Author Topic: 8 month old hates pureed!  (Read 4668 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
8 month old hates pureed!
« on: January 12, 2012, 01:42:11 am »
DD is 8 1/2 months old and used to do great with pureed foods. she doesn't want them now! We are currently on a program in the states called WIC, they give vouchers for formula and stage 2 canned foods. so i have A TON of these pureed foods just sitting in my cupboard. Kyla loves her fruits and veggies, just if we give them to her to eat.

any ideas how we can mix the pureed with finger foods? i dont want to waste all this canned food.

Also, i'm having a hard time with what to give her to eat because she doesn't eat the same time as us. my husband doesnt even get home from work until 7pm so she is usually in bed shortly after he gets home and then we eat dinner.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: 8 month old hates pureed!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:53:10 am »
You can use veggie purees a sauces over pasta. You can mix the fruit with oatmeal...or yogurt if she is ready for that. If she won't take anything off of  a soon then you can try using them as dips or spreads with other easy to eat finger foods like  those teething biscuits or  whatever..slowly working up to toast, pancakes, waffles, bagels, etc.

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 17:44:38 pm »
thank you! this morning i made her oatmeal mixed with her formula and i cut up a banana. she had no interest in the oatmeal, just the banana. any time i would even put the banana on a spoon she would turn her head, but if i took it off she would eat it. its like she is afraid of the spoon. has anyone had problems like this? will she be afraid of the spoon forever? any advice?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 18:09:11 pm »
She definitely won't be afraid of the spoon forever. Do you give her the spoon to play with? Some finger foods and a spoon on the tray? Let her get dirty with some purée in a bowl and the spoon?!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 18:45:20 pm »
This was the age I stopped spoon feeding my kids and let them have it!  They are both very stubborn, spirited kids and once they mastered the pincer grip or could pick up a spoon that was that.  My oldest used to love a "pasta" - made with overcooked rotini, flakes of meat and babyfood jars as sauce (mostly sweet potato or squash).  She ate it with her hands mostly!
Heidi

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 20:11:21 pm »
wow thanks for the great responses. i guess its time for me to suck up my need to always have her clean and clean carpet haha. im about to do lunch in 45min so i will see how it goes =) thanks again!!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 20:11:52 pm »
What about dips for breadsticks or potato wedges?  At around this age, I used to give finger foods alongside mashed / lumpy foods that I'd spoon.  He'd play with the finger foods and sometimes get them into his mouth while I spooned in the odd spoonful.  I did used to give him a spoon for him to have a go but my fridge got more food than he did.

What a rubbish plan though!  If it encourages people to buy purees, they may be less likely to try finger foods and finger foods help speech development.  And if you'd wanted to try baby led weaning... well!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 20:28:26 pm »
Lol do let us know!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 22:12:24 pm »
Doesn't WIC also cover certain other foods? Like I think cereals, perhaps cheerios are WIC approved or milk or "staple" items, right? Does it cover any fresh produce? If it does, you can try using up the last of your purees the ways we mentioned and then just buy fresh and cook the firmer stuff until soft and just let her have all finger foods. :)

OH and put an old towel or something under her highchair LOL

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 22:27:53 pm »
Oh so does mine! So I stopped and went to baby led weaning and never looked back. Now he's through that phase he will accept pureed foods again, like mash and stuff, but the great thing about self feeding is they learn to stop being so messy quickly and it takes them ages to eat!
They hardly ever choke by the way they have a great gag reflex. All the best!
First baby boy born March 2011 :)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 22:30:07 pm »
OH and put an old towel or something under her highchair LOL
One time we took Austin to a restaurant and they laid out a tablecloth under his highchair - brilliant!  We have linoleum (and a dog!) but I've used that at other people's houses.  

BLW is messy but so much fun!  Grace is the same age and doesn't do any purees, save some applesauce here and there.  Lots of fruits, veggies, rice pasta, mum-mums, avocado.  Hmm that's all I can think of at the moment but go for it - it's fun!  Love the idea of purees as dipping or sauces...
*Kate*

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 22:32:43 pm »
Mine is only doing purees and loves them LOL.

Thankfully since he can't eat a whole lot as he has major tummy issues!!! I don't know what I'd feed him if he stopped wanting the purees as all the things I mentioned I am too scared to try with him since we haven't gotten that far with "trialing" foods!

Offline LouiseV

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:35:31 am »
I just had a thought for you too - I use the jars of puree food that I have in my cupboard to make sugar free pikelets, muffins, spread for toast, frozen for iceblocks (I hold them though!) in custard that I make using egg and milk....or....and this is messy but fun....I once poured a whole jar on her high chair top, and another time on a tarpaulin outside, and just let my wee man go for it playing and enjoying the sensory experience. I did it at 4.30 so it was bath time straight after and the tarp just got a hose down!!!!!
First baby boy born March 2011 :)

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 02:57:24 am »
I did it at 4.30 so it was bath time straight after and the tarp just got a hose down!!!!!
Oh yes, bath after most mealtimes at this house, too!! ;)
*Kate*

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:11:11 am »
thank you all so much. it was so much fun today, she had a blast! she got maybe 1/3 into her mouth, the rest all over her face and highchair...but it was so adorable! she sort of used the spoon but i think we will get the hang of it =)