Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63418 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2012, 23:07:11 pm »
something bizarre like 5 YEARS
That does sound really bizarre.  I'm sure it's 12 months.

Brookmom, I used to make (and still do) lots of stews or roasted veg dishes so the pieces were big and chunky but soft to eat.  My DS has never been into salad or raw veggies.  He won't entertain cucumber (even though I keep telling him it's like melon!) or raw peppers (which he shovels in when they are cooked) etc and he is now 14 months and has lots of teeth (but I never found lack of teeth held him back).  I wouldn't class him as a fussy eater at all as he has a very varied diet, but even now I still plan all meals based on what will suit him, the meal can include things I know he won't eat but always includes plenty I know he will eat too.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2012, 23:54:35 pm »
I think it's 12 months.. I did some googling.. the wholesomebabyfood website doesn't mention that they need to be cooked, but an australian guide does- and says it's fine to have them at 12 months. But i can't find a definitive sort of site (it's on babycentre... seems legit- but i prefer a government site- I honestly wasn't this rule based before children...). AND i'm sure the salmonella is actually quite low in even untreated eggs.

Brookmom- If you try to arrange your meals so that you are eating the same things- then if he doesn't want anything then no problem- you haven't wasted all of that time and energy!! (It is such a pain when you come up with something great- make it- and it all ends up on the floor!! ) Babies often get whims where they don't want to eat. Have you seen this site? Lots of great ideas: http://mamacook.blogspot.com.au/
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #272 on: March 16, 2012, 00:12:22 am »
Hey, going to jump back in again!  Katy, that's what we do - cook for the whole family and if LJ doesn't eat it, was still worth it!

We've been on and off with the amount LJ eats. For ages she didn't eat much at all and then she had various illnesses and teething which affected her. Now she is eating no end!  At points I wondered if I should be concerned but I wasn't particularly. Xxx

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #273 on: March 16, 2012, 00:15:49 am »
Oh- and on the cooking the same for all- i don't always do that at all, but i make sure that i don't get cranky with him if he does chuck it all on the floor as in some ways it's my own fault! I should be more organised and cook the same thing for all of us!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:40 am »
I don't always cook the same stuff for all of us but at least I'll give both girls the same thing. And often S will eat nearly as much or as much as DD1!! If food isn't ready by their dinner time I will keep a portion for the following day, so they're eating what we have but a day behind, so to speak. Only 2 teeth here but that doesn't stop her! Yesterday she had a whole chicken drumstick (meat off bone), home made chips and peas. She loves peas! Just devours them! ;D

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2012, 08:22:57 am »
FWIW our egg yolk on the toast was cooked I just mashed it down and spread it on like a paste. And yes sorry police oil was supposed to be olive oil (autocorrect).

Yesterday colby had 4 steamed carrot sticks, chicken and cauliflower for dinner and this morning he skipped his usual Wu poop! That'll be the carrots I guess. He is chowing down on the oat fingers. But I think 2mins in our powerful microwave is too much as they're a bit hard. Might try less tomorrow.

Cadan used to love peas. I would put them in a little pot and he'd eat them cold (cooked) in the shopping trolley as a snack. Beats Cheerios!

I rarely cook for colby or cadan I just pick out the stuff they can have. Although cadan eats what we eat now.

Oh dear, colby just gagged on the hard oat fingers and vomited really smelly sick. It actually made me heave to clean it up. He had drunk a lot of water too. And I had just changed him mid meal because he had poured half the sippy of cold water in his lap and down his tummy. He can do the sippy on his own already. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 15:41:58 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2012, 11:38:28 am »
I figured that the yolk was cooked actually- if only because organising a perfectly soft cooked egg in order to spread runny yolk on toast is too much effort!

Hamish isn't bad with the water- but still likes to spit a lot of it out.. I think when he's really thirsty he actually drinks it...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2012, 16:33:10 pm »
Funny you should say that Katy as I had cooked mine and cadan's egg with a runny yolk and then he decided he wanted the potty and I had to leave them to help him out of his sleeper and they got overcooked. ::)

Still no poo from Colby. He mashed a banana all over me at a play group today as there was no high chair and I had to hold him at snack time.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #278 on: March 16, 2012, 21:01:32 pm »
HOw long with no poo?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2012, 21:16:07 pm »
I can't find where I read that about the eggs (it was when DS was a baby, mind you!) but one of the sites I spotted (think it was NHS or something like that) was warning about runny/uncooked eggs for babies AND toddlers, which certainly implied over 1y to me, but no other specific dates.  Perhaps they've relaxed it a bit in the last 4 years?!
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2012, 21:25:30 pm »
Interesting!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2012, 21:56:36 pm »
It was only since yesterday but he *always*  goes first thing in the morning on the potty and this morning he didn't. All is well again now though as the carrots have exited at bedtime nappy change. :) at least I know he ate a lot.

Tonight we had corn on the cob and I was surprised at how many kernels a baby with no teeth was able to get off the cob and consume.

I did just check the Food Standards Agency and NHS websites and they do both say to cook eggs until the yoke is solid. The FSA says babies and toddlers and the NHS says babies and young children and it is in their birth to five section. They don't specify an age when you can serve it runny. But it is to avoid salmonella which as we were saying earlier is not so common. The NHS site also says to peel apples!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2012, 22:30:43 pm »
Bah, I haven't got time to do that (apples, I mean)
*** Amanda ***

Offline brookmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:39 am »
has anyone tried the beef and onion stew in the BLW cookbook? I am going to try my hand at making stew this weekend!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2012, 08:13:32 am »
they do both say to cook eggs until the yoke is solid
OK I've gone from rule follower to rule breaker - it's runny yolk for us!