Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62596 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2012, 22:43:49 pm »
couple of slices of banana

WHAT?!?!? A COUPLE of SLICES?!?! Well- it would be a quick way for hamish to develop speech- he'd say 'Is this your excuse for a snack?!'

Sounds great Anna- You don't have to worry too much about er not eating dinner with you. You cold either offer her 'dinner' and you and your DS have a 'snack' at that time- so she's involved and eating with the family.. it doesn't have to be too late...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #406 on: April 05, 2012, 05:34:51 am »
We tend to eat dinner after the girls' bedtime so I give them their dinner together right before their bath.

How do you make porridge fingers??

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:07 am »
I don't know if there's a better recipe, but I just took a spoonful out of my porridge (made with water and a spoonful of coconut oil) and set it to one side to cool down, and then when it's cold it goes pretty hard/thick so I just squished it into a finger shape.

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2012, 08:45:17 am »
We went to a 1st birthday party earlier this week for one of Sofia's baby friends, I felt like such a miser only offering Sofia the healthy stuff while pretty much all the other mums offered their babies "grown up" crisps (stuff like cheesy wotsits) and those marshmallow sticks called flumps!!! One mum was saying "ooh Evie loves wotsits, and the marshmallow is ok because it's low fat." ???

It's been bothering me for the last 2 days - is it just me...? I know it was a party, but most of these babies were 7-10m old. I feel like all that stuff is for waaaaaaay later down the line. I'm not a crazy nut when it comes to restricting foods with the kids, they have a good mix of stuff but these foods are just not things I plan on offering til well after a year for Sofia.

I don't restrict DS at parties, but he generally makes healthy choices followed by a treat anyway.  I let Sofia have a taste of the birthday cake (no frosting) but she wasn't all that fussed and it just ended up in a huge pile of crumbs over her and me!! Poor Max didn't get to taste a cake til it was his 1st birthday!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2012, 08:59:20 am »
WHAT?!?!? A COUPLE of SLICES?!?! Well- it would be a quick way for hamish to develop speech- he'd say 'Is this your excuse for a snack?!'
;D

This is why I have to take DS's snacks with me to group, they DO provide snacks but the main thing I am teaching DS during snack time is that he is not allowed to swipe from other kids' bowls even if you know they aren't eating it.

So, DS is approaching 15 months now and has just recently learned how to take grapes off the stalk himself.  This is our latest skill in BLW and it's pretty cool watching him.

Londondixy - I don't think you should feel any guilt at all over restricting what you're LO eats, lets face it, if there was a big bowl of alcoholic punch you wouldn't let her have a swig of that would you?  So I don't see the difference with restricting high sugar snacks, you know it isn't suitable for her age.  Having just mentioned snacks at play group, sometimes they give the kids a regular biscuit like a digestive or rich tea, I always decline these for DS but I am prepared with his own snacks so he doesn't go without.  So even at 14/15 months I choose not to give him the sugary things.  He has very rarely had a spoon of ice cream or a morsel of a cake I'm eating but generally I make him sugar free cakes (including his 1st birthday cakes which were sweet potato muffins with vanilla mascarpone cheese - all healthiness) .  So it is not just you at all.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #410 on: April 05, 2012, 09:33:45 am »
No I find that ludicrous too Rachel. No way colby is getting rubbish like that at this age. Apart from the salt and sugar being unnecessary if not dangerous babies at this age cannot eat enough solid foods to get a decent mix of nutrients as it is hence why they need breast or forumla milk until 1yo. So no way would I let the solids he does eat be so devoid of nutrients. Plus I don't want him getting a taste for all that junk too early at the expense of other less tasty foods that are healthy.

I'm always amazed when I go to play groups and they dish out fruit and some kids only eat a mouthful or two and cadan is asking for more. Not because I don't feed him of course but he is used to eating a whole banana. Which I've actually discovered is too much for him in terms of a third of a banana being a portion of fruit for a child his age. I try to offer a couple of fruits at a time now and either get him to share with colby or his cousins or save the rest for later. He doesn't always let me though. ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:37:05 am by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #411 on: April 05, 2012, 10:29:59 am »
No rachel- not crazy at all!!! I'm the same! I mean really- none of us EVER need that much energy dense food- really if i never had a cake again etc then that would be fine!! The only reason i have that stuff is because i LOVE it and WANT it- but hamish LOVES and WANTS grapes- so i think that's a better thing to go with!!

Well i met a kindrid BLW spirit tonight!! She had her 6 month old at dinner- she's a friend of my aunt- and i said 'he's on solids then?' And she said- 'oh yes- we just started a couple of weeks ago' and then after further discussion discovered they were doing BLW!! So both our boys sat at the club eating roast chicken, beans, carrots and beef!! Was a crack up!! I have told her about the forum and that we have this thread- she was very interested!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:33 am »
I agree too Rach! I barely let DD1 who is 3 have snacks like wotsits. She only eats them at parties. No way would I let S have those things! I went to a 2yr old bday party where they had organix snacks which I thought was nice :). As for cake and biscuits its the same. She will taste a bit on her 1st bday but the longer I delay her getting a tasye for those things the better! Unfortunately DD1 now does have a taste for sweet things, not helped by relatives offering her lots of goodies ::) but I still limit them.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #413 on: April 05, 2012, 19:35:38 pm »
Becky - porridge finger recipe here - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=227332.msg2455155#msg2455155.  If you have anything other than an 800w microwave you may need to adjust timings a bit :)
*** Amanda ***

dburseth

« Reply #414 on: April 05, 2012, 21:48:24 pm »
Hi again :D Gosh I  haven't popped in on this thread in awhile and I think i've missed out on some good tips!  I'll have to do some back reading.

My question is about giving DS some herbal tea (warm or cold) as an alternative to water.  He drinks enough water but I just thought it might be a nice change up and introduce new flavours...what do you think?  I'm thinking ones that are just a fruit flavour would be safe?

Anna, we're not strict about offering foods three days in a row etc. until I get suspicious of something giving DS gas.  And if I think what I've got is too rich for his system I just give him a bit of it then balance it out with something blander like rice or bread. 

Also, we're getting picky with veggies...any suggestions? Sweet potato, yams, carrots and squash are out if you can believe it.  I'm still offering them once in awhile though in case he changes his mind.  I have a hunch its a texture thing as much as taste.  But he loves mashed potato, so go figure.

Katy,  we're doing 3 meals and 1-2 snacks.  C seems to be a big eater, too. Bananas disapear in about 2 min flat! On top of it he's still having 5 or 6 full BFs.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2012, 21:55:09 pm »
Cam's mom personally I wouldn't introduce those fruit teas. They have sugar and fruit acids in that are bad for teeth and they may mean that he is less inclined to drink plain water once he has the taste for sweet drinks.

Colby likes some baby corns and baby courgette (zucchini) today. Can you hide veg in stews or pasta sauce etc.?

dburseth

« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2012, 22:12:22 pm »
Thanks Ali.  I meant like a brewed tea from a bag, not sweet at all. I'm definately not into the sweet beverages for C.  He still might start to decline the water though, you're right.

Baby corn! Good idea.  Did you just offer the zucchini plain or was it cooked up? I do hide things, I just want to keep giving him whole foods too, YK?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #417 on: April 05, 2012, 22:20:30 pm »
I just sliced the baby zucchini in half lengthways and cooked it in a quorn mince bolognaise. Don't overcook it or it squashes too easily.

I realised you meant a tea but I thought the fruit ones tasted sweet from the fruit.

dburseth

« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:05 am »
What is "quorn mince bolognaise"?   ???

I suppose you're right about the tea...basically like dried fruit.  I'll have to read some labels next time I'm in town.  Might be best just not to open the can of worms yet! 

C chowed down a heaping dessert plate of pasta tonight...there's something about pasta! Mmmm.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #419 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:45 am »
Quorn mince is vegetarian mince replacement made from soy and mushroom protein. Mince is what we call ground beef btw. The bolognaise (sp?) is just a tomato and herb sauce normally served with spaghetti.

I actually looked at a pack of tea here and because the serving diluted by steeping in water was so small everything just said trace or <0.5 (that was sugar) so not very helpful really.