Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #4  (Read 52111 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #4
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2012, 01:22:36 am »
I found that once DS got those first few signs all the other ones came on pretty fast
Very true!  Welcome, Justine!

DD signed 'help' right around 12 mo as well.  She has a spirited side and tries hard to do everything herself, even things a bit too difficult for her.  One day my mom was over and DD was so frustrated that she couldn't turn her walker toy around by herself, so my mom asked her if she needed 'help'.  From that day forward, she used the sign when her frustration was mounting.  I so clearly remember it, because it was one of the most useful signs for us. :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:13 am »
Gosh i am super jealous of all you guys and your little signers!!! The more time i spend with 1 year olds the more i realise that this signing thing with babies is a good idea- they have sooo much to say- but not the means to say it!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2012, 05:55:30 am »
I think F has been signing help for about a month or so, so somewhere between 11-12 months also.

I'm wondering has anyone else has signed feelings - happy, angry, frustrated etc - and what age your LO could start to get those concepts?

Katy, Felicity has SO MUCH to say! So so glad we've given her a means to say it!
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 08:29:59 am »
I'd suggest to sign the feelings, even if they don't get it initially it can help them to begin to understand them... more concrete than the word.. Especially if you are already signing happily and adding a few others won't burden you...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline katie80

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 19:14:32 pm »
We signed feelings/states of emotion (happy/laughing, sad/crying, etc).  I have no idea when she started to use them, though. :-\  It's not as clear a memory for me as 'help' was, obviously.  My guess is around 15-18 mo.  I wonder if I have it written down.  (That's another reason why I'm joining all these threads the second time around, to make sure I have it written down. :P)  What I do remember is that she used them often to describe other babies she saw and never herself.  I would think that's pretty developmentally appropriate, though, as we're still working on getting her to verbally express and correctly deal with her feelings as a 3 yr old.  HTH   

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 17:05:39 pm »
How do you ladies distinguish between your LO signing "milk" and waving bye bye, they look the same to me. I am thinking maybe to use a different sign for milk, because he used it today and I realized I don't know which one he meant. He waves bye bye sometimes just out of the blue, regardless someone is going away :)
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 14:14:18 pm »
My lo only waves when no one is looking at him, like 'hello, look at me!' :)

We've not had any signs since that 'duck' weeks ago. beginning to doubt it happened now!

He does keep doing weird hand movements tho, but I don't think they mean anything, like babbling in sign language. Anyone else seen this sort of thing? The other day it looked like he was reving a motorbike with one hand and waving with the other or something. Don't know what it meant but he seemed very happy and excited about it. Maybe the baby equivelant of patting head/rubbing tummy :)
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline katie80

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 19:47:09 pm »
Ima - That one was never confusing for us, I guess because DD waved back and forth, not opening and closing her hand.  You don't have to use the real sign, though, of course you can make one up.

Maybe the baby equivelant of patting head/rubbing tummy :)
LOL! :D

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 16:52:57 pm »
UK mamas, I saw this and thought it would be useful for anyone signing:
http://signmonkey.net/

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 17:03:08 pm »
We've had a breakthru, or at least I have! Realised that my lo is signing, ut I hadn't been paying enough attention. Yesterday he did "bath" and "eat/food" today he's done "light" when I put the lamp on this morning and "play" at my friends house :) Hurray!! So exciting :)
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 22:42:43 pm »
YAY!!! Ok- I am so clearly a victim of the 'baby olympics' syndrome... not inrelation to gross motor goals- but language and signing goals!! (I am a speech path after all).. I'm now determined that my guy will be doing one sign at least by nearly 11 months- Hayley- you have set the standard for me!! :P (I will now spend every waking moment signing to hamish.. his first sign will no doubt be a combination hat means something like 'get out of my face mum!!!')
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:02 am »
lol amayzie! The signs my lo are doing only bear a passing resemblence to the signs I've been teaching him, it was a case of getting my eye in, which is what I mean about a breakthru. LIke you I was inspired by reading the bumf that my sign teacher had in the classroom about her experiences. She had written that her little girl was learning from 5months and could do 15 signs by age 1. So I thought, well F must be able to do something soon. And then I started really looking.
For "food" he was trying to chew the banana skin of the banana he had just eaten and i said do you want some more? and he immediately put his finger in his mouth. Normally I wouldn't have noticed this but because of the context and my new eyes I took it as a sign. Then later it was bathtime and I said "daddy will take you to the bath soon" Dp said " one minute" and the F started crying and put his hand up behind his ear. Again only half a sign but the context was right. "play" looked the same as "bath" but he'd crawled up to my friends little boy who was playing with his back to him, so again context.

So, yeah, keep your eyes peeled, because I'm wondering how long F's been doing these and I've not noticed. Presumably they'll get stronger now I can encourage and correct them. He still can't clap so the 2 handed signs will probably come later.
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline badpixie

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • little man
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:29 am »
loving the sign monkey site, Anna! Brilliant :)
Hayley, mum to Freddie

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:06 am »
People, when did you make a concerted effort to start signing with your Los? Of course I can't remember when we started with Stan...

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »
I started half heartedly at 6 months then at 9 months (when he was sitting up by himself) I started with more effort and slowly upped the frequency - but it wasn't until around 11 or 12 months before I got my first sign - after that first one within weeks he was doing loads - it was like he knew all along but thought it was just something I did and not him...