Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63335 times)

Offline timmysmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10as
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2012, 18:14:01 pm »
Hi ladies!  Thanks for the tips on explaining to mil.  She was a pediatric nurse, so she has seen the worst.  T was not choking or gagging when she saw him.  The whole idea was just too scary for her.  In fact, everyone I know thinks I'm crazy for blw.  Dh isn't fond of it either, but he knows the kids like it better.  He watched me trying to spoon feed E today, then watched me give her a piece if pear to at with and could see the difference!

So far, she doesn't like food in any form.  Puts it in her mouth, makes an awful face and spits it back out.

I'll have to try baked apples and pears- yummy! :)

We have the fisher price booster seat too.  Liked it so much we bought a second one for dd.  it is easy to clean, doesn't take up much room, seat adjusts in height for use as a booster later, and is portable.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2012, 19:17:39 pm »
Menu today:

Breakfast: porridge fingers (woohoo!) with dried fruit cooked in
Lunch: (at Ikea) grated cheese sandwich, which she didn't touch, Organix carrot fingers (the crispy things), raisins, apple (DS started it and DD finished it off!)
Dinner: fish finger, chips and baked beans (didn't touch the beans either)

She's been a bit weird the last couple of days, so wondering if some more teeth are going to appear.  She usually loves a cheese sandwich, but wonder if the cheese being grated threw her a bit... :-\
*** Amanda ***

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2012, 20:06:39 pm »
Menu today:
Bfast - omlette and toast
Lunch - meatballs and veg
Afternoon snack - banana and yoghurt
Supper - spare ribs, potato and sweet potato chips. Plus a couple of prunes to help it through ;)

My girl loves her meat!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2012, 22:50:14 pm »
I want to go to Ikea now!! :(

We had yesterday:

Weetbix, yoghurt and some halved grapes (surprise surprise!)

Banana sandwiches!! a new FAVOURITE!! AND as he loves them so much they are actually a great out and about food as NOT A BIT hits the floor! He was offerred a plum but threw it away..

Dinner was some chicken drumstick/thigh pieces cold off a BBQ chicken- ate ALL, 2 or 3 mouthfuls of sweet potato soup... is too much like puree for his liking i think.. and some more grapes.. I tried to give him strawberry but he was not into that either..

Oh hamish LOVES the sweet potato chips! y sister does them bu using a grater to cut the sweet potato into little bits then pan frying them in a little oil! I had to cut hamish off! (that was 2 nights ago.. last night was a left overs jobby..)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #394 on: April 04, 2012, 13:16:39 pm »
Ok- do you ladies do snacks? As in 3 meals and 1-2 snacks? What counts as a decent snack? I gave Hamish 2 cruskets today and he thought they were ok.. i'd perfer dry brushable things... I think he might need something...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #395 on: April 04, 2012, 15:22:34 pm »
No we don't do snacks yet. I will probably star around 10mo when I start looking at dropping the daytime BFs.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #396 on: April 04, 2012, 17:03:21 pm »
I do a snack at around 4pm. Fruit, yoghurt, organix baby snacks...

Offline brookmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #397 on: April 04, 2012, 18:51:16 pm »
we haven't started snacks either.....

Have there been any foods that you have given to your little one that suprised you how much they liked it or they did very well managing it?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #398 on: April 04, 2012, 19:10:01 pm »
Ladies, forgive me not reading back through the thread, are there any links which tell me what I need to know in terms of introducing new foods? I assume it's not so much like purees where you give carrots for three days and then add sweet potato/squash for three days and then broccoli (etc etc). Aud is apparently absolutely up for eating anything I put in front of her and I don't want it to backfire. She is EXTREMELY happy to be sitting in her chair nomming away with us.

Also, can you reassure me it is OK for her to be eating now (I know you are not doctors!)? She is 24 weeks old. She is completely steady sitting up if there is support around her body (if she is on the floor she will topple over but is fine in a high chair). She is picking up the food and bringing it to her mouth. Yes she is eating bits (I found the evidence today!), even though from her face you would think everything tastes like lemons ;) . This means she's ready, right?

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #399 on: April 04, 2012, 19:41:40 pm »
Sounds like she's ready Anna! :) I didn't do things one by one but I avoided things that are commonly known to be gas causing at first. I started with steamed vegetable/fruit sticks and moved on toast fingers, pieces of very tender chicken, pasta...

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #400 on: April 04, 2012, 19:48:48 pm »
So far (it's only been 3 days) I'm just giving her little bits of what we're having. Obviously we eat quite a variety so I am worried that I will be giving her too much variety too soon. I don't know if I should cut her off, you know, go slower.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #401 on: April 04, 2012, 20:43:44 pm »
Part of the thing with BLW is that they get to try lots of different things and experience different tastes and textures.  If it were me, I'd carry on as you are unless she shows you something to the contrary. :)

Today's meals were a bit, hmmm....breakfast - porridge finger with strawberry cooked in (she wasn't keen, but DS loved it!), lunch - McD's fish finger happy meal (although she hardly had any chips) followed by the grapes and some apple slices from a fruit bag, dinner - cheese spread sandwich, strawberries and blueberries and yoghurt.
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #402 on: April 04, 2012, 21:15:48 pm »
Anna we just offered what we were having too, definitely not one new food every couple of days.

Today colby had cornflakes and carrots for breakfast (not in the same bowl he just didn't eat many cornflakes so I gave him a couple of cooked carrot sticks afterwards). For lunch at playgroup he had pasta, green beans, strawberries, cream crackers and he pinched a chip from my sister. For dinner he had pasta with minced beef in tomato and basil sauce and green beans left over from yesterday. He did actually have a good go at stuff today. Maybe he will sttn tonight.

Carrots, mushrooms and strawberries are the favourites that seem to go down surprisingly well here.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #403 on: April 04, 2012, 21:59:52 pm »
What counts as a decent snack?
Katy I doubt Hamish is going to agree with what counts as a decent snack :)

I introduced snacks gradually as the bottles went.

A decent snack for most of the LOs at play group is a few raisins, or a couple of slices of banana and just look at a piece of apple, or hold a bread-stick and maybe eat some of it.  Some of them eat a couple of slices of pear or apple.
A snack for DS was (at that age) more like 4 fruit pancakes :) or a full banana, or a full bread-stick plus raisins, or several flapjacks/oaty bars (home made no sugar) or 3 or 4 mini oat cakes with cream cheese or 2 or 3 mini muffins (home made no sugar).  I suspect Hamish will have a good appetite for snacks - and they really help with crankiness if/when you need to stretch out A times too!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2012, 22:13:58 pm »
Yay that sets my mind at rest thank you everyone!

So today Audrey had a go with a porridge finger and a chunk of banana at breakfast, she had a bit of egg and some gluten free toast and butter at lunch, and at tea she had a hunk of chicken and a couple of pieces of broccoli, red pepper, courgette fished out of our risotto. It ended in tears because she rubbed risotto in her eyes and had to be taken off early for a bath, but she was definitely having a good gnaw/suck on everything.

I can see tea is going to be tricky because she is an early bedtime girl (as much as I try to move things later she wants to be asleep for 6.30). So she's already pretty tired by the time we eat at 5.30.

She is SO happy to be eating grownup food!