Author Topic: How to follow EASY with current schedule my DS is on?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to follow EASY with current schedule my DS is on?
« on: January 15, 2012, 20:16:15 pm »
I want to switch my DS to four hour feedings, he is 4 mo.  I kind of followed the basics of BW with my DS, had a hard time getting him to do it, so I followed the basic theory of it.  Here is his schedule
wake: 7:30/8
E: 7:30/8
A
S: 9:30/10:00 (usually just two hours after wake time)
E: 11:00/11:30
A
S: 1:00/1:30
E 3:00/3:30 (so he usually goes four hours here)
CT: 5:00/5:30 (i Only let him go about a half hour here)
E: 6:00/6:30
bath at about 7:45, and then bottle, and bed, usually by 8:30.
and he wakes for one NF.  Just wondering how to go about switching him to four hour feedings...should I do it gradually, like maybe have him start to go fifteen min longer for his second feed for a few days, til its four hours, or just have him go four hours, unless he's hungry at 3 1/2?  I usually wake him from his naps, but lately he's not been napping well at all, so I still have him wait til his normal time to feed even if he wakes up early.  Then he'd be eating at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, and 7:30. He just has his last feedings so close, I dont know how to go about changing it up, and making sure he still has a full belly when he goes to bed?

Offline Jiinx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
Re: How to follow EASY with current schedule my DS is on?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 01:41:53 am »
hey hun,
 I think I'll move you to Breast feeding? I can't remember when I switched my daughter to 4 hours or if I did it gradually or just did it one day at 4 hours..she had reflux so everything is a painful blur :S

I'm here, though, if you need a routine tweak..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:43:41 am by Jiinx »
*Sarah*

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:23:16 am »
Hi there!
The transition from 3-4 hour feedings is fairly tricky for some BF babies.  With all of mine, I found we kind of hovered around the 3.5 hour mark for awhile before moving to the full 4 hours.  Some bf babies don't really make it to 4 hours until closer to 6 months (that being said, mine were all transitioned to 4 hours by about 5 months).  What worked with us is that we would end up with a 4 hour cycle for our first cycle of the day (I think with the big feed they would take in the AM they would have full enough tummies to make it that far).  After that, we sometimes would be closer to a 3.5 hour EASY as the day went on, sometimes even a 3 hour EASY. 
So, to answer your question, I would try to stretch him gradually -- adding 15 minutes for a few days and then 15 minutes more is a great idea.  If you're getting good naps and he sleeps through until the next feed (at 4 hours) then don't feed him earlier.  But if you're not getting the naps, I would go ahead and feed him before 4 hours is up.  It's kind of a back and forth process, but you'll get there in the end. 

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 02:43:26 am »
Thanks ladies..and sorry, I used to wrong wording...he is formula baby :)  But I worked at it today, and he did it just fine, no problems, took a two hour nap, so I let him go to four hours, then fed, and for his last feed it was closer to three hours in order to fit in his bath and things before BT, so he ate at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, and then 6:30, and then he had a couple more oz just before bed after his bath....hoping we have a good night! :)  Thanks for your input! I was afraid to let him take 2 two hour naps, and a CN, thinking he would be sleeping too much during the day...so here's to hoping sleep breeds sleep!

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:28:57 am »
Thanks ladies..and sorry, I used to wrong wording...he is formula baby
LOL!  I'll just shift you over to bottle feeding then, so you can ask any other questions you have.  Hoping you have a good night! :)