saying "ba ba"  :/ brought her into the living room where I had the milk in a sippy cup sat on the couch and gave it to her...she drank a little..stopped and said "baba"  I said no your milk is in your cup now...drinking like a big girl"  she drank some more but maybe an oz or two total...she didn't really push the issue...going to stick with this for the rest of the week and start the nap bottle next week...so afraid to take that one away...and I'm currently working on a new schedule for her so I need to do what it takes to get her sleeping right now...I know that bottle really calms her into falling asleep easily...I know when I take it away she is not going to be too happy :/  sure we will get through it.....

btw...you're little girl is adorable :)
<3 Melissa

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 19:40:36 pm »
aaah thanks, your pigeon-pear are also really sweet :-)
i was nervous about taking the bottle away at nap time, but somehow it was really easy because we switched to 1 nap around the same time so she was very tired when i put her down and she didn't seem to notice that there wasn't a bottle. just remember that you can do it all in your own time :-)
well, good luck with the cup! 

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 20:09:27 pm »
well thank you...she will definitely notice lol...she's very spirited..
<3 Melissa

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 19:55:35 pm »
oh dear, LO didn't have ANY milk from her cup today :-( .. we'll try again tomorrow!!!

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 21:21:28 pm »
stuck with no bottle at wake up and she took it very well...didn't drink much of her milk from the cup either but no crying or whining for her bottle at all :)  they say to take it one feeding at a time/week...so i'm sticking with this and then maybe trying no bottle at naptime next week...if i'm feeling brave enough and naps are going well

i wouldn't stress too much about it..just keep offering it to her and give her other sources of calcium
<3 Melissa

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 21:45:28 pm »
MY DS is a little over 12 months old and has always been on the low side of formula intake but seems to me like he is dropping the bottle on his own.  LOL  He will only drink 2-3 oz out of the bottle and then doesnt want anymore.  But when I put it in the sippy he does the same as your LOs, takes a sip and looks like 'what the heck is this' LOL.  I think it just takes some time for them to get used to.  I am still doing bottles but I am getting ready to try the morning bottle in a sippy soon.  Problem is he takes medicine in that bottle so I really need to make sure he gets it in.  But someone told me to try morning bottle first since they are most likely to be the hungriest and more likely to take the milk from the sippy.  Good luck and I will let you know how mine continues.  LOL

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:21:58 am »
Thanks same to you. My poor daughter this morning lol she took the no bottle thing well no carrying on about it. I put it in her sippy and reminded her to tilt it up (she mostly drinks from straws so this is a bit of a new concept for her). She dramatically leans back and throws her head back when she does this...cracks us up...so when I remind her to hold it she does this only this morning when she does it milk somehow squirts out somewhere and gets her in the eye LMAO I felt so bad and said oh great she's never drinking from this cup again lol I tried to give it tO her after fixing but she said noooo lol poor thing
<3 Melissa

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 15:26:29 pm »
This morning went great. No mention of baba at all. Put her down on the floor to change her diaper handed her the sippy of milk and she just hung out and downed the whole thing!!!!

Did u warm the milk for the bottles??? If so are u still warming it for the sippy?  I do. I did this with my son. He's 7 and STILL occasionally asks for warm milk hehe with her I may slowly warm it less and less over time.
<3 Melissa

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 16:12:32 pm »
Glad she is doing well with the sippy!!!  yes, I do warm the milk for his bottles, he seems to like it much better when I do.  DS is doing better with taking his bottles, finally!!! But we are down to 2 now.  One in the am and one at BT.  Maybe in a week or so we will try switching to sippy at am.  But he just turned one on Dec 27th so I am not rushing it right now.  :)

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 17:58:18 pm »
yea i don't think there is any rush in it...think many give them up around 12-16 mos..we are a bit behind lol my husband and I are going away for 6 days in the beginning of march so I a need to decide whether to do this now or wait til i get back...my sister will be caring for the kids in our house and I'm starting to wonder if I should just wait so she still at least has that comfort without me...
<3 Melissa