Author Topic: Help with plan to intro milk  (Read 8611 times)

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: Help with plan to intro milk
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 00:33:44 am »
I'm terrified to do milk!  Not just for Katie but even for me, so I totally know where you're coming from!  bummer on the goat cheese - how did you try it?  Katie does eat it plain, but I also spread it on toast or put it in eggs.  I tried yogurt tonight with dinner (pasta/ham salad made with yogurt).  She ate it fine, so we'll see.....

getting fat in is a problem we have too.  She's in the 20% for her height and weight, so she's tiny.  She like avocado, I just don't do it very often.

did the diaper rash start when you started the hemp milk?  hmm.....if it doesn't clear up then my guess would be some sort of allergic reaction.  I don't know anyone else who's had an issue with it, but my experience with hemp milk is pretty limited.  I hope that's not it!
Michelle

Offline green100

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 02:38:59 am »
yes the diaper rash appeared in the last day or so after starting the hemp milk BUT we also started using cloth over night around then which we hadn't been doing recently. Fingers crossed it's just a diaper issue...I'm running out of weaning options! Well there is always formula.

Tried the goat's cheese with toast, and plain. Tried goat's yogurt plain and it was too tart even for me and then with lots of mango puree and still no go. Even with the mango puree when I ate it I added honey. It does have a very distinct taste which not everyone likes.

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 19:23:11 pm »
I've never had goat's yogurt, but I'm guessing that would be too tart for me too.  We tried several different versions of cheese and found one that is super mild, so that may be why Katie likes it.  So far she seems fine with the yogurt - no spit up, no eczema and she sttn last night.  Naps are bad, but that's the 2 to 1 switch I think.

We cd as well but use disposables at night  - I just could pack it full enough to keep her all night without it becoming too bulky to get jammies on.  Plus, I didn't like the thought of her in the massive wet diaper all night.  Do you use a fleece liner to wick the moisture away?  Is the rash clearing up?
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »
Rash is clearing. Going to try cloth again today, but back to disposables overnight. We did use a fleece liner overnight, but usually we don't during the day and just use a biodegradable liner.

sttn - nice!

Not sure what our next step is? do I do another trial of me drinking milk?  Should I not start yogurt or cheese until milk through BM is okay?  She's never had an issue with me eating those.  I was only planning on BF through the daycare transition then was going to stop once we were good and settled in to a routine, so I don't think that will be much longer, maybe 6 weeks.

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 17:04:52 pm »
glad the rash is clearing :)  In terms of what to try next, that depends on what's more important to you.  For us, I've eaten everything except plain milk, and I'm good with staying there til we're done bfing (probably a couple months for us, but not much more) and I'd rather focus on seeing what Katie can eat.  So we're giving yogurt a couple more weeks and then we'll try butter in cooked stuff, then cheeses etc.  So it really depends on what you want to try  - milk for you or more stuff for her?  If the goal is to get to milk for her, I'd keep on the gradual process on reintroduction for her, but that's just my thoughts.
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 19:49:32 pm »
Thanks! I found another culprit for the diaper rash...cutting tooth number 7, and it looks like 8, 9, and 10 are close behind. Seems that the cd aggrevate it more, probably because they keep the area slightly wetter. I think that it's not the hemp milk, but will keep monitoring closely.  I think we'll proceed with introducing items to her instead now.  Wanted to try yogurt (to use as a topping on her bday cake in lieu of icing) but she won't let me feed it to her or pick up anything that has been dipped in it. Maybe she just knows she's not ready for it?

Thanks again!

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 00:19:38 am »
ugh...teething....that can mess everything up because I'm always wondering "is that eczema or is she drooling too much?"  same with sleep disturbances...and diaper rashes.....but at least it doesn't appear to be the hemp milk :)

babies really do seem to know things, so maybe she does know it's not time for yogurt yet.  I made a dairy free cake/frosting for Katie's bday if you're interested I can send you the links.  It was really tasty!
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:32 am »
Sure I'd love the link! We made a apple/banana cake which was pretty good, but I'm stuck on the icing as the one I was going to try was yogurt and pineapple...but with the no go on yogurt, she was just going to get a plain cake. Not so exciting for 1st bday cake pics!

She ate a small amount of cheese yesterday. So we'll try a little more today and see how that goes. She is in a foul mood today but again I think it's because of the teething.

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 18:09:28 pm »
I'm in a foul mood when they're teething ;) 

Here's the cake I made:  http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/cakes/r/yellowcake.htm and here's the frosting:  http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/sweetsaucesfrostings/r/coconutfrosting.htm

I used Earth's Balance psuedo butter - the soy free variety.  It was fine in the cake, but in the frosting, because it's a tub spread and not a stick spread, it made the frosting a bit runny, so I needed more powdered sugar (next time, I'd use less milk I think).   And I had to frost fast because the room was warm and that made the frosting softer.  But I popped it in the fridge and it hardened nicely, so I did another quick layer of frosting the morning of to cover any imperfections.  I know it's got coconut in it, but you could eliminate that if allergies are a concern and just use your hemp milk.  That website has lots of good dairy free recipes, I use it all the time.

I hope the cheese goes well!!
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 23:38:37 pm »
Thanks for the link! Lots of options!

Day 2 of cheese and she wouldn't really eat any, just the smallest amount. Then after dinner DH was asking about the rash around her mouth and I looked and there was a rash...hoping it's just from all the drooling due to teething.

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 11:17:15 am »
ugh....I hope it's just from teething....but I"d keep a close watch on it - especially if she's hesitant to eat more cheese - her tummy may be bothering her, but she can't tell you that.
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 17:52:30 pm »
DD is loving cheese now. Especially melted with pasta. We've tried milk baked in stuff too, she ate so little of it we'll have to try a few more times to be sure.  After she's more settled in to daycare and not trying so much new stuff there, we'll try some milk. Over all things are going very well.

That rash I think is from the juice of more acidic foods sitting on her face too long. She does have pretty sensitive skin and hates having her face washed!

Offline deckchariot

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 00:34:56 am »
YAY!!!  That's wonderful!!!  We're going away on vacation next week, but when we get back we're going to try milk/butter in cooked things and cheese.  I'm so eager to be done with diet restrictions for the both of us!
Michelle

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 23:35:25 pm »
Agreed!!! Enjoy your trip and good luck with the trials when you return!

Offline green100

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 12:00:23 pm »
So here we are a month later loving cheese, hemp milk, eating stuff with milk baked in to it, still not liking yogurt but seems to have no reaction to it. Everything is going well with the transition to daycare, napping well, sttn, normal poops, no spitting up no eczema. We decided to start trying cow's milk last week an ounce a day. She tried for 2 days then got sick with some virus (fever and rash) so we stopped the trial. A week later she's back to normal we start the trial again and 2 days later she's got a runny nose, seems to be a head cold. Any chance the illnesses are related to the cow's milk? I guess it could depress her immune system?