Author Topic: Help with plan to intro milk  (Read 8606 times)

Offline green100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 13, 2012, 18:30:06 pm »
Our DD had excessive spitting up, until about 5 months...which was the time when I eliminated milk from my diet. I've had a glass of milk on a couple of occasions and the spitting up returned. She doesn't seem to react when I eat yogurt or cheese.  Though she did spit up randomly the other day (she is now 9.5 months) and I can't figure out what it was from.  As we are approaching my return to work I'm looking to wean her for day time feeds (thinking to BM in sippy cup) then I was hoping to wean her to cow's milk at 1 year. I'm worried that she might not tolerate it, so I wanted to try and see if there is a way before then to determine her sensitivity to milk products because if there is one then we'll wean to a soy based formula instead (hopefully she tolerates that). I did try and discuss this with our MD but she didn't seem too concerned (she's not the one that would be dealing with the effects though!).

My thought was to try cheese or yogurt and see what happens. If successful maybe make an oatmeal using milk.

We are currently dealing with NW issues and then need to eliminate the DF. I'm thinking trying this out during that process isn't a good idea, but we only have so much time!

Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts, suggestions?

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: Help with plan to intro milk
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 20:17:05 pm »
has your dr diagnosed her with a milk protein intolerance?  My daughter is MSPI (so both milk and soy) and is bf.  I've recently begun introducing goat cheese, yogurt and baked goods with  milk in them into my diet, and she's been fine.  the protein in goat's milk (and sheep's milk) is smaller than in cow's milk, thus easier to digest.  Also, the process of fermenting (like in yogurt) or aging (in some cheeses) and cooking (ie baking) also helps to break down the protein.  Which is probably why she's not having trouble when you have cheese and yogurt.  She could still have the problem with cow's milk.  I drink almond or coconut milk and we've just begun giving dd2 coconut milk (it's high in fat and calcium fortified) as at a year I will not be weaning her to cow's milk, and she can't tolerate soy either, and the amino acid formula is crazy expensive.

If it's a protein issue, she may have trouble with soy as well.  I know some moms do oat milk too.  I would try some yogurt for her directly, and see how she does, then cheese (aged cheese is better).  I'd try cow's milk in your diet before I tried it in her diet.  If she spits up when you have it, I would not give it to her (even in oatmeal). 
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 21:46:51 pm »
I informed the dr(not a ped) but as I said she didn't really seem concerned and certainly didn't suggest any Dx or any testing to confirm a Dx. When I said I was planning on starting with yogurt or cheese she said that was fine but didn't really give me any ideas of what to do from there. Your response was really helpful and I think I'll try that out.

I'm not sure if it is MSPI really the spitting up was the only symptom. Though eczema can be a symptom and the Dr said she had it back at her 3 month check-up, but the only spots were exactly where her strawberry patches were, which I thought was odd and more related to that then eczema. But that cleared up by about 5months...which is also when I stopped drinking milk...hmmm.

Well I'll try out some yogurt in the next couple of weeks once this sleeping is more under control and I'm well rested to watch for signs. Thanks again!!!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 22:47:15 pm »
Olly would spit up after having milk through my BM too. How many times have you tried having a glass of milk? Maybe try again and see if she spits up? If so I wouldn't try anything to her directly IMHO. At the age of 9.5 months unless she has reflux I think spitting up would be a sign of something IYKWIM

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 00:31:55 am »
K never had eczema with the milk issue - it was intestinal for her - reflux, spitting, and mucous/blood in her stools.  Great job to you for eliminating dairy even without a ton of support from your dr - I don't think it's a coincidence that you saw an improvement in your dd!
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 01:49:42 am »
Since I stopped I've tried a glass of milk twice, but that was back closer to 6 months. In both cases she had not spit up in a good two weeks and after I had the milk she would spit up again. I'll give it a go soon once we are sleeping better. I'd love to have a glass of milk...especially chocolate milk!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:50 am »
Personally that is how I would try it, through my BM, whilst still BFibg obviously. Good luck!

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 15:06:20 pm »
if you'd like milk, have you tried almond/coconut milk?  Silk makes a dark chocolate almond milk that is sinfully delicious!!  But I think your plan sounds good - wait til sleep sorts out then you try something and see how she does - if she reacts to it in your milk, she will most certainly react (probably even stronger) if she gets it directly, so you'll know you need to wait.
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 20:26:49 pm »
If I drink a glass of milk and continue BF and she does spit up again, should I not try other dairy (yogurt or cheese) with her directly even though she doesn't react when I eat it through the BM?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 21:26:45 pm »
If she reacts to the milk protein through your BM then I would imagine she is fairly sensitive to it and so would be reluctant to give it to her directly until at least 12 months x

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 19:21:42 pm »
Okay so had a glass of milk this am...DD had a BF ~ 3 hours later and then spit up 1 hour after that. Is that a reasonable time frame for it to get in to my milk and then for dd to react? 

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 19:35:50 pm »
That seems really quick, but from what I understand the amount of time it takes something to get into your breast milk varies soooooooo widely, that there's really no way to tell.  I'm so hesitant on any dairy I'm introducing, that if it were me, I'd say yes, it was the milk and no, she's not ready for it.  If she doesn't normally spit up like that, and there's nothing else you can attribute it to, the milk seems a likely culprit.
Michelle

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 19:40:46 pm »
I would take all dairy out and try again in a week (if the symptonms are all gone). If it is the same then you know it is the milk. HTH

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 20:31:53 pm »
When I cut out the milk I continued to eat cheese and yogurt, and she never seemed to react to that. Should I have eliminated those too?/Should I eliminate them now?

Thanks for the super quick responses. It certainly helps to know there are some suggestions when you are in the thick of things.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 21:05:51 pm »
Sorry I would go back to how you were before. If she is ok with those foods go back to that x