Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #4  (Read 52107 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #4
« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2013, 21:22:11 pm »
Thank you! :-*

NW: I go in and give Aud a cuddle and ask "What do you need?" She signs 'medicine'. "Where does it hurt?" She points to her teeth. Give Nurofen and Bonjela... cuddles, back into bed. So much easier this way!!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #196 on: March 08, 2013, 21:34:39 pm »
You can tell Brad is a pro ;) Audrey looks like a pro too though. So adorable. It does make it easier to be able to understand what they want.

We have the sign for "where" now. Colby is constantly losing his ball under the sofa or such and saying "ball" whilst signing where. He often signs one word while saying another actually like he'll say orange and sign please or say more while signing potty. It's like a basic form of two word sentences perhaps?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 19:20:23 pm »
Hi ladies!  So, i started some simple signs with DD, she's 10 months now and this last week she's really getting the hang of it, it's very cool!  Just a couple of questions,  i BF and using the sign for milk ( should have maybe thought that through) she's picked that one up really well,  the thing is she does it all the time now,  at first i tried to give her the breast so she knew she was doing it right but now she does it even while she's eating?  Is she practicing?  Could she be using it to tell me she's thirsty?  I use a different sign for her sippy but she's not picked that one up yet!  The worst time is before naps,  I've started feeding her (bf) before naps as her A Time increased but even after she's had the bf, I've changed her nappy she starts screaming and making the milk sign,  i feel terrible that I've given her the ability to ask for something and now I'm refusing it! Except today,   i gave in today as she was awake for 6 hours and i really needed her to sleep!  How do you know if they are practicing or not?  And what do you do if they are asking all the time,  i can't possibly give it to her every time she asks? I'm very confused! ! Please help! !

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2013, 19:44:21 pm »
Hi again Georgena :)
I only used a few signs with my DS, toilet, eat, drink, I think that was all.  I did find that he would he adapted the eat and drink into one sign and just used that regardless of if it was hunger or thirst - the thing is that he was able to communicate he needed something and it was pretty easy to work out which he needed even if it meant offering both, for him his needs were met so he didn't need to do more than that.  Do you think it might be possible she is signing milk meaning she is hungry or thirsty rather than actually wanting to bf?  If she is using the same sign when she is eating solids I can imagine that she has combined the two things, bfing and solids, into one sign (thinking of your other thread too with her increased hunger in the afternoon, maybe a solids snack will help). Or another thought is that she is thirsty and might perhaps be satisfied with a sippy cup of water rather than a bf (you said she isn't signing for the sippy cup yet but perhaps just physically offer it instead of the breast?).  What do you think?

Offline Georgena

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2013, 20:28:27 pm »
Hi creations,we've got to stop bumping into eachother!!  :) it feels like im posting on all the boards at the moment!! So i think you are right with the fact shes thirsty/hungry, ive been offering the sippy when she does the sign and she seems quite happy with that,also i think the snack today really helped, she did the sign for milk before hand,i gave her her snack then she just did the sign once before her nap,i explained she needed to sleep first! I knew she wasnt hungry and she had just had water,then shes not done the sign since so i think it must be her way of telling me she is hungry or thirsty! Lets see what happens with some more time, i wont over load her with signs,i will stick with the basics! Thank you again for your help!!  :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2013, 20:41:50 pm »
I'm stalking you ;)
Yeah, she might have just started to get into a little habit of a bf before her nap too, not surprising I'm sure it's a very comforting thing just before sleep :)