Author Topic: 3 mnths old Ready for 3 to 4 hr EASY? HELP  (Read 1350 times)

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
3 mnths old Ready for 3 to 4 hr EASY? HELP
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:04:02 am »
My little one has been following easy since 6 wks and has been STTN since then. We follow a 3 hr easy starting at 7 his last feed is at 7 then we put him to bed and DF around 930 and he sleeps straight through! ;D I notice his first am nap isnt as long as it used to when he was itty bitty but he always atleast gets in 45 min..his other 2 naps are atleast an hour. Ive been noticing over the last week when its time to feed hes not finishing it all and started to play-like smile etc I have a feeling hes not that hungry. Hes not even crying near the 3 hr mark can I try every 3 1/2 or gradually move him to 4? WDYT?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 3 mnths old Ready for 3 to 4 hr EASY? HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:16 am »
Yes, try a 3.5 hour EASY, if no better with the feeds try 4 hours. Be careful with A times though, don't jump to a true 4 hour EASY as he won't be ready for 2 hours A time yet. It does sound like you need to do a bit more A time though if naps are getting shorter but increase in 10 min intervals so you do it slowly.

Formula fed babies often need to go to 4 hour EASY for feeds before they are ready for the A time so you won't get a proper EASY for a while but it will sort itself back out as he gets older. If you find that E comes right before S try not to feed to sleep!

Laura

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 13:09:24 pm »
Thanks Lolly will try this. How long should he be awake for 3 mnths is about 1 hr 45mins?

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 20:16:48 pm »
The morning went well L/O woke up at 730am and by 9 was napping until 11:30am which was perfect right on time for the feed but little one only napped for 1/2 hr and has been up since 130 pm so of course its 310 pm and hes falling asleep but hes due to eat at 330 I must wake him for the feed should I let him go back to napping after? HELP

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 21:17:19 pm »
I would feed him before he is asleep rather than wake him, did you try to get him down earlier? If he short naps you need to cut the next A time. You may have to let him sleep and feed him when he wakes.

Laura

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 20:41:08 pm »
He's been doing great on the 4 hr easy and finishing the 6 oz but my question is for his weight 13 lbs if I do the calculation of how much he should be eating 2.5(min)x13 it equals 32.5 so by going to 4 hr easy it cuts his feeds from 6 to 5 including the DF but the issue is I don't think he will eat more than 6 oz and with 5 feeds it should be 6.50 oz bottles and his DF is never a predictable amount but always atleast 4 oz normally he sleeps until 7-730 but was up this morning at 6am Is he getting enough in?? Not sure how to go about this

Offline Lolly

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 21:11:34 pm »
I really wouldn't worry about how much they are *supposed* to get, just offer bottles slightly bigger than you think he will take and he will take what he needs. If he is showing hungry cues follow his lead and feed him. If he is alert and active when he is awake, sleeps well, has plenty of wet and dirty nappies and growing he is getting what he needs!

My DD was 8lb 11oz born and gained weight really well, but she very, very rarely took more than 25oz a day even when her weight said she should be taking 36oz+ a day and she stuck like glue to the 91st centile so was clearly getting what she needed.

He will probably increase his feeds soon, particularly when he gets used to the 4 hour EASY. What flow teat do you have him on - try a faster one if he's not on the fastest yet.

Laura

Offline ChicStylishMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 16:59:43 pm »
He's on the medium teat I do have the fast also I'm
starting to use them too. He woke up at 4 am today unswaddled so unsure if he woke up because he was hungry or because he may have woke himself up so I gave him 4 oz anyway so he would atleast let us go back to sleep until 7-730. That was the first wake up before 630am since he was 7 wks old! Hope hes not waking because he's not getting enough in during day eeks because he simply can't handle the suggested 6 1/2 oz. His DF he took 6 oz last night which was great! lets see how tonight goes