Author Topic: Every bottle is a battle!  (Read 965 times)

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Every bottle is a battle!
« on: January 06, 2012, 21:33:41 pm »
Hi,

My boys r 8mo now and have always been FF (apart from their 1st week).  I remember posting on here when they were 5mo worrying that i wasnt going to be able to delay weaning until 6mo as they were downing 32oz+ a day.

However, since starting solids (mainly self feeding with a little spoon feeding of porridge, yogurt etc) every bottle has become a battle. Particularly with E.  Thing is . . . it doesn't really matter how much solids i offer them - they still dont seem interested in their milk.  For e.g. last week i didnt give them any solids at breakfast and only some melon at lunch and they still only took 6oz of their 3pm bottle. 

Also, they have started refusing to take more a few mouthfuls of milk from anyone but me . . not even DH! Which makes me think its more of a behaviour thing than a hunger thing.  They r also very picky about what position they r in to have their milk. i.e. if they're not laid on a cusion with their heads on my lap they wont drink! As u can imagine this is rather difficult when were out!

The bedtime bottle is the worst - J will usually take 5 - 6oz after a battle and E no more than 4oz!

Our scedule is pretty standard - bottles every 4 hours with solids an hour after.

Im worrying myself sick that their not getting enough milk . . . whereas the rest of the family see how well they feed themselves solids and dont see a problem!

Any ideas or btdt???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Every bottle is a battle!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 22:37:57 pm »
You could try dropping to 3 bottles and see if that helps  -so wake -up, after lunch and pre nap and bedtime are common times. If cutting back solids hasn't helped you can also increase the amount of dairy in the solids they do eat as that counts towards their daily minimum 20oz.

Are you making sure milk comes 1hour+ before solids?

Laura

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Every bottle is a battle!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:44 am »
Thanks for your reply Laura,

They've both got an awful cold at the min which is affecting everything (including my beauty sleep lol).

We'll try dropping to 3 bottles in the next couple of days - actually that will work better with their new nap times!

And yes . . . I am trying to get as much dairy into their diet as i can, hence the spoon feeding of runny porridge and yogurt.

Thanks Kath