Author Topic: how much water to give?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:26:01 am »
My DD is 6.5 months old and started solids at 6 months age..she has around 3 tbs of cereal, fruit and vegetable at breakfast, lunch and dinner respectively 1 hr after having milk ...she has a tendency to get constipated and has been peeing quite less off late (also her pee has a strong smell and sometimes her diaper has a darker yellow tinch..is this coz of solids or dehydration?)...I give her around 3 spoons of water after meals...is that enough? How much water should she be having at this age?  Coz i've heard too much water is also bad for babies

Also what is the best way to give her water - spoon, bottle or sippy  cup?

FYI - she has 5 milk feeds in a day (2 formula and 3 breastmilk) also we live in tropical weather and it is getting hotter now (room temp is around 28 degrees C) 

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: how much water to give?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 15:46:24 pm »
Now that your baby is on solids you can let her have a bit more water. I offered a sippy cup of water along with meals and let mine take what they wanted (to start with it was only a few sips).  If it is hot then she may need extra fluids to prevent dehydration although that could be milk or water.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 16:04:00 pm »
Agree with PP - we live in a very tropical climate and I introduced a sippy cup when we started solids at 6 months. I basically let my LO self-regulate how much water she wanted, but just kept in mind the recommended daily maximum, which I think from memory was around 120mls. She never wanted to exceed that. She was on five BFs per day though. The concern with giving water to babies is mainly for babies under six months old, when it can lead to water intoxication. If your LO's pee is dark yellow and she's getting constipated, it does sound to me like she's a little dehydrated so I would either offer more frequent BFs or more water. xx
*Nuala*

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 23:25:59 pm »
ITA with PP's - I just gave DS a straw cup with water and let him self-regulate.

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 18:09:55 pm »
Thanks for your replies ladies...will try giving DD a sippy cup...giving her more water than what I was giving her before hs helped her constipation and pee smell and color (though I do have to make efforts to give it to her..may b she will get the taste of it in few days)... Thanks!