Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62610 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2012, 10:27:04 am »
Katy, Hamish and my DS could enter an eating contest together :)

When DS was around Hamish's age I was quite worried about the amount he was eating, hunting down portion sizes etc I think he was eating ten times the amount of fruit he 'should' have been eating! Now I wish I hadn't worried.  He just eats a lot.  At breakfast he can easily eat a whole cup of muesli (made into finger food balls) plus a banana, a kiwi and a cup of blueberries....and 1.5hrs later he's ready for his snack, 6 fruit pancakes and a full mango.  Although he does then go 3 hrs before lunch :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2012, 10:36:59 am »
Cool- i won't worry then.. i figure he'd stop when he'd had enough! we do get to that eventually sometimes!!! 6 fruit pancakes and a whole mango sounds like hamish!! We introduced lunch this week and it hasn't made a dent on his dinner!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2012, 15:20:39 pm »
Ben used to eat A LOT. He slowed down once he hit about 20 months. That's why Abi eating next to nothing is so bizarre to me :)

Although - success again yesterday (and even video proof for DH) with sweet potato and lentil curry with rice! Yay!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2012, 19:28:21 pm »
sweet potato and lentil curry with rice
Sounds totally yummy!
DS likes curry but still won't eat rice.

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2012, 20:12:38 pm »
Oh dear...back to blueberries and peas today ::) Oh well, you can't win them all :)

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2012, 03:35:05 am »
I remember taking a list to my doctor with the amount of food my daughter would eat in one day and asking him if it was normal.  She would eat TONS of food.  He kind of laughed at me and just reminded me that they do stop when they are done (as long as we watch for the signs).  Hamish sounds like her!

The fritter were a huge hit with C last night.  He scarfed down his, finished some of mine, and eat my daughters (she wasn't keen).  He loved them dipped in apple sauce.  Maybe as a result, he had a great night of sleep.

The gagging isn't vomiting - it's just like "oops, too much too big out out!"  I"ll try wider toast to see how it is. 

I did do a lot of cooking today for him: chicken meatballs (baking them was super easy on a cookie sheet), spaghetti sauce, and some oatmeal.  It is good to do a bunch at once, Katy. 

Adventures in dining!  It is so rewarding that he can feed himself a whole meal.  It means tonight I actually got to enjoy my own soup HOT instead of spooning in mush to his sweet little mouth. 
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2012, 05:15:28 am »
ha ha!! YEs- sounds like hamish... Great doing the bunch of cooking!! I've been spoilt by BLW- it's great, you are MEANT to leave them to it and eat your own meal!! And- great if he's not vomiting- hamish often gags, it doesn't deter him!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline brookmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2012, 16:29:48 pm »
Hi!  New to BLW....been trying for a couple of weeks.. So far LO has had avacado, bananas, cucumber, broccoli, steamed carrots, egg yolk (not a big fan), steamed apple. So far so good. I want to try her with some meat. Any tips of how to prepare chicken? Not sure if I should just bake it or grill it........

Hoping there are still folks around on this thread!!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2012, 18:48:46 pm »
I made the Annabel Karmel turkey sliders (but did it with chicken as I didn't have any turkey mince) and DD loved them. They are slightly crispy on the outside from being baked or lightly fried and then soft and smooth on the inside, so easy to pick up, and easy to eat.  I didn't bother with the rolls, I just served them as finger food.

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/new-finger-foods/turkey-chicken-sliders

yesterday I made Lemonthyme's mini meatloaf recipe from her blog - will be giving them to DD tomorrow.  I made this with beef mince though as I was cooking a spaghetti bolognaise for our dinner so just used some of the ingredients from that.

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2012/01/turkey-mini-meatloaves-for-babies-and.html

And cooking them in a mini muffin dish is a revelation! No more rolling meatballs or shaping meatloaves for me!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2012, 22:03:22 pm »
And cooking them in a mini muffin dish is a revelation! No more rolling meatballs or shaping meatloaves for me!

This is why we need people who have worked in the food industry!! I'd never thought of it before!! AND it gives a pretty consistent portion which is nice...

I'll have to check out the 'sliders'
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2012, 22:33:54 pm »
Hi brookmom, I made chicken meatballs for my LO and he likes those a lot.  He also likes beef stew (I make it super thick and it's messy as a finger food as I do puree it a bit first). 

And I agree - baking the meatballs is amazing!  I have to pick up a mini muffin dish.  I just plopped mine on a cookie sheet but it was awesomely easy. 
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2012, 23:05:39 pm »
Steaming or casseroling (without the salty stuff) chicken makes it nice and tender without a tough outside.

Colby ate peanut butter on bread today and had great fun. I took some pics. Will try to post them soon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2012, 23:28:50 pm »
Hey- i've been starting hamish on sandwiches.. but don't want to use butter- what toppings could i try do you think? I already have tried peanut butter, that's ok.. anything else?

And my personal reccommendation is to get a couple of silicon mini muffin pans, they are much less 'stick' than the non stick ones. AND easier to clean! They were more expensive, but it think worth it. You need to put them on an oven tray (like a cookie sheet i guess) but i like them... The other ones are fine too if you're not into silicon!! I just had to buy them new!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2012, 23:33:23 pm »
Mayo can be good to help bind stuff like tuna and chicken together. What about spreading mashed avocado on the bread? Marmite?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2012, 23:44:21 pm »
isn't marmite/vegemite too salty? I hate the stuff!! BUT- me hating it isn't the point...

I might try some good no sugar mayo... tuna and mayo in a sort of paste might be a hit! he ate a tin of tuna the other day at nanny's and could have had another 2!!! LOVED it!

It's shopping day today so i can get some of this stuff- and as DH is home with what i think is the man flu (hoping it isn't he actual flu or we'll be in real trouble) i might get to go alone!! How will i manage to shop without my little helper to mouth everything i pick up!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!