Author Topic: 6mo Losing interest in solids...too much milk?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
6mo Losing interest in solids...too much milk?
« on: January 09, 2012, 20:00:29 pm »
I'm looking for some reassurance as i have lost my confidence a bit with solids feeding. My LO is 6 months but has been on solids for 6 weeks now as she has reflux. We sarted slowly with veggies and fruit and it was going well. However, recently her appetite seems to have waned. A couple of times she has also cried hard during feeding, after apparently enjoying her meal. I cannot understand why as i am always careful with food consistency, temperature, not forcing things etc. i was quite relaxed about how much she was eating, but recently my hv told me she should be on three solid meals a day and bf should be for drink only. :-\ (btw she won't accept a bottle so have just started offering water using a sippy cup - not very successfully so far!)..
Currently she has breakfast (eg porridge with fruit) and lunch (homemade veggies puréed) but not very much. She is ebf and has always been a regular, enthusiastic breast feeder. I am concerned that she loves her milk so much that she won't increase the amount of solids she is having. She feeds every 3-3.5 hours during the day. Will she naturally decrease bf by herself?
Her lack of appetite could be teething, as she is a drooling, snotty, red faced LO at the moment. I just wanted reassurance that I'm on the right track please....life was so much easier when it was just bf! :-\

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: 6mo Losing interest in solids...too much milk?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:16:36 am »
I forgot to mention that I have also been giving her finger foods. She seems to enjoy these but obviously they're not providing much in the way of nutrition yet....

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:31 am »
NO NO NO!! I hate to speak against the HV- but the general advice is 'solids till one are just for fun'- and Honestly- at least till 9 months or so when you'll drop a day time feed the milk is HONESTLY the main source of nutrition! We are still on 2 meals a day- and i think you'll find most LOs at 6 months are only on 1-2. Al Kids have 'hungry' days and 'non hungry' days. My guy will some days eat solids as if he's heading into the desert for a month- and others throws it all off the tray!

Great job on the finger foods- she'll pick it up fairly quickly if you offer them all the time. And the water isn't a major thing at this point either- if you are BF the fluid comes from there- the water is just for fun and tastes. My guy sometimes drinks- but mostly plays!!

You could probably look at upping your A time to increase to a 4 hour easy- check out the stickys on the EASY board and post a question on there if you have any concerns about your EASY. But again- babies don't NEED heaps of solids at 6 months- the BM is the main source of nutrition!!

The other thing is that doing more than 2 meals per day with all the feeds is a killer to fit it all in!! Don't panic either if you have A LIFE and miss a day of solids, or miss a meal of solids.. it's ok at this point!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
Totally agree with pp, I tried introducing water at around 5 months, an it took to around 10 when ds got the idea ( was bf), and we didn't really drop feeds till around 8 months, when we were on a 4 hr EASY. One thing that helped was bf-ing when up from nap, and then solids 45 mins later, and if he didn't eat, I'd top up before the next nap, BUT no feed to sleep of course.

Great with the finger foods - would also help with fine motor skills :) I'm just concerned that you said the crying comes after meals, so could this be related to her reflux, digestion?
Adam's Mum

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:42 am »
I'm just concerned that you said the crying comes after meals, so could this be related to her reflux, digestion?

Yeah- this ju,ped out to me a bit too- no personal experience.. but if anything one idea could be to step back a bit on the amount you are giving solids wise- there's no rush- and she'll be better if she's a little older! (fingers crossed)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Miamamma

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »
Ah, thank you guys...it has really helped to have some positive feedback. What the hv said to me didn't sit right, but it was still playing on my mind if you know what I mean? This morning she enjoyed some apple porridge with no tears (I have a feeling the upset was reflux related too, so will take things real slowly.) It's good to know that water isn't essential right now too, as I think it will take some time for us to get the hang of the sippy cup.
I am working on extending her A times so that she gets to a 4 hr easy...some days are better than others. Thanks again all. I feel much happier about things now x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 19:20:32 pm »
There are some foods that can aggrevate reflux - acidic foods in particular, tomatoes etc. Maybe keep a note of what food she had if she cries again? Like a food diary. Hopefully it was just a one off for you.

Offline Yazzie

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Mummy's angel
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:27:43 am »
Good luck hun, have to say your dd could still have a while before she's fully on a 4 hr EASY, so take things at her pace :)
Adam's Mum