Author Topic: Lumps  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Maxdrewe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Lumps
« on: January 08, 2012, 17:25:30 pm »
My LO is 8 months and has been on solids since before 6 months- the problem is I am having trouble with moving beyond smooth stage one food- any tips?
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Lumps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 19:10:10 pm »
Rather than going lumpier have you tried offering finger foods instead.  You can by-pass the lumpy stage, LO might be happier to be given some 'real' food off your plate to pick up and put in his mouth himself.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 19:17:48 pm »
You can also try mashing rather than smooth puree - gradually leave them a bit thicker and thicker. It's hard for a lot of babies to move from puree to lumps, so making the texture "rougher" can be easier for them. I also agree with finger foods - we did a combination of mush and finger foods from the start and it worked well for my two!

Laura

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 19:34:15 pm »
I have tried finger foods: he gags and is sick :0(
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 19:42:40 pm »
Gagging on finger foods is totally normal and part of learning how to manipulate food to protect their airways. Both mine did this in the early days - banana was a popular one to gag and throw back up ::) always when I was on my own with them of course! If you keep offering and let them practice then do get it, mine still gag now on different textures or if they fill their mouths too much. In the early days mine had things like fingers of toast, steamed or roasted veg finger, pasta -or anything that was chip shaped and soft enough to gum.

Laura

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 19:51:25 pm »
Will try again then, have tried mixing food with a thicker consistencey with the smooth on the spoon so he gets a bit of both- seems to be getting there- chicken dishes are a problem though
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 13:50:15 pm »
8mo is still very early to be getting to grips with meat  :)

DS didn't really manage it until 10 or 11mo, when he had enough teeth to chew the pieces! He managed fish a bit younger though, but that is softer to eat.

We have never had any success with stage 2 or 3 foods  ::) He'll eat stage 1 purees with a bit of baby cereal mixed in, or all sorts of finger foods, but nothing in between  >:( Going to try him on mashed potato and mashed up sausage casserole for tea tonight, but am not expecting much success..

If you want to get more protein into him, blend the chicken into a smooth paste with a bit of water and add a tsp of this to his stage 1 puree, mixing well. This did work occasionally with DS, but too much chicken and he'd notice and refuse it!

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:22 am »
Thanks for the tip-maybe I should not worry too much- he loves veges and fruit and they can be quite thick
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 21:38:54 pm »
Try pasta; you can get small pasta shapes which are easy to pick up once he has pincer grip (easier than peas) but can also be spoon fed?  Also remember it's soft lumps not lumps and those lumps don't have to be big.  Just think about making the food not completely smooth, just textured.  If you ever worry your food isn't textured enough, look at commercial baby foods for the age group your son is in.  I assure you they will always make you feel better about your home cooked food!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/