Author Topic: Is there a limit for formula intake?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is there a limit for formula intake?
« on: January 18, 2012, 15:37:17 pm »
My DS is FF and is probably taking in somewhere around 32-35 oz in 24 hrs.  (Im keeping track today to find out exactly whats he's taking in)  Ive heard that you are supposed to limiot formula intake to 32-36 oz, is this the case?  Ive also read it could be 40 oz.  He's 4 mo old, and is probably around 15 pounds or so.  So if I calculate it, according to the way it says to, he should be getting about 37 oz...is this ok? 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Is there a limit for formula intake?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 16:56:31 pm »
Absolutely fine! I don't think I've ever come across anyone told to limit formula intake in the UK unless it's for specific medical reasons. The advice is always to feed to their hunger - remember too there is a growth spurt around 4 months so if he needs more then feed him! It will tail off, not many babies take more than 40oz a day and anther ciuple of montha and you will be adding solids too!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 22:06:46 pm »
Agree completely with Laura - babies know what they  need at any given time :)  Feed him whatever he will eat :)

My DD's biggest day was 38 ozs during the 4 month growth spurt - she only weighed about 14lbs at the time ;)

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 23:26:56 pm »
Thanks for the info.  My DS is probably eating like thirty one oz...today at least...It differs daily, but he is up there in the mid thirties usually, this is including his NF, so I dont know if maybe that means he needs more during the day than what he's eating, or if its fine for him to still be waking for those other oz at night...Or if now is the time to try to get all the oz in during the day and not NF?  He's eating around 26 oz during the day, and then around 5-6 oz for his NF.

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 23:42:49 pm »
My almost 3 month old was up 2 times last night and eat 4oz both times and has since had almost 20oz today so far, total growth spurt with getting over RSV. I do a DF everynight of 4oz (will be doing a 5-6oz tonight).
 I would try taking one oz of the NF and put it in the first morning bottle and in 2 days take another oz and put in the next bottle then another 2 days another oz from NF bottle in 3rd bottle of the day ect till NF bottle is gone.
This is what I did with my DD1 and she was NF free by 3.5 months (always did a DF though till 7months). I am lucky with DD2 though as she usually only gets up between 4-5am for 2oz then back to sleep last night of course being a oddy with the growth spurt.

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 23:46:27 pm »
Hmm, you are lucky! :)  I dont do a DF though, so would it still be best for him to have a NF for now? he only wakes once to eat.   And also, if i do start putting his oz's in during the day, and he's still hungry at night after the amount i give him, do i just try to get him to go back down anyway, even if he is still crying for more?.....or ideally he should slowly get used to it, and be fuller from getting those oz during the day that he should hopefully be fine?  *he usually eats 6oz bottles during the day, sometimes seven, normally not as much for his first feed for some reason
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 23:53:57 pm by amyonkman »

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 00:56:42 am »
I would try a Df and see if he even wakes up to eat. Does he use a paci? If yes if you do a DF and he wakes up you could replug and he night just go back to sleep till the morning. What time is he's first bottle of the day? Could you write out your easy for feeds?

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 01:17:03 am »
Sure, this is what we've been doing feeding wise:
7/7:30 am, wakes, and eats about 5 oz
11 eats about 6 oz
3pm eats about 6-7 oz
6 pm or so, eats about 6 oz sometimes 7  oz
7:45/8pm eats about 3 oz then bed
and he's been waking around 1ish and eats 5/6oz

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 05:14:14 am »
Does he go right back to sleep after his NF?  If he does, I would just leave well enough alone personally.  I'm not a fan of actively weaning NF's at this age - too little IMO.  One feed without a DF is quite good for a 4 month old... many will have a DF and a NF at this age ;)

My DD was very similar to this at his age and she dropped her NF on her own at 4.5 months with the odd recurrence for a couple of weeks time.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:38 am »
I'm with Kara - until they start solids I think they are too little to activly wean a nightfeed, especially with no dreamfeed. We weaned my DD's nightfeed at 8.5 months once she was well established on solids, she didn't have a DF as neither of mine were any good at it. If they start sleeping through by themselves then it's fine, but they can also sleep through a few nights and then wake for a feed again, so at this age a nightfeed even with a dreamfeed is totaly normal.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 21:39:00 pm »
Should add that we didn't have a DF either so I was rather surprised when she stopped waking for a night feed before we started solids!  I am a lucky momma!

Offline amyonkman

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 01:05:22 am »
Thanks ladies :)  Im ok with his one NF for now...Ill give him some time before i try to wean, if he doesnt do it himself...which Id rather.  I think with my DD, she was starting to go through the night a lot, so then i thought she could go without, she was pretty easy, but didnt STTN consistently till about 8 months!  but has been a great sleeper since...hopefully he takes after his sister!