Author Topic: 12 week old won't feed in evening  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Bubbles8987

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:01:47 am »
My 12 week old has reflux and is on Omeprazole. It seems to be working. During the day he takes between 6 and 7oz every 3 hours. However at the 7-7.30pm feed before bed he generally only takes a couple of oz. He then wakens at 11pm for another couple. Then 2am another 2 or 3oz then again at 5! So he is still wakening every 3 hours because he takes such a small amount.
I have tried giving him dummy when he wakens but he just screams.
Any ideas how I can get him to take larger feeds? I haven't tried cluster feeding? Could this help?
Also,I tried doing a DF at 10.30pm for a few nights but he wasn't interested and pursed his lips closed tightly!!
Please help as I'm exhausted!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 12 week old won't feed in evening
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:14 am »
What time of day do you give the omeprazole and how much does he have? If it's in one dose in the morning it could be that by the end of the day it's starting to wear off and he is comfort feeding during the evening/ night, babies metabolise PPI's faster than adults so they sometimes need to have their dose split into 2, but that depends on how much he is having.

The other thing you can do is to give the omep in the evening rather than the morning if you aren't already.

Laura

Offline Bubbles8987

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:25 pm »
I give him the Omeprazole at the 7pm feed. He has 2mls.
Not really sure what else I can try!!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 12:58:34 pm »
Do you know what the strength of the omeprazole is? For example my kids were both on ranitidine and their syrup had a strength of 15mg to 1ml so if they were on 2ml they would be getting 30mg of the drug. It may be worth seeing if your Dr will change how he gets the omeprazole - the syrup is known to not be very stable so he may not be getting enough of the drug to control things

Laura

Offline Bubbles8987

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 21:47:41 pm »
It is 2mg to 1ml strength, so he gets 4mg per day. I do think the reflux is under control as he no longer seems to struggle during the feed (no more back arching or crying at bottle etc).
Do u think reflux is the reason for the small feeds and night wakenings? I'm just not sure what to do and am   really struggling with tiredness.
Oh and I doubt dr would increase dosage, I had a real battle with them getting them to prescribe omep in the first place.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 22:14:45 pm »
Sounds like ongoing reflux for sure - if your LO is over 4kg then that is a subtherapeutic dose that may very well be doing very little. The minimum dose is 1mg/kg.

Have you thought about trying a thickener or reflux formula?

Offline Bubbles8987

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 22:19:12 pm »
Yes he is well over 4kg! We tried him with carobel thickener along with gaviscon but he suffered with very bad wind which I thought the carobel was causing. Also, does the thickener help if it's silent reflux? He has never actually threw up a bottle.
Just wondering how I can convince dr to increase dosage? Or could I do it myself without his approval?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:19 am »
No - don't increae the dose without your Drs say so. Where in the world are you? If you are UK and your Dr won't prescribe (which may GP's quite rightly won't do) then you can ask for a referral to a paediatrician. Have a look at this link http://cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz/medicaltreatment/dosageschedule/?wpmp_switcher=desktop there is a link on it to a letter explaining why omeprazole suspension is not the best choice for babies. It's a NZ site, but it may be worth taking it to your Dr to see if he will change the meds and increase the dose - you can print the doseage page off to take along too.

My babies both had ranitidine and Enfamil AR formula and it worked really well for my DD and reasonably well for my DS. We had used infant gaviscon first and found the Enfamil to be much better. Mine are/were both mostly silent refluxers and the Enfamil thickens in the stomach rather than being a lot thicker in the bottle. It may be worth thinking aboujt if you are using a cow's milk based formula. If you are UK you need to orderit in a pharmacy and it is available on prescription. If you do try it come back as there are some hints and tips I can give you for it!

Laura