Author Topic: 18 month old- hates food  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:27 am »
I actually don't see anything wrong with milk on waking.  My DD2 still has a BF first thing and then breakfast an hour later. So I think it would be fine to offer a few oz of milk on waking and then let your parents give him breakfast there. 

I think the mentality that he has consistantly been in the 3rd-5th percentile makes me feel better. And he is soooo active. he doesnt stop from the moment he wakes up until the moment he goes down
I was always told so long as they follow a curve and don't deviate too much then it is fine so definately do keep that in mind!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 18 month old- hates food
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 13:30:25 pm »
I agree.  My son has been resolutely 'average' all his life; somewhere between 50 and 75 centiles.  It's like he knows the curve.  The HV are always happy when they see him but that's more because he's following what's right for him.  I'm sure the curve your child is on is right for him too.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline lizzib45

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 04:03:23 am »
So an update. We reduced milk down- but I think after recalculating where he was at before, I think it was really 30 oz of milk- yikes!
So we are at 4 oz at morning wake up, 6 oz with breakfast and lunch then 7 oz at bedtime.  Which is 23. its not 18-20 but I am having a hard time cutting out a few more oz. Up till today no change at all in his eating- still a few bites each meal. Yesterday, he had some goldish- well alot actually. He kept coming back for more. Today he ate a really good amount! He stole a bunch of my dads yogurt with berries for lunch.I just hope its not a fluke- since he does tend to have 1-2 really good eating days every few weeks. I also am about half and half pediasure and milk for extra nutrients he isnt getting with good. I might see how it goes in a few days and do 5oz instead of 6 for 2 meals but the morning milk I am having a hard time cutting down- I figure with being asleep and no milk for 11 hours he has to be starving. So we are working on it, with *hopeful* results? Hoping?

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:38 am »
Great start for sure!  Don't be scared to cut down more hun... he will make up for it.  Offer water with meals and all will fall into place quickly :)

My DD took a good 3 weeks of me trying to cut her first morning milk out before she stopped having a meltdown about it ;)  I just get her up and get some oatmeal ready ASAP and she is totally fine!

If he really loves that morning milk, let him keep it!  Just keep it at 4 ozs and the BT milk at 7ozs... drop the rest during the day.  Honestly, he is still getting far too much for his age, IMO.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 18:30:20 pm »
 How do you give the morning milk? In a sippy? On the go? In his highchair? In your arms?  Just wondering what he would think if he got the 3 or 4 oz sippy along with a few chunks of fruit along side it, and maybe a few cheerios.  Say nothing, just put them all out together.  I think that's what I'd do.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 21:40:47 pm »
Good idea...

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 16:55:53 pm »
Sorry, not sure if you said, is he having this in a bottle or a cup?  It's recommended to have in a cup by 1 and often people find they cut back milk intake a bit once they move to a cup.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline lizzib45

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 23:34:45 pm »
Hi ladies. Yes he gets 4-5 oz in the AM by through his bottle- he absolutely will not drink out of a cup or sippy for bed time of MOTN- which for him is 430-530 when he wakes up.  I think this weekend will try the oatmeal or cheerios first thing in the morning. I am having a rough mental day about it. He definitely feels lighter But he actually got snacks and food out of the pantry at my moms and wanted her to make him food. But how much weight is OK for him to lose doing this? I have a scale(for my sanity) and I weigh him every friday night. He had alreayd lost 3 oz last week and I am concerned he has lots more this week. I am trying to remain positive that it may take a month to get him on track. We did reduce his day milk to 12 total during the day. but he WANTS it. he say the empty bottle and was ed off and I feel like I am starving him. The kid totally has my metabolism so I get its hard to gain weight, but he needs to eat. Its better but just having a hard time with it today. Ugh!!! Who would ever think that a kid wouldnt want to eat? that was definitely not in my brain at all when I was PG or when he was an infant.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:55 am »
Huge hugs hun!  He will be fine, promise.  Don't worry about a bit of weight loss - he will make up for it once he gets used to eating more.  The best thing to do with toddler eating habits is to look at their intake in terms of a week, not day to day. 

You are not starving him - giving him too much milk is what prevented him from getting a proper balanced diet - he may not like what you are doing now, but he WILL adjust! 

I would get rid of all bottles during the day and let him keep that bedtime one for now.