Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62796 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #360 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:17 am »
She was practically in tears telling me I shouldn't believe everything I see in books
Poor lady, she must be so worried.
In the UK the official guidance on weaning is now either BLW or puree with finger foods introduced at 6 months.  I don't know the guides where you are, I think maybe it helps some people accept the idea more if they know it is the official guidance and not just some weird modern idea from one book.

There's lots of videos of babies gagging on puree on the internet.  Maybe if she realised that they gag anyway it might help her not feel so scared?  There are also courses and videos on infant first aid for choking which are useful to see/do and can ease fears.

We are going to try some pear tomorrow morning.
I found raw pear and apple too hard for DS to begin with so used to steam them for a few minutes, or better still bake wedges.  The baked ones were great as the outside was quite dry and easier to pick up whilst the inside was like puree almost, lovely and soft - the baked version is also easier to take out and about I think.  He also likes grated raw apple now but I only recently tried that.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »
Hamish has had the worst cases of stuff aspirated into his lungs on water (he sometimes likes to suck it in out of the cup ::) and a VERY VERY heartbreakingly scary event the other day on the antibiotics!! Honestly- if he had ever done what he did the other day on a piece of food i probably would have made the jump to purees forever!! Oh- i'm getting sick just thinking about it!! But food- he gags it out WAY before he gets it to his airway!

Oh and now that hamish's throat is pretty much better he's eating like a man who's been on a desert island ::) DH said he had to cut him off from the grapes today at lunch!! Honestly the whole- the baby will stop when he's had enough- lark doesn't really work around here- we'd run out of food first i think!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2012, 19:34:05 pm »
We often eun out of food too! She sometimes eats more than DD1! :o

Thanks for the baked apple wedges idea! Hadn't thought of that. Do you put them on greaseproof paper?

Offline creations

« Reply #363 on: April 01, 2012, 09:09:15 am »
I just put them straight on a baking tray or any oven proof dish.
With the veg chips they need tossing in a little oil but apple and pear you can just shove straight in the oven.  I never even had  set temperature or time, I just checked them until they were done.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2012, 19:06:57 pm »
We were at my mums for a big family Sunday lunch today and Audrey sat at table in the highchair - she was lunging for everyone's plates so I put a spear of broccoli in front of her and she demolished it! She was very intent, definitely knew what to do with it. Granny was pleased and proud that her first taste of grown up food was home grown broccoli. She tasted a bit of roast potato too and ended up having two broccoli spears, and sucked on a little bit of beef for a minute. I will be interested to see if any broccoli went down!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2012, 20:40:37 pm »
Wow Anna that sounds like a great start! :)

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2012, 20:44:54 pm »
I was surprised! However she will have to wait a bit for her next tastes as we don't have a highchair for her at home yet!

Offline creations

« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2012, 21:21:13 pm »
Anna, can I recommend the IKEA antilop highchair - it really IS the KIING of highchairs.  I would have paid for it ten times over compared to other high chairs (but it is actually one of the cheapest chairs you'll ever find).  The most important aspect in my eyes is that is must be easy to clean, this one IS, it couldn't get more easy, so many other highchairs are just not easy to clean.  Get the clip on tray too (comes separately because this chair can also scoot straight up to the dining table) so you have the option there.

There, I said my bit, and no I don't work for IKEA :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2012, 21:34:04 pm »
Anna, can I recommend the IKEA antilop highchair - it really IS the KIING of highchairs.

^^THis!! I honestly think every day as i clean it how great it is!! And small- and can be taken apart for transport! Easy peasy!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2012, 22:08:17 pm »
That's the one my mum has. Only question is whether I can make it to Ikea in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can get one on freecycle...

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #370 on: April 02, 2012, 03:54:04 am »
Ooh you've all made ne jealous, I want an IKEA highchair! :P. The one I have is OK but not that easy to clean and really bulky! Oh well :)

Offline creations

« Reply #371 on: April 02, 2012, 07:35:00 am »
Only question is whether I can make it to Ikea in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can get one on freecycle...
Oh I was in the same position, IKEA is a long drive from where I live and I really couldn't face it but I really wanted that chair. Then my mum said she had got a high chair off free-cycle and I felt so unappreciative because I really didn't want just 'any' off freecycle, I wanted what I wanted!  It turned out the free chair was the antilop imagine how HAPPY I was!  Not only the best chair but also free and no driving.  RESULT!

I also have a baby dan (the wooden chair that goes right up to the table, like the tripp trapp) it is nice, easy to clean, but not nearly so portable or versatile and it's really expensive in comparison (but I got that free too :) ).

I am sending antilop freecycle vibes your way anna xx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #372 on: April 02, 2012, 08:05:27 am »
We have the Tripp trapp but DH uses it for his computing chair... So we have to replace one or the other! I liked it but it was actually a really tight squeeze for my chunky monkey!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #373 on: April 02, 2012, 10:26:05 am »
Tripp trap for a computer chair!! My Occuptional Therapist colleague was VERY strongly reccommending a Tripp trap- and i agreed totally with her- provides excellent support for the feet- can be used for years as a chair (or for DH at the computer!)- BUT THE PRICE!! Out here they are really pricey.. and the extra parts on top! I just found i couldn't go past the price for the antilop- we've been happy too as we took it apart and took it on 2 holidays.

Whatever you get anna- just try to get something with no padding (or limited) and i would suggest not having the tray too high.. (some have crazy high trays!!)- ALSO- my friend has a high chair that her little guy can just put his leg up to the tray and it kicks right off! Hopeless for BLW!! (she's not doing that at all.. he's over 1 and still has purees a lot..)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #374 on: April 02, 2012, 10:54:16 am »
They are really good - but word of warning - my friend's little boy can get out of it very easily at 9mo because there is no 5 point harness just a waist belt. He managed to wriggle out of despite it being snug around him, my friend turned around from chopping something at the work top to find him standing in the chair which gave her the absolute fright of her life. So just be aware, if you have a super active LO, you need to be extra vigilant.