Author Topic: Just need a hand to hold for the next few days  (Read 11297 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Just need a hand to hold for the next few days
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 16:41:35 pm »
Yeah, I don't do much dairy myself and I find when I do it bothers me...from what I have read, if you are off dairy for a long time you develop temporary lactose intolerance, perhaps that is what is bothering her? 
Heidi

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 16:56:15 pm »
could just be a temp lactose intolerence :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 18:07:48 pm »
Didn't even think of the lactose intolerance. Whats the deal with that?

SO tonight she had some risotto with a scattering of parmesan on top then a few wee spoonfuls of custard. Her face went bright red and some patches of bad skin came up on her arms, it was seriously so fast. She has had custard a few times though so I'm pretty stumped. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 18:24:21 pm »
Hmm, that is odd, sounds like an allergy to be that fast. I would have thought that parmesan being an aged cheese would have not been that bad for her. Wonder if somehting else crept in? No idea what though. x

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 18:49:23 pm »
It does sound like an allergy...was there anything else in it she hadn't had before? 

As for the lactose intolerance, I think it is just that your body has to get used to it after being off it for so long, so for me I am not actually lactose intolerant, but due to not eating dairy I have made my body that way and I would have to ease back in to dairy and then I would be fine.
Heidi

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 19:03:46 pm »
I have no idea what caused that last night.  ??? After that she just started farting like a maniac!  :o She was fine in herself though. The redness on her face and on her arms went down in about 20mins. 

A couple of NW last night but really easy to settle again so not sure whats going on here. She had a wee bit if cheese today and yet more custard with fruit. (I know, I know easy on the custard Emma! She loves it though!) Tomorrow I am going to try yoghurt. We will see what tonight brings.

She has also been a little constipated today.  :(

WWYD? Keep going?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 19:07:46 pm »
I would keep at it if it were me and jsut keep going very slowly.  R was quite constipated but seems to be coping much better.  We did need some laxitives at a stage to help though.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 19:54:47 pm »
It has been over a week now you have been trialling? A few NWs but they are getting better? I would keep going . You have come this far x

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 00:47:31 am »
I'm jumping in to hold your hand too Emma - and reading with great interest, since some day we too will be trialing dairy (right now it's just me that's trying a wee bit of yogurt and hidden milk).
Michelle

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 09:59:44 am »
She has been awake on and off since 3am...up for the day at 5.30am depsite my best efforts to get her back down. Not a happy bunny, was crunching her legs the entire time. SHe seems fine though during the day.

I'm just not convinced here. It has been over a week of the the trial and tbh she's not even had that much dairy but it does seem to be affecting her tummy. I just dont know when to call it a bust.  :-\ I can handle the NW but I cant handle the fact that she's in discomfort when I know I can stop the dairy and she wont be kwim?

Ugh, this is so hard to decide whats for the best. The dietician is great but she basically says its my call. I hate that pressure.

Thanks for helping me through this.  :-*

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 11:05:34 am »
Initially a little dairy can be tough on your tummy - I had a piece of shortbread one day and really felt my tummy.

I suppose if you are happy that she is not having dairy and cope okay with it then there is no harm keeping her off dairy for a bit longer - M was around 2 (the magic age) when he outgrew it. :-*
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:41 pm »
I don't know enough about gradually increasing tolerance to advise. If it were me and she was waking in discomfort I would stop it, but that is just me.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:29 pm »
I don't know enough about gradually increasing tolerance to advise. If it were me and she was waking in discomfort I would stop it, but that is just me.

Same here...Spencer's only symptom now is to get incredibly consitpated, so I have left it for now as it isn't worth it.  Really need to try some milk baked into something though as I never have.
Heidi

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 18:36:05 pm »
If it were me and she was waking in discomfort I would stop it, but that is just me.

Same here! Mind you my ds has experienced anaphylaxis a few time so I probably more reluctant to carry on with food challenges when there are some symptoms present due to this.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 20:03:30 pm »
If she's in obvious discomfort, I'd be tempted to quit as well, wait a month or so (to let it all get out of her system) and then start over again.  I'm sooooooooooooooo hesitant on introducing anything with K - dh and my ped keep urging me on, but I just know how awful the pain was for her in the beginning and I'm terrified to go back to that.  Right now, she's just getting a teeny bit of eczema on her face, but it's not bothering her, so I'm good with where we are.  It really is your decision, and it sounds like gradual is best.  Do you think you did too much too soon?  could you maybe pull back and just do yogurt for a wee bit, then hidden milk, then custard etc, but on a slower pace than this go around?
Michelle