Author Topic: Finger foods that aren't carbs  (Read 1426 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
Finger foods that aren't carbs
« on: January 17, 2012, 22:53:15 pm »
DS2 (9months) has turned into a pretty good eater except he loves his carbs and that's all he wants sometimes.  I need some ideas what to feed him for finger foods that he good eat like he does a cracker or toast.  Not something he picks up one by one like cheerios.  I give him half of a banana at at time and he eats that fine but doesn't like it cut into little chunks.  I've tried making sweet potato fries.  No go but does like sweet potato from pot roast.  Is he old enough to have raw cucumber in slices or something like that?  I was thinking I could try doing french toast for breakfast rather than just plain toast.  He doesn't like scrammbled eggs but I keep trying  :(

He also wants to eat what we're eating.  If I'm eating a sandwich for lunch and try to give him smooshed sweet potato he doesn't want the sweet potato he wants my sandwich. 

I just feel like I give him so many carbs through out the day...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Finger foods that aren't carbs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 18:13:49 pm »
Any fruit or veg, pieces of meat ( roast chicken or I would slow roast pork shoulder and casserole beef to make it soft enough).

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 19:38:26 pm »
I recommend you have the same foods, then there's no battle!  I second the idea of sliced meats and stewed meats.  I've literally just posted a recipe on my blog as well for mini meatloaves which have no carbs added to them.  Might be a bit too much for your little one yet but you'd know better than me.  Certainly at 10 months I'd give them a go (maybe crumbled up a bit).  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2012/01/turkey-mini-meatloaves-for-babies-and.html

Does he like pasta yet?  Around 9 months I think we started on pasta, part spoon feeding, part self feeding (we traditionally weaned).  You can squeeze all kinds of things into pasta sauces!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 20:27:23 pm »
Those look great!  I'll have to try them.  In the past I made a similar recipe that snuck in some veggies as well.  Is a courgette a zuchinni in the US?  I think you had a quiche recipe too didn't you?  I'll have to look around on your blog because I need something for breakfast other than toast & fruit! 

I have been pretty much giving him what we eat.  He ate pork chop, potatoes, corn and a few bites of a green bean last night.  He only has the two bottom teeth so I'v been kinda leary of thing that don't break apart well.  He seems to be doing pretty well with only those two though.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 17:34:12 pm »
Yep - sorry, I should have put that on the recipe.  Courgette and zucchini are the same thing.  Yep, there's a kind of quiche recipe on my blog but not with pastry (I'm too lazy for pastry unless I'm doing something bigger!)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/