Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63312 times)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« on: January 18, 2012, 19:34:07 pm »
Continued from;

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=219175.435

Please remember mods are now deleting any posts meant simply to m@rk your spot in a thread, in order to keep the BW boards as neat as can be. Please post an actual comment when you are ready to participate in the discussions.

Chat away   ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 20:16:54 pm »
Most of it goes down... some days more than others... Sometimes the bib catches it! But often it will mostly go down- hard to judge!! hmm... so i have a greedy guts on my hands... well I can tell i'll have to be careful about his intake as he grows up... 'healthy lunches' are on the cards!

I did some googling around- i was going to say honey in cooking is fine but apparrently no! http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/infantbotulismhoney.htm The botulism and the toxins aren't killed under normal household heating.. so best avoid it. It depends on how particular you want to be... it's apparently very rare, and would be rarer in cooked goods i'd say... but i'm a pretty careful person (i followed EVERY guideline on foods not to eat while pregnant) so i'll avoid it... the odds would probably be on your side though...

This is the fishcake recipe- http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/06/salmon-and-spinach-fishcakes-for-babies.html  but the whole site is great! And she's always after suggestions and ill answer questions!  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=223224.0 I'm a bit of a fan!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 20:57:23 pm »
Thanks Katy! For recipe and for honey question answer!  :)

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:08:35 am »
Interesting - I actually always assumed cooked honey would be okay, but never gave it to F as I just didn't see the need for her to have any form of sugar (apart from fruit). She has plenty of sweet, fruit-based treats!

She had her first taste of 'real' cake yesterday (on her birthday) - I had baked a sugar-free banana cake for her but friends brought round a big fat sugar-laden chocolate cake and I didn't want to disappoint them or make a big deal out of it....so she ate a piece of her cake first then had a few nibbles of my chocolate cake. There was much signing of more  :P

Katy, that sounds about what F was regularly eating by about 8 months - but she goes through phases, so sometimes now she'll have several days when she hardly eats anything, esp when she's teething. And then others when she just can't get enough! I think so long as it's always healthy food you're offering, they're pretty good at self-regulating how much they eat - at least until they figure out how to open the fridge and pantry themselves!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:13:36 am by Papaya »
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:01:46 am »
Yeah- i'm heavily limiting the sugar and salt (added) the salt is only in things like bread and weetbix- but i keep an eye on the sodium in those too (low salt weet bix!). Yay on the bithday cake! I think that it's probably miuch easier sometimes to just go with it rather than make a big fuss... a couple of nibbles once at a party is fine- but it's when it becomes a party every week, or several times a week that i'd be wary myself...

I also assumed the honey would be ok- but had in the back of my mind from working with dietitians in the past that there are some toxins where cooking doesn't kill it.. i think salmonella is another-- cooking kills the salmonella but not the toxin it produces... or something like that. So were that's mostly a goo fix it isn't always!

His majesty was very cranky this morning when we had no fruit to his liking! I grated some apple- but he picked it up as if to say 'what is this rubbish you are expecting me to eat?!?' Then had a good gnaw on the apple i was eating- I'm sure if he was signing yet he would have been signing 'mango' and 'watermelon' as fast as he could!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:04 am »
I'm sure if he was signing yet he would have been signing 'mango' and 'watermelon' as fast as he could!!

I know what you mean - when we went to NZ last month F kept signing mango after every meal for the first few days! But she got over it, and soon decided strawberries were a pretty good substitute.

BTW: can't believe you've had to give Hamish a proper haircut already. I don't think F will be needing one for another year or so...
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:21:30 am »
He had this silly looking mohawk bit in the middle that wasn't going anywhere, and he looked like an old man with a combover! Looks much cooler now- we can even spike it!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 19:03:41 pm »
Katy, your LO sounds like mine - eating tonns!  We went to 3 meals per day after the first couple of days because DS complained constantly about wanting solids.  He eats and eats and eats.  And he's only a little slim guy :)
There are times of the day he eats more and times of the day he eats less, and there are certain foods he will eat stacks of and other foods he will turn his nose up at.  But basically he took to solids immediately and has loved every mouthful (apart from the mouth full of broccoli and the other mouth full of rice).
It's such a joy to have a LO eat like that eh?
Mums with LOs who are a little slower with their solids, don't stress, we've all heard it a million times before but it's true, food before one is just for fun, and they all develop different skills at their own pace.  My DS doesn't do half the stuff another LO his age might be doing but has a developed pallet and good self feeding skills.  That's just where he has focused his development.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 20:54:57 pm »
ha ha!! yes- no to the broccoli here to! He takes it, and moves it in an arc past his mouth and off the side of the high chair tray! And doesn't mind the rice but not sushi rice! Weird!

Oh can I recommend introducing your LO to a straw! As i said before i did with my guy- not at a cafe or restaraunt i ask for a water with a straw (I decided i didn't need to boil his water any more- mixed recommendations i know..) and he does the funniest little grabbing the straw and drinking!! It's like he;s a little man!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 22:50:31 pm »
Sophia loves broccoli!! Didn't get it from me cos I don't like it at all! Actually I don't think there's anything she doesn't like so far :)

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 23:02:23 pm »
Ha - LJ loves broccoli too! She munches her way through whatever she's given!

Not been around much lately and head spinning from reading all these posts.  Going to reply to you all from the advice you gave me on my last post:

Katy - we're not there with reducing milk feeds yet.  I'm just going with the flow and assuming LJ will make the decision when to stop.  Actually, that said, we did finally get rid of the dream feed 2 weeks ago (we'd nearly cut it out before but then she's fell ill and we'd gone back to giving her a full bottle at 10-10.30pm!)

Rachel - totally understand your need for a plan.  I'm always 'trying' to think ahead. We're now doing food first for breakfast with milk straight after but not making any difference to how much of either LJ is having.

Becky - thanks! LJ's teething and has diarrhoea too so we're off the food at the mo.

Creations - yep, having to just pack lunches up etc if I'm out but just means I have to be super organised.  Admit that sometimes I don't go out just because I haven't been - lol!

Thank you everyone.  

Anyone had any probs with food 'throwing'.  LJ drops food on the floor.  We've noticed it seems to be more on purpose these days but not sure how we're going to deal with it. Think I would normally say no throwing and then if she did it again take her down from her highchair for a couple of minutes and put her back in it then to try again.  Issue as we're blw and she's only 9 months is that we don't want her crawling around on the floor tiles whilst we're eating as she could crack her head open if she falls.  Also, there's food all over the floor and she's covered in food and it could get oh so messy! It's already bad enough as it is.

We thought we could maybe take her out of highchair and sit her in her Mamas and Papas Babysnug (like a bumbo) so she's safe.  What do you do/think?

There's aways something, hey!?

xxx

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 00:08:47 am »
Anyone had any probs with food 'throwing'.
I think they all go through food throwing or dropping, the purposeful stuff rather than the accidental drops.
In part it is physics experimentation, what happens when I drop this?  Oh!  Well what happens when I drop this?
But tbh I'd rather DS learnt those lessons mostly at PLAY and not at MEAL.

The first thing is to work out is this the sign of having finished eating?  If your LO has finished eating then the throwing starts, it's a pretty good communication of being full.  In this circumstance the ideal thing is to see the cue just before the food is thrown, say something like 'ok I see you're finished, let's clean up' (introduce a sign if you want which might encourage a sign to you to say finished rather than food throwing) and get LO's hands and face wiped asap and get her out of her chair and somewhere safe and not by the dropped food (or get the tray all wiped and offer a toy - this could work to keep her at the table longer).  Unfortunately this prob means hurrying your own meal.  But at this young age they can't really be expected to stay in the high chair until everyone is finished.

You might now, or later, find some of the throwing is not due to being full, that's a different issue.  Personally I'd offer LOTS of messy play so that there wasn't a need to do these experiments at meal time.

By about 9 months I had introduced a plate to DS.  Yep the food still got moved, dropped and pushed onto the tray, but much of it stayed on the plate too.  At the end of the meal, with his first move to drop over the side I ask 'have you finished? let's clear up' and I get everything onto his plate and remove it from the tray.  Now at 1yr he clears up himself.  He DOES still sometimes drop food to the floor, but for 1yr I am impressed with his table manners.  He puts any bits of food that have ended up on the tray back onto the plate, puts his fork on the plate and puts his sippy cup on the plate, then lifts the plate to hand to me (and I grab it FAST or the lot would go to the floor).

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 00:40:34 am »
'Insert quote' is too technical for me today so will proceed without it lol...

We don't think it's a sigh of her having finished.  She's a bit slow with it all at the moment.  She'll eat a bit and then have a big gap and carry on eating etc, with dropping food in the middle.  She's got a mat on the table that her bowl/plate sticks to with suckers.  Another thing she does is pull at the bowl/plate to free it from the mat.  For about 2.5 months she's been doing this and the novelty's certainly not wearing off! Anyway, sometimes if I offer her something, i.e. pick it up, she will take it and continue to munch away.

We have introduced a sign for finished in the last few days but it's early stages of course.  Maybe we are leaving her in the highchair for too long!? We leave her there until we're sure she's finished.  We're normally done by then anyway.  But we can be there for a long time sometimes! Mmm!

Was your DS's plate loose? Did he not tip it up? That's what LJ does once she gets hold of it.  Writing this, maybe we're missing the sign and should cut the length of mealtimes down.

Sounds like your DS is doing a fab job! When did you introduce a fork? We're thinking of doing it now - just need to buy it! LJ looked like she was imitating us using a knife and fork with 2 sticks of cucumber the other day :)

Sorry for the live rambling! xx

Offline creations

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:17:09 am »
Oh I certainly know the feeling of wanting to make sure they've really finished, it has to be a natural instinct for every mother to want to see their child eat well.  I also go slow sometimes with the 'have you finished' part and sometimes he decides to have a bit more so it's confusing...
He can also start to clear up (and I help or hold the plate for him to put things on and I point to items and ask him to put them on the plate) and just as he is about to drop an item on the plate he suddenly changes his mind and pops it in his mouth!  It is NOT perfect in our house, only I think we have a certain level of communication and understanding going on and have found a way to reduce the throwing and make the end of the meal a positive aspect where he is congratulated for having nice table manners and thanked for helping clear up. (we don't sign here, I just follow his cues, a bit mad as I am qualified in BSL!)

In the BW book (I forget which one, toddlers perhaps) Tracy answers the problem of dropping/throwing food by saying don't expect your LO to stay at the table, take them down from the high chair the second they have finished.
Yes his plate is loose, sometimes he lifts it, naturally he wants to know what happens when it is moved, tilted, lifted.  It's never once gone to the floor though.  He does sometimes move faster than me and all the food ends up on the tray, it's rare, usually I can get a hand on it before that happens and just prevent him tipping it, I remove it to a safe distance and then offer one or two bits of food at a time onto his tray (or directly onto the table top depending where we are eating).  If he gets 'into' eating again I sometimes put the whole plate back in front of him.  It's the same with his cup though, sometimes he wants to drop that and I catch it and move it away, then re-offer later.  But if the cup goes to the floor I don't pick it up right away.  I don't want a drop/pick up game.

I introduced a fork early (6 months), but I must say it's pretty dangerous depending how your LO is with things, I don't think everyone would think it a good idea.  I couldn't find something suitable in the shops (baby forks too rounded to stab anything with, adult forks too sharp) so used a small plastic one that came with lunch box fruit.  Using a spoon is SO difficult, it's not only go to get to the mouth but it's got to be the right way up, that's why we moved to a fork, DS was really frustrated with some foods that were too slippery to get to his mouth as fast as he wanted to eat (melon, pasta etc). I was SO careful though.  He now (12 months) has a small metal fork, it's pretty sharp and again I wouldn't advise everyone to do it but he is very good with it.  For a long while he went off using a fork or spoon and refused loaded fork/spoons, now he is getting back into liking it and trying to stab food himself.

He also has an imaginary friend who sits on his chair next to him, we call him Ron.  And he sneaks food or pretend food down to Ron whilst he eats!  He used to end up with a little pile of food saved by his leg, and I joked he was 'saving it for Ron: LateR-on' (you know that bad joke).  So this wasn't dropping food but still a bit of a problem.  Really odd behaviour I thought, but eventually he stopped giving Ron real food and now just pretends to take something off the plate and sneak it down there! It's funny when he wants to give Ron a drink from the sippy though haha!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:27:58 am »
Oh, we know all about throwing here....

I've been wondering how to tackle this issue for a while. Sometimes I know it is because F is finished - if she's been eating well for a good while, and then starts to play, and then throw. She well knows the sign for all finished, and used to always use it at mealtimes, but now only occasionally does. So throwing can be a sign she's finished which I can usually just pre-empt or at least catch early on - I'll check, using the sign, and she'll sign back to me.

But often, it's not that - as you say, Creations, it's partly the wanting to see what happens. She's really into "transferring" atm - so pegs out of the peg basket and back into it, for example. She wants to do that with her food as well. She drops it deliberately, and then leeeaaaans over the side of her chair to try and get it back! So to counter this, we encourage her to put food into her pelican bib, and then onto the tray again. She has those options: food goes into the mouth, into the pelican, or down on the tray. We try and phrase it positively (ie, not 'don't drop food on the floor' but rather 'food goes into your mouth or into your pelican'). Giving her food in a bowl sometimes works too - she can transfer from bowl to tray and back. During the transferring process, she'll eat as well!  BUT she does tend to pick up bowls, plates etc and tip them over still. She has also been know to throw the whole bowl to the floor  ::) , not sure whether that too was just to see what happens.

Sometimes it's because she has too much food in front of her and can't deal with it all. Some has to go before she'll eat the rest.

And other times, I don't know what it is - boredom, perhaps? Or just to see what our reaction is? I'd love any suggestions for good, age-appropriate techniques to deal with this  :-\. I don't expect no throwing at all, I'm just not sure what my reaction should be when she throws food, or her cup, on the floor and I don't think it's because she's finished - ie, I think that given a little more time, she will want to eat more. Atm I tend to use positive statements (as above), remove tray if she's really throwing everything, or ignore if it's just the odd bit here or there. I certainly don't want to get into games of she throws, I pick up. And I don't want to give her a huge reaction every time either. But I'm not sure if she's old enough for the remove-from-table-at first-throw approach  :-\. I just don't think she can understand that consequence yk?

Creations, lol about Ron! F went through a phase when we said she 'squirreled' - we'd find a little stash of food deliberated tucked in beside her. I made the mistake of laughing the first time, and she did it delightedly for a while, but we've studiously ignored it since and luckily the novelty of that particular trick seems to have worn off.
*Nuala*