Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62612 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2012, 23:49:06 pm »
Right now colby gets bored and ends up on someone's lap during most meals out with them trying to keep him from grabbing the plate

Ba ha ha h!! Oh... now hamish can't sit in a high chair NEAR the table without grabbing people's plates!! He was sitting there 'reading' the menu the other day!!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2012, 04:28:13 am »
Lol, I hope he found something to his liking?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 22:15:37 pm »
Ali, like Kay says, there's no problem with the white bread.  It's advised not to give LO's wholemeal as it is too filling.  That said, I do give DS mulitgrain wholemeal bread because he doesn't eat a lot of it.  But no brown rice or brown pasta.
DS wasn't at all keen on banana the first few times he was offered.  Then suddenly loved them.
I really want to advise you against the rusks though :(  Even the low sugar ones are packed with sugar.
There are truly 'no added sugar' biscuits available in the supermarkets.  Organix for example (sweetened only with fruits).  If you are worried that he can't handle a thin 'biscuit' yet (you know if you worry he might bite a chunk off and it be too dry in his mouth), organix do 'moon biscuits' which are crescent shaped, sugar free, and very fat and chunky like a rusk.  They also do that melting turning to mush in the mouth type thing that a rusk does.

For quite a while I took food out for DS if I was eating out.  If I was able to take something that looked like it might be the same I did (eg going for a Sunday roast I made him a selection of steamed veg so it seemed he had the same but his were all salt free where as the restaurant veg would have been cooked with salt.  But I gave him a bit of meat off someone's plate so that would have been his salt allowance for the day).  If I didn't know what we'd be having I just took anything for him.  Baked apple wedges, or potato wedges, something like that.  Now that he's turned 1 I don't worry about salt as much, if we go out I just order for him.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 22:26:45 pm »
Thanks Creations. Yeah, not sure why I got the rusks really. I know they are packed with sugar. ::) We have had the Organix biscuits for Cadan in the past when he was older though. I think I will try to stick with veggies and fruit more rather than biscuits for now. I don't want him getting my sweet tooth. LOL.

I have heard that white bread etc is better than brown for the reasons you guys said above but I'm just thinking bread full stop is not very nutritious. A protein or veg/fruit would be better at this very early stage.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2012, 23:12:22 pm »
FYI creations and others- i was doing some reading on the wholemeal thing and it said that brown rice was not included in that category- so it's fine.. if i find the link again later i'll post it...

Bread is good though i find as a carrier for something else- avocado, mashed pumpkin, mashed salmon pattie, peanut butter (no sugar, no salt- GROSS!)- And look for a low salt bread- some are really high in soduim!

Love the new pic- Hamish will NEVER have a 'first sledge'!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2012, 23:40:11 pm »
FYI creations and others- i was doing some reading on the wholemeal thing and it said that brown rice was not included in that category- so it's fine.. if i find the link again later i'll post it...
Interesting!  Thanks for the info, doesn't affect us though, I hate brown rice :)

Bread in the UK has higher salt than many other countries too which is SO annoying.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2012, 01:56:39 am »
Yes, I have always given brown rice and F loves it. It's all we have at home, although she has white rice when we're out. I make my own bread with just a little wholemeal flour, oats, and white flour - and no salt. She doesn't have it every day, but will sometimes have toast after her porridge, or I will make her some savoury french toast as a quick lunch or dinner.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2012, 03:45:45 am »
French toast... Of course- id forgotten that!! Nice idea!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2012, 03:58:44 am »
I often spread a bit of home-made pizza sauce (tom paste, garlic, herbs) on the bread, then dip in egg and fry - sort of a cross between a mini pizza and french toast. Yum! Or just dip the bread in herby egg, if I don't have any pizza sauce on hand.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2012, 05:33:42 am »
Great idea papaya!! I'm always keen to add more nutrition to bread!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2012, 20:19:37 pm »
Ok, we're really waffling here.  Now that G's all done being sick, he seems to be getting frustrated that he breaks things on the way to his mouth and then looks thoroughly unimpressed when a piece gets stuck in the back of his throat (or maybe that's my discomfort I'm seeing in his face :-\).  So, I've been offering some purees and then give him the real food after a bit. 

This is what happens:  I steamed some carrot sticks.  He picks them up and gets them to his mouth, but rather than gumming some off, a little chunk always comes off, which he moves around his mouth, sometimes is able to mush up, and sometimes chokes it down.  He continues until all that's left are smaller pieces that he's unable to get in his mouth.  Is this how it's supposed to look and they just get better, or have I prepared the carrots wrong? 

What other foods did you do at the beginning?  I'm so tempted to give him a piece of toast, but all we eat is whole wheat and now my BIL is reading about the 'wheat belly' (basically that our bodies aren't capable of handling modern-day grains, I think), so I feel like I shouldn't be giving toast.  Aaack, I'm not confident in much right now! :P :-[ ::)

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2012, 20:34:05 pm »
Katie, that's exactly where we were between 6-7m and the gagging to bring that little lump up was then followed by a vomit! So i stepped back from pure BLW, did a few purees and offered some organic finger foods designed for babies which melt in the mouth  so that she could get used to handling food, getting it to her mouth and gumming it.  She enjoyed feeding herself and in the last 2-3 weeks I've seen a big improvement in what she's able to cope with.  I'm still offering mashed food and yoghurts as well as lots of different finger foods and she feeds herself with the spoon...

R.x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 20:51:52 pm »
Sounds pretty much right katie.. I found though that i could never get carrots right, they always ended up a little too hard... i ould offer things like pumpkin and sweet potato. THey go a lot softer. And fruits that are soft. I held off on toast till 7 months i think... it doesn't break up that well so it was a bit tricky for hamish when he was little. They do a lot of looking and experimenting with the food and then just 'get' it!

Does anyone remember he-man? Cartoon from the 80s ?Well- hamish has started doing this 'by the power of greyskull' thing with the spoon in the morning! Sooooo glad yoghurt is the only spoon food or i think i'd be struggling- he grabs it off me, not content to hold the handle near the bowl as he's done all along  while i hold the end... holds it up in front with this angry expression and sort of growls! I expect him to transform... but he only transforms into a baby covered in yoghurt...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 22:05:52 pm »
I loved He-man!!! I had the figures and Skelatore's castle. LOL.

Most of our food is just getting broken up so far Katie. Today I have him farfalle pasta and he had a good go but again, I'm not sure if he actually swallowed any. I have a sweet potato in the fridge that I keep meaning to cook but keep forgetting.

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2012, 02:08:12 am »
Rach - Thanks, good to know someone who's BTDT.  Love your new avatar, btw!! ;D

Katy - Glad to know that's normal.  I was just thinking that sweet potato might be a bit easier, and will make up some wedges in the next couple days.  LOL on He-man!! :)

Ali - I know that G's swallowing some, because I've seen carrot bits in his poop. :-X  I guess I'm just being impatient and not really trusting the process.  Hadn't thought of pasta yet, I think we have some elbow macaroni in the cupboard.

I bought some organic rice rusks today at the store and gave him one while we were eating dinner.  I think he's just strong (read: all boy; I'm used to more curious exploring from DD rather than muscling it in there), because he broke that too getting it to his mouth.  But, he did enjoy gnawing on it, bit a couple pieces off and sort of choked them down as well.  His all time favorite part of the meal right now is the sippy cup of water.  He gets so excited and almost frantic when I put it on his tray.  He has yet to get much water from it, but can't get enough of chewing on the spout, LOL!  It's cute. :D