Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62614 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2012, 20:47:23 pm »
When i make fritters i simply grate the vegies and mix in one egg- you don't need much- just to bind it. Then you can fry them in the pan- with or without a little oil..

Addind an egg to the mix can often help things to bind together!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #226 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:02 am »
My fritters were grated carrot, zuchinni, some minced onion (I think I had white), all mixed with whatever pancake mix you make.  I think they were too doughy so they didn't reheat too well.  Next time I would make them much thinner and crispier. 

Tonight's hit: hard boiled egg with a tomato cheese sauce.  Gobble gobble!!
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #227 on: March 09, 2012, 04:50:55 am »
The other night's massive success that i was actually nearly in tears over (I had really nothing like food- Hamish hadn't eaten any meat for several days, it was one of those terrible mummy moments)- I mixed one egg- our final egg- with 2 cubes of frozen spinach, half a tin of salmon and some grated cheese and essentially scrambled it. I thought it was going to be CRAPPO (hence the near tears) and he LOVED IT!! THe only trouble was he struggled getting it to his mouth fast enough!!! Daddy had to help him a bit with a spoon!! (we do that a bit now- now that he eats so much with his hands i figure a little spoon action is fine)

I also had to share some of our 'adventures with nanny' from the other day. Mum was looking after hamish in  a motel room in sydney while we saw a play there. Hamish WOULD NOT go to bed- so she gave him half the milk i had left him. Still no sleeping- well this would be BECAUSE IT WAS COWS MILK!!! I had it for the cereal the following day!! HE must have thought half a bottle of cows milk was the strangest thing he's ever had!! Luckily e didn't really NEED it... so he wasn't deprived.

That and the next morning when i was giving him breakfast he eats his weetbix and fruit, and i spoon him his yoghurt (yoghurt is a spoon food- you've seen the pics). Well this time my grandmother was there with us (it was a family affair ::) ) and she said in all seriousness 'it's good to see him eating off a spoon there love'- she feels he 'needs to learn to eat off a spoon'!!! AAHH!! ANd as discussed before- it's NOT as if the boy is starving here!!!!

Hard boiled egg sounds good!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:35 am »
TMI but we got our first solid (as in A soft sausage not liquid) poop today so I guess he is consuming a reasonable quantity somehow. Shame he chose 5.15am to do it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2012, 10:45:17 am »
Lol... yep I've been noticing a big difference the last couple of weeks.

I still haven't tried Sofia with eggs... we've had such a weird couple of weeks with her being unsettled that I've not wanted to rock the boat further. Hopefully things are just about getting back to normal now, so will try her soon.

Big hit yesterday was the Annabel Karmel Salmon rissoles. Absolutely stuffed her face with them, and particularly enjoyed them squished up with peas. :)

And I made a pork mince version of the meatloaves, again very well received. Such a little carnivore!!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2012, 11:35:27 am »
Hamish loves meat too! It's weird when their poos change!! They are neater though... (stinkier... but neater)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2012, 18:33:38 pm »
Hi all! Haven't been on this thread for a while. My girls are both meat lovers! Just like me and DH! Sophia actually picks out the meat from her plate now ;)

Offline londonlady

« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2012, 19:20:25 pm »
Ali mentioned something about porridge fingers - does anyone have the recipe?

And what else can I do with meat to make it finger food-ish? Needs to be soft and breakable rather than a slice of meat (which she just sucks but can't tear into because of only having 3 teeth!)  I've done the meatloaves / meatballs and salmon fishcakes... Any other ideas? :)

Rach. x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2012, 20:55:05 pm »
3tbsp porridge oats (not the instant sorts)
3tbsp milk

Mix together in a small shallow dish and allow to soak a bit.  Flatten top.  Put in microwave for 2 minutes.  When done, remove and cut into slices while still hot.  Allow to cool and feed to baby.  You can put dried fruit in it after the initial mix and push them into the mixture before nuking too.

Now- i'm really not that bad in the kitchen, some may say i'm good in the kitchen- but for some reason it took me 4 goes to get this right! I think i used the wrong sized container, then didn;t soak them for long enough... you ladies may be better than me!!

On the meat/finger food bit. I made the other day for hamish some chicken tender schnitzels... in that i got a tenderloin of a chicken breast and the bashed it out into a really thin schnitzel.. crumbed it using some parmesan and then cooked it in the pan with a little oil. It tasted great- BUT hamish was in a bad mood and didn't eat it... ::) so not a glowing recommendation... BUT i think it was quite soft- especially as i cut it across the grain...

Also i cooked some other chicken tenderloin pieces in the oven in some tinned tomatoes- so essentially poached them. THey were very soft!

I haven't tried it yet as it's more of a winter thing... but meat in the slow cooker should go very soft i'd imagine? If you don't have a slow cooker then done in a casserole...

Also i do chicken thigh fillets off Lemonthyme's website- marinaded in a natural/greek yoghurt and mild curry paste mixture, then baked till cooked and brown. I then cut these into slices for hamish and he usually gets enough of it down. LOVES it in fact!! Eats off all the yoghurt and curry paste at least! http://mamacook.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/easy-chicken-tikka-for-babies-and.html

And have you offerred bolognaise sauce on pasta- that's a MASSIVE MASSIVE hit here..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2012, 21:11:35 pm »
What about lamb koftas? I don't have a recipe though I'm sure you can look one up.

Colby is getting more and more down him these days. Still not huge amounts but definitely an improvement.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2012, 21:15:36 pm »
Rachel - DD has 0 teeth but gets by ok with some meats.  I gave her a breaded chicken goujon last week which she sort of sucked on and then ignored.  I had a brainwave to cut it into smaller chunks and she ate the lot.  Any sort of fish is ok too.  What about a beef burger?  It's not as dense to get through as a slab of meat.  Oooh, yeah, Ali's right.  Lamb koftas are a winner here for the same reason as burgers.  Annabel Karmel has a good recipe for them in her fussy eaters book.

Oh, and WHY haven't I posted on this thread sooner??!!  I've been BLWing DD for almost 9 months by now!!
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2012, 21:17:50 pm »
We were still getting patchy days until probably more like 8 months or so... heaps fewer everything on the floor days after that...

Ok- cutest thing hamish currently does- I let him choose the bag of grapes at the supermarket (yes... i have one child- i have time to offer choices of fruit to purchase). I hold up to the trolley the black and the white grapes (purple and green) and he looks carefully (very carefully- it's a serious business!) and chooses. THEN he often launches his mouth at the side of the bag and tries to eat a grape or two THROUGH the bag!! We then often have some tense moments as mummy struggles to open the bag (sealed) and bite grapes in half to feed to him in the trolley! Very funny...

ON grapes- when can i start offerring them whole? I cut them up currently... in half....

Amanda- i noticed when you said you had the BLW cookbook you hadn't been on here before!! Welcome!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2012, 21:22:14 pm »
Welcome. Amanda. You seem very knowledgeable. No doubt ill be picking your brain. :)

I think I cut grapes for cadan until around 12mo when he just helped himself one day and I thought what the heck

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2012, 21:24:37 pm »
They are still coming out almost intact at the other end... so perhaps i should wait a little while... He LOVES them!! Ate them like a man possesed yesterday! 'HMM Hmm hmm hmm" as he ate!! I had my hand resting on the high chair and he turned it over to make sure i wasnt' hiding any on him!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2012, 21:27:55 pm »
Thanks - koftas is a great idea, I'll look up the recipe, and I also like the sound of the chicken tikka (YUM!)  but not sure if she will get much of the chicken down. I have offered her very soft cooked chicken before and she sucks the hell out of it and gets a bit down but not much.

I've done bolognaise on pasta, she loves that and has it quite often.

Ali - same here. Sofia only really found her appetite in the last 3 weeks so just after 8m.

And lol on the grape choosing Katy. He knows what he likes! I'm still very scared of grapes and choking, so I tend to pick the flesh out of the skin (halved) before giving it to Sofia... Will try and be a bit braver with our next punnet of grapes!

Rach. x