Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 63498 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2012, 10:48:59 am »
I reckon if the label says 'trace' that it wouldn't be really adding to his sugar- but it might turn him off water.

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2012, 14:20:50 pm »
No Katy sugar was the only thing in it in terms of the list of nutrients but because the serving size was so small (100ml made up) it just said <0.5g. Everything other than sugar said trace. I wouldn't worry about the sugar being consumed just the teeth angle and him getting the taste for drinks other than water at such an early age. That's just my preference though.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2012, 15:10:38 pm »
Hi ladies.  I wanted to post that we are still on the BLW path.  Wyatt just isn't as keen on food in general, so it's slow.  He just broke 20lbs so he is gaining weight which is good (Owen weight 20lbs at 4months!).  We are hoping to begin trialing milk after his first birthday so that's exciting!  Right now his favorites are turkey meatballs, grilled chicken, zucchini and summer squash. 

:)  I'm glad everyone here is doing well!

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2012, 21:05:05 pm »
Welcome zoey!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2012, 21:34:27 pm »
Hi zoey  ;D

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2012, 22:33:11 pm »
Ha -yes Cam's mum! LJ loves pasta too. Eats lots of it but not very interested in potato a lot Of the time. Still give it to her though and she does eat it sometimes. Xx

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #426 on: April 07, 2012, 03:16:19 am »
Just wanted to post that E is not eating much- except today I ran out to the store, and while I was gone, dd woke up and dh fed her sweet potato and she ate it!  I think she was hungry!  No luck later today though.  At least I know she will eat eventually!

dburseth

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2012, 03:42:52 am »
Thanks for checking a label Ali.  And i think you're right to wait.  Especially since C is still using a sippy cup.  He does chug his water well so why would I go and wreck a good thing!

I tried some raw baby spinich today and yesterday and surprise! He ate it, lol.  I haven't tried any raw greens up until now thinking it might not me mushed up easy enough in C's mouth and catch in his throat.  He seems to like the crunchy texture though and he had no trouble. 

I've really been winging it as far as meals go, but its getting to the point now I can't be so lazy :( C is a hungry boy! Its hardest when DH is gone to work (camp work) so I'm not cooking a regular meal for just me.  I really, really wish cooking was my passion! ::)

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #428 on: April 07, 2012, 05:03:43 am »
Cam's mum - I try to keep a couple of things in the freezer for occasions when I'm not cooking, or when our food isn't suitable for kids. Things like chicken patties (frozen raw), which I can cook quickly in the oven or fry in coconut oil and serve with steamed veg. Or if I'm making cottage pie will try to make a couple of extra portions to freeze. Pasta is also a goood option for these situations, though I don't like to resort to it too often so prefer the frozen patties, homemade nuggets or whatever.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2012, 06:57:34 am »
Cam's mom, in terms of veggies.  Mine loves fried mushrooms (either dry fried or in a little butter), asparagus, green beans, aubergine, courgette, peas, sweetcorn, roasted onion.  He also went off sweet pot and carrot for a while I think he just got  bored of it, or maybe he realised he didn't 'need' so much of it (they firm up his poo and it can get too firm if he eats too much of those).
For lazy meals I used to throw some frozen veg in with pasta whilst it was cooking then after draining stir in some pesto or tom puree and cheese or a spoon of cream cheese to melt, and some times a can of fish (tuna or mackerel).  It makes for a really quick and easy meal but still balanced.

I've let DS drink the fruit juice on the rare occasion I've given him frozen fruit.  When it is defrosted it is pretty squishy and there's lots of juice.  I let him drink it straight form the bowl immediately after finishing the serving of fruit.  I think/hope this way he will not associate it with being a 'drink' but instead part of the fruit serving and it isn't an additional acid attack on his teeth.  I too wouldn't introduce any drinks other than water/milk, I worry too much about his teeth.

I made chicken meatballs the other day, but with chicken breast whizzed up (rather than bought mince) and mixed with breadcrumbs and a little low sodium seasoning, then rolled and fried.  I was surprised how much I enjoyed them - like getting a hit of junk food but it not being junk.  I'm not even keen on junk food but sometimes just get the urge for something processed and reconstituted - how odd! - these fulfilled the craving and DS loved them too.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2012, 13:26:58 pm »
I love cooking but wish I had more time to do it. I hate getting half way through preparing a more complicated meal and colby deciding he needs picking up! Then it gets pretty hard to do without either holding him or him crying and me trying to entertain him. 15 mins is about the max he is happy to sit and watch.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2012, 13:36:46 pm »
My freezer stock of everthing is very low at the moment.. the show i'm directing is opening on monday and this weekend- all weekend i have all day rehearsals- do DH is organising things... ::) miracle the child is eating at all!! Banana sandwiches are our FAVOURITE thing- peanut butter sandwiches are CR&POLA!!

I've got some raw baby spinach- i didn't know hamish might eat it!! I'll sooo try him on it tomorrow!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

dburseth

« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2012, 21:01:15 pm »
Ya I thought it might be a good source of iron, but if i gave him cooked spinich too often i think he'd end up turning his nose. 

Thanks for the ideas.  I think I'll peruse the freezer isle for suitable fare to keep on hand.  I always avoid that isle because there is too much ice cream and pizza available! lol

Creations, that sounds like a good strategie with the juice from fruit.  I think of that kind of juice in frozen and canned fruit just wasted nutrients that seeped out of the fruit. 

Ali, that's when its nice when DH is home in time to entertain while I'm cooking!  I think I'm going to start collecting more oven dish recipes for when DH is home.  I find C's BT is right when dinner is ready or almost ready and if I wait til after its so late and close to my own BT.  I'd like for all of us to eat before but DH is rarely inside or home in time :(  Then there's the phone...even C is starting to wonder why I let it ring, haha. 

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #433 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:26 am »
Oh god- had a BLW fail!! So i was at the shops and thought that the 5 grapes and had a rice biscuit thing my guy had was insufficient for a snack... so i investigated the 'pouches' of puree.. i've never used these before- but figured that i could find one with limited additives etc. SO i did- and it was bannna and such he loves banana- so i opened it, and squeezed some out- and wanted him to suck it right from the pack- (you can do that..).. well- we don't eat pre-packaged puree mummy!! We only eat fresh foods!! ::) so pack was WASTED!! and ALLOVER HIM!! FAIL!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #434 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:16 am »
OK ladies, I really wish we had a dog because OMG the MESS! How do you deal with it? Tips please.

In a few weeks I hope it will be warm enough that we can just strip Audrey down and she can eat in just her nappy. We are putting one of Stan's long sleeve t-shirts on her as an overall, but each one only lasts one meal and we are running out! I know I have an old shower curtain somewhere that I can spread out on the carpet under the dining table...

In other news, Audrey is doing great and having a good old go at everything presented to her. She's been enjoying egg, pear, duck, artichoke, broccoli (a big favourite), kiwi, pasta bolognese, chippati - and that's just this weekend.