Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63404 times)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2012, 13:51:40 pm »
Sofia just had last night's roast for lunch. Chicken slices (most of which went down ok but some of the breast meat was a little dry once she got gumming and sucking all the juices out. Leg / thigh meat is definitely more tender and easy for her to eat) carrot batons, peas and potatos all on the tray. I also did a bit in a bowl fork mashed with baby chicken gravy which she has gobbled up.

Rach. x

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2012, 14:00:55 pm »
Leg / thigh meat is definitely more tender and easy for her to eat
also higher in iron so you're on a winner.
I much prefer leg meat to breast meat, loads more flavour.

Offline londonlady

« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2012, 14:11:50 pm »
I didn't know that about the iron. I also much prefer to buy chicken thighs these days particularly for casseroles and things. Breast meat can get so dry and flavourless and the thighs are cheaper too.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2012, 14:14:27 pm »
Yes, unsalted butter is fine :)  D must be piggy (or my dumplings are smaller) but she'll happily put away a whole one and be looking for more!!

Risotto for lunch.  She seemed to like it but wanted me to spoon feed it to her!! ::)
*** Amanda ***

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2012, 15:00:32 pm »
She seemed to like it but wanted me to spoon feed it to her!!

F has been wanting me to spoon feed her a bit recently, especially if she's been having a go with a spoon herself for a while already - so I do if she asks me too. I think it's a novelty for her! And if something is yummy, she knows she'll get it faster ::)  I figure at this stage it's not bad - DH will give me a few spoons of something he's eating sometimes!
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2012, 15:42:03 pm »
I also much prefer to buy chicken thighs these days particularly for casseroles
diced turkey thigh is a regular here for stews and curry, it's so cheap and like you say it doesn't get dry like breast meat.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2012, 20:43:49 pm »
I like getting the 'lovely legs' as they are called here- the thigh on the bone- GREAT for casseroles and slow cooker things, the meat just falls of the bone when done- in that if you wanted to  keep it on the bone you couldn't, and they are cheap as!

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #307 on: March 19, 2012, 21:54:54 pm »
Creations - where do you buy the turkey thigh? I only ever see turkey steaks in the shops and they seem to be a bit dry like chicken breast, I guess because they are so lean.

Offline creations

« Reply #308 on: March 19, 2012, 22:08:22 pm »
Creations - where do you buy the turkey thigh?
In the poultry section of Asda or Tesco (right by the turkey steaks which I agree can be very dry although breast meat is good for quick stir-fry, thigh is kind of tough if cooked too quickly). It's sold diced, I usually go through it to trim the fat and make the pieces a bit more equal in size before I start cooking though.
We also love turkey leg with is a perfect amount for the three of us for a Sunday roast.  It's a PITA to carve if you're not used to it but worth it for flavour (and SO SO cheap!  Actually I should stop saying it is good because if it gets popular they'll put the price up!).
Oh, we also do turkey sausages here too :)
Big turkey eaters but never for Xmas.

Offline londonlady

« Reply #309 on: March 19, 2012, 22:18:25 pm »
I am usually a Sainsburys shopper so maybe they don't do it, I'll have a proper look next time. Speaking of supermarkets - I just tried Tesco for the first time in ages as my friends were telling me it is better value. Is it sad to admit I actually found it really stressful going to a different supermarket!!? It's funny what you get used to... think I'll find myself back at Sainsburys next week, so much easier when you know where things are!!

Offline creations

« Reply #310 on: March 19, 2012, 22:23:49 pm »
Oh it's really stressful going to a different supermarket!  And going to ones which are too big too!  Wow it's a hike to get from one end to the other!

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2012, 22:29:41 pm »
Having moved recently I've had to get used to a new supermarket and just HATE it!  I usually go to Sainsbury's, but Asda is nearer so use it for bits here and there.  Don't really like the layout of either and miss my old Sainsbury's - now that IS sad!
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #312 on: March 20, 2012, 00:12:52 am »
Is it sad to admit I actually found it really stressful going to a different supermarket!!?

Not sad at all- Until my recent aldi kick i was a shop at woolworths only girl- even if that meant going to another suburb!! And i'm the opposite to you creations- i LOVE a big supermarket- i want EVERYTHING there at once!! I also don't like supermarkets that look too 'budget'... unfortunately i am now pretty 'budget' myself... but aldi's been good for that- do you ladies have Aldi?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #313 on: March 20, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »
Katy - Yeah we have Aldi, we only have a small one near us and I only ever seem to buy chocolate when i go in there as they have tonnes of it and a really limited range of fresh fruit / veg etc. I couldn't do a weekly shop in our one put it that way (unless I was only planning to eat chocolate!)
I love that your Woolworths is a supermarket. Our Woolies over here used to be an all purpose store, but sadly went out of business a few years back.

I like a medium sized supermarket. One that has enough range, but isn't big enough to make me spend extra money on things I didn't even know I needed. We have a massive ASDA near us - it's like an airport hanger... I always spend more in there as there are so many extra seasonal things (like they really go to town on easter / halloween / christmas) that I wouldn't normally buy if I was shopping in sainsburys.

Hmm - what's on the menu for you LOs today? I'm out of ideas...

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »
We had home made beef schnitzel- so i either buy beef schnitzel fillets, then flour them, egg dip and then crumb them in a mixture of store bought breadcrumbs (lazy lady), something like chinese 5 spice (whatever spice you are trying to use up), parmesan cheese and today for some extra pizzaz some lemon zest. We had these with wedges that are store bought but don't have anything in them but potato and oil! Also had some frozen vegies- hamish now eats most vegies!

breakfast and lunch very boring... nothing to report...

And i totally get the chocolate aldi thing- they have all of the chocolate at the front- it's where i get the Jaffa cakes! I knew you had a woolies- i wasn't sure if it was the same or not!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!