Author Topic: What do these foods have in common?  (Read 5824 times)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
What do these foods have in common?
« on: January 15, 2012, 19:59:49 pm »
DS seems to have reflux flares whenever I've trialed any of the following foods:

bananas, avocados, carrots and slightly with mangos.

He doesn't seem to have trouble with: pears, squash, sweet potatoes, apples, or blueberries. And aside from constipation, seemed fine with chicken, turkey, rice and oatmeal cereals.

Do they have any commonalities that are not present in the foods he tolerates well? I looked for sals content but bananas were listed as "negligible" in amount so figured that probably wasn't it. Just wondering if there was something I wasn't seeing that would help determine what other foods might cause trouble as we continue on our "trialing" journey.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »
i checked on my allergy handbook and i suspect it might br Vitamine A which is high in yellow, orange and green veggies and fish, shell fish and beta carotene.  Tomato, milk product, cheese and corn products also.  HTH

Offline ~*Nicole*~

Re: What do these foods have in common?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 14:30:09 pm »
I'll look into that, thanks! I would think that the squash would be problematic as well then which doesn't seem to be the case.

Does your book have any information on amines? Was perusing google and found a tidbit on amine sensitivity and overripe bananas and avocados being culprits there.

Of course, I also read up on kidney issues and food sensitivities and it is likely that he has issues b/c of his malformed kidney that was removed.

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 14:55:23 pm »
there isnt a group related to ammonia in the book but it states that banana and avocado are rich in Vitamine B6 and banana is rich in potassium, avocado folic acid.

It could also be a combination of Vitamine A with something, like Vitamines B6, or just towards that one food, avocado, for instance. 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 15:09:34 pm »
Different tree pollens cause allergic reactions in clusters - so when allergic to one type of pollen, you tend to have reactions to certain types of fruit and vegetable that are related. Does not mean you will react to all of them, but they do tend to cluster. It is generally called 'oral allergy syndrome.'

While it does typically have skin / rash / oral reactions, if you don't, then it can cause reflux episodes, vomiting, etc.

Avacados, bananas and carrots are all clustered together as an allergy to birch trees/birch tree pollen.  And mango is a cross reaction to all of them - ie if you have a pollen allergy to any tree pollen then mango will cross react with any of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome#Cross_reactions

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 15:25:46 pm »
Mashi-Thank you for that information! I had briefly read something about that on a baby food site but they had different foods listed.

Here is their birch list:

Birch Pollen Allergies

Birch pollen allergies are associated with apple, carrot, cherry, pear, peach, plum, fennel, walnut, potato, spinach, buckwheat, peanut, honey, celery, and kiwifruit.

and then I did note they had this for latex:

Latex allergies may be cross-reactive to banana, avocado, kiwi and papaya.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 23:48:54 pm »
and then I did note they had this for latex:

Latex allergies may be cross-reactive to banana, avocado, kiwi and papaya.

I was thinking of this when I read your list.  I have a latex allergy and have been cautioned about these fruits. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 00:12:51 am »
When did you know you had a latex allergy? Was it something that was always there from infancy/childhood or something that became an allergy issue as you got older?

He has been exposed to latex and been pretty much fine. Bandaids at the ped's office for vaccines, and then gloves and other latex based adhesive when he had his kidney removed in the hospital. The adhesive did leave a bit of redness on his skin that seemed like a mild rash but nothing major at all and subsided quickly and easily in a day or so. When I read about it they said it could develop as you got older so I wasn't sure if I should be on the lookout for it as he got older.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:23 am »
When did you know you had a latex allergy? Was it something that was always there from infancy/childhood or something that became an allergy issue as you got older?

When I was a teenager I my hands would break out if I wore latex gloves.  When I was pregnant, I blew up 30 latex balloons one night and my mouth started to feel funny--like my tongue/throat were swelling.  I took benadryl and was fine. 

I've been advised it's common for the allergy to become more pronounced.  I am very careful around balloons now.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 22:34:25 pm »
Good to know. I'll keep that in the back of my head then!