Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63493 times)

Offline londonlady

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2012, 13:47:59 pm »
Ah yes - porridge fingers. I was only asking for the recipe a couple of weeks back and completely forgot about them...!! Baby brain strikes again! :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2012, 14:56:19 pm »
This morning I gave colby cornflakes as finger food. I put milk in them and then just poured it away (into cadan's) immediately so they didn't get soggy but were soft. He liked them and ate half a dozen or so. That's quite good for him.

If you make pancakes Rach you can always save them once cooked and even freeze them to save time next time. Colby eats them cold at play group sometimes.

Scrambled or boiled egg?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #347 on: March 29, 2012, 16:02:29 pm »
F's staple breakfast for ages has been porridge - not fingers per se, but just made really thick so I could put it in lumps on F's plate and she could just pick them up. She's more recently started really having a go with the spoon herself, so I'm slowly making it a bit less thick, but still nice and sticky. I've also recently started giving her weetbix balls - weetbix softened with coconut milk or yogurt and shaped into balls. Loves them. They're pretty high-fibre though so I didn't do it when she was younger.

I throw in some pancakes or toast (with peanut or sunflower butter) occasionally, and maybe an egg on the weekend. The pancakes freeze well, and I use them for snacks too.
*Nuala*

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #348 on: March 29, 2012, 16:40:06 pm »
I've actually been meaning to ask how blw babies transition to a spoon? MIL seems very worried about the fact that she eats with her hands... "Like an animal" she says ::). And since I now rely on her for babysitting one morning a week I'm not sure I can trust her to go along with my instructions re blw! She gave S chocolate cake the other day!!:o ::)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #349 on: March 29, 2012, 17:40:13 pm »
Oh god- chococolate cake!! My grandmother is also worried about him not eating with a spoon- Did i already tell you about her 'it's good to see him getting some food off a spoon love' comment when i was spoon feeding him yoghurt?! ::)

We have a weetbix softened with milk. His majesty however needs it just the right consistency- too crunchy it all hits the floor with an annoyed expression... Some fruit and yoghurt. We've found the weetbix doesn't bung him up.. but i only give him the one (he's happile have more). Also i have these hoop things- look like cheerios- but taste AWFUL!!! He LOVES them- i put them on the tray and he eats some (very funny to hear them 'crunch' beteen his 4 teeth) but really loves bashing the tray so they fall on the floor. THis is ideal as usually theres one or 2 hanging around he can eat later as he crawls around ::)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2012, 18:30:15 pm »
LOL on the eating things from the floor while crawling around!! Sophia will do this too if I don't clean up properly. Do you soften the weetabix with normal cow's milk? Doesn't it go very mushy and just fall apart?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2012, 20:02:53 pm »
Egg free eggy bread is nice - mush up a banana, a splash of milk and dip the bread in then fry.  Good if you are avoiding egg and tastes yummy but I made it with brioche which has egg in anyway and it was even yummier! (I know breakfast finger foods are nto supposed to be about ME).

I liked the idea of DS getting a variety or grains and vitamins for breakfast (otherwise in our house its wheat bread, wheat pasta, wheat crumpets, wheat pancakes... and the odd oat cake, DS wouldn't eat rice until he was about 12 months so he didn't even get that).  Anyway, I used a shop bought baby muesli (it was aged 10 months I didn't care what the age on it was and gave it as 6 or 7 months) because it has a wonderful variety of grains and vits.  Like Nuala with the wheetbix balls I made the muesli into balls by adding only a small splash of milk and letting it thicken.  It doesn't work with adult muesli which is a shame.  Sometimes I interchanged with another shop bought fortified cereal, an oat and banana porridge, it also rolls well into finger food balls.  These days he has the muesli a bit sloppier and uses a spoon with some loading help (still sticky helps a lot as he tends to turn the spoon upside down as he takes it to his mouth).

The pancakes can be warmed carefully place on the top of a toaster if your LO doesn't like them straight from the fridge.  Always good to have a batch of pancakes in the freezer ready to grab.

've actually been meaning to ask how blw babies transition to a spoon? MIL seems very worried about the fact that she eats with her hands... "Like an animal" she says
Eek!  I'm not generally rude to strangers or other people's parents but has she not noticed that your LO wees and poops in her pants "like an animal"? or crawls on the floor "like an animal", or, perish the thought, walks in BARE FEET?
If it was me I just wouldn't be able to stop myself being very sarcastic.

My DS (now 14 months) has been using a spoon and fork (mainly fork) since he was 6 months old (I admit he cannot yet load them but he is getting closer and does sometime manage to jab something with his fork).  He does still use his fingers to eat but it depends how the mood takes him, we had a hunger strike for several minutes whilst I worked out he was not going to eat anything at all until I gave him cutlery, so long as the option is there he will eat but he must have his spoon and fork at the table like very one else.  Meanwhile I know some ladies who have gone the purée route to weaning who won't even consider letting their LO have a go with the spoon because it might make mess.  At 14 months DS is considered 'weaned' I reckon but I like to still check out this board and offer my support and advice and this is a perfect example of when it is useful.  Not only does DS use a fork but he also drops so little food that I rarely have to pick anything up.  He will still get food on the table around his plate but at the end of his meal when he is full we have a clean up routine where he picks all these up and returns them to the plate along with his fork and spoon.

I'm sure babies weaned either way eventually learn to use their cutlery.  I've never met an adult who can't use a knife and fork.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2012, 20:53:13 pm »
Thanks Creations! And yes, MIL comes up with some really stupid comments and criticisms ::). I've learned its best just to ignore! ;)

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2012, 21:21:07 pm »
When I do weetabix for DD I just put around 2-3 teaspoons of milk on each side so it's not all mushy, but soft enough not to be crunchy, if that makes sense.

She's getting better using loaded spoons and sometimes likes to have a spoon to try scooping with, but doesn't get much yet and tends to turn it upside down on the way to her mouth which we both kind of find frustrating!

Oh and she HATES rice of any kind.  Basmati, arborio....nope.  Pulls a funny face and pushes it out of her mouth with her tongue.
*** Amanda ***

Offline brookmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2012, 02:57:09 am »
It's funny to see that MIL's can be a challenge throughout the world! Mine thinks Brook isn't eating anything as she puts food in, but quite a bit still falls out...... I stressed about it for 2 days, then gave her some honeydew melon and watched as she took little chunks out of it. And then felt silly for worrying!! My mom thinks the BLW is the neatest thing she has ever seen!!!!!

We did the homemade pasta sauce out of the BLW recipe book - very nice and fresh. Brook liked the noodles and seemed to work on some tomato chunks. As usual, who knows what what in, but at least she is trying the different flavors and textures!!!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2012, 04:22:56 am »
Hey- have you guys seen this 'babypote'? It's a silicone thing to put baby food in- but the picture has an older toddler on it. Do you think it's the sort of thing that ould be good to use for things like yoghurt? so that he could be independent with it? Or is it a waste of money? It's about $24 out here...

http://www.beaba.com/flash/#/en_GB/products/details/65-121-Babypote
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2012, 10:18:30 am »
Personally I'd say it was a waste, (if I have done the currency conversion correctly...) Sofia is happy eating yoghurt from a spoon (often with her v messy input) and it will be such a short time before she's able to do it on her own. Do you have the fruit purees in pouches in Aus, with the little spout on the end like that Beaba fruitpote? My friend lets her daughter just have the pouch and eat it straight from that... I'd probably be inclined to do the same.

Well, I think Sofia is just off her food full stop. Must be the cold / virus she's got. She barely ate any of her favourite salmon fishcakes and peas last night, again she ate very little of her breakfast (managed to track down her favourite cereal at the supermarket yesterday and gave her hot cross bun fingers too - but nope, a quick chew and then stopped.)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:17 am »
Thanks- i needed that suggestion reminder- my DH would thank you!! I really don't need to spend more money!!

Hamish is  funny with his food too- he had Bolognese again tonight- and picked out all the pasta bits (who knew he could do that!) and then had the sauce- and INSTANTLY started crying! And wouldn't stop even in the bath!! I think the tomto sauce may have hurt his sore throat.. poor baby!! have you checked sophia's throat? It could be that? 
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:23 am »
Hi ladies!  Just wanted to say thanks for the replies!  We are going to try some pear tomorrow morning.

As far as a spoon goes- I loaded the spoon for ds and gave it to him.  He loved feeding himself.  I used it for applesauce, or oatmeal, and later yogurt.  I did do a bit of a mix of purée and blw.  Seemed to work out ok.

My mil sat me down to discuss choking with ds after she watched a few meals of blw.  She was practically in tears telling me I shouldn't believe everything I see in books.  Sooo, we do purees when she is around. 

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #359 on: March 31, 2012, 09:56:03 am »
OMG!! The gagging is probably what she has seen... Oh ::)

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!