Author Topic: Constipation - When to call the Doctor?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline ShannoRylea

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 15, 2012, 23:46:33 pm »
My 5 month lo started sweet potato on Monday. She ate sweet potato (small amounts) at dinner along with her regular bf schedule. She has not had a bowel movement since Monday. Wednesday I took her off the sweet potato and left her stricktly with breast milk. She still hasn't had any bowel movement and we will be going on 1 week tomorrow. I've been giving her since Saturday a bit of apple juice (diluted) along with bicycle legs and tummy massages. She gets a warm bath at night and still nothing. She is passing gas.. When should we be concerned?
Thanks everyone!

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
Re: Constipation - When to call the Doctor?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 23:50:34 pm »
It's been one week so I think she must be very uncomfortable. Call your dr tomorrow first thing. You can also try eating raisins or prunes yourself and bf. it helps a lot.

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline ShannoRylea

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 19:06:22 pm »
Thank you! I just came home from the doctor.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 19:08:15 pm »
Two weeks can be completely normal with BF babies.  Breastmilk is brilliant for helping prevent constipation but it's so digestible, there's often not much left!  If she's only had a tiny amount of sweet potato on top, that might be the cause?

You don't say where you live but if you're in the UK see your health visitor if you're worried. Of course if she's unhappy or in pain, definitely see your Doc.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/