Author Topic: Dropping the bottle for 16mo  (Read 1451 times)

Offline *foxy*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Dropping the bottle for 16mo
« on: January 08, 2012, 20:25:38 pm »
Hi

My dd is 16mo and I'm worried that we're giving her too much milk and that she still has milk from a bottle. She drinks water and occasionally very diluted juice from a sippy cup with no issues.
She has a morning drink of milk from a bottle, only about 3oz. Then will have 7-9oz before her nap from a bottle, this is after having a good lunch. And then has a BT bottle of up to 9oz, again after a good tea.

Should we be weaning off the bottle now and are we giving her too much milk?

*Kate*

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Dropping the bottle for 16mo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:02:19 am »
I don't think you are giving to much milk.  I think by 16 months DD was fully weaned from bottles and drinking milk out of sippy cups and meal and snack times.  I can't remember how much milk is still suggested at that age though.

I would start by weaning her bottle before her nap, then wean the morning bottle and save the bed time bottle till last.  That's just me though!
Stacey

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:19 am »
There is def. a push from doctors and dentists to ditch the bottle after the age of one when possible so that there is no effect on the teeth and their position, etc. Also, if you are offering milk in a bottle before nap and bed, be sure to brush or wipe the residue off of the teeth before sleeping. The milk residue turns to sugar as it breaks down and can rot the teeth and cause decay and cavities, etc.

That said, you can try to offer the milk in sippy cups instead and offer during meals rather than before sleeping times. If your LO still enjoys having a bottle or drink before sleeping you can try to switch to water so at least the risk of tooth decay is gone. For a time my DD was taking a sippy cup into her crib with her with water in it so she could have a sip whenever she wanted on her own.

So, essentially, yes, if she WILL take liquids from a sippy, I would try to move all her liquids, including milk to sippy cups and try to start weaning off of having milk right before sleep times. I would offer milk or water with meals and limit juice.

:)

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:14:47 pm »
Ok thankyou. I'll go and get another sippy cup and try and wean off milk before her nap and before BT. So I'll try a drink of milk after her lunch instead of right before her nap?

*Kate*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 23:24:30 pm »
After or during, whichever she'll be most receptive to.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:32 am »
Ok, we're trying to wean off the bottle but she won't take her milk from it. Is it just a matter of perservering? And I thought we'd start with her morning milk (swapping to a sippy cup) and then tackle giving her milk with lunch instead of just before her nap because we've got ourselves into a bit of a pickle as now her milk is part of her nap and bedtime routine so its going to be a challenge!

*Kate*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 23:33:50 pm »
It will take time...no pressure... just a goal to head towards. Being conscious of the teeth issue is most important. It will be fine. :)