Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10  (Read 62601 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 10
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2012, 21:50:38 pm »
Just a quick tip for newbies to BLW.  Although finger shaped and wedges are the 'norm' it's pretty handy to cut things into crescent moons and circles with holes in, these shapes give LO a place to grip more easily, espcially slippery fruit which tbh an adult would struggle with.  For example rather than wedges the length of an avocado cut in half moons width ways so each piece (well most of them) have a semi circle cut out where the stone was.  This is a less slippery shape.  Same with cored apple, do moons or rounds, etc.
With things like nectarine I used to prod/squish with my finger into a wedge, basically just mis-shaping the wedge (not mushing the whole piece of fruit) which again gives an area for LO to grip.

I tried fruit rolled in rice cereal thing once or twice (I'd read it as a tip and my mum had bought baby rice which I had no intention of ever using), I found the rice powder just went to mush on the outside of the fruit straight away so wasn't really helpful, but I think someone else had great success with wheatgerm?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 22:17:37 pm »
Ok- a tip ladies... don't let your LO help with the typing... they can too easily press delete!!

I DID say- The dietitians i used to work with would often add calories to foods by adding butter and cream to things- if you are overly concerned you could add unsalted butter to things or cream to things to push it up... this was for adults and kids with disabilities who struggled to get the food quantities in...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 22:38:51 pm »
Upping the cream/butter/milk in the solids food is also advised if LO drops their milk intake too but I found the opposite, the more dairy I offered in solids the less formula he took from bottles.  It was getting a bit silly the amount of dairy solids I was giving in an attempt to keep his dairy intake up.  Then I just did a turn about and stopped giving much at all in solids and he upped his milk.  Pretty clever in knowing how much they need these LOs eh?  He was obviously keeping track of his own dairy intake!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2012, 01:00:17 am »
Oh- and you can roll te fruit in crushed up regular cereal like shredded weet/weetbix or something low salt, no sugar.. it may hold together better than baby cereal as creations describes....

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:25 am »
I'd like to think of some more non-dairy high calorie foods to offer F... We can't get avocado here, unfortunately as we discovered on our trip home last year that she loves it! I give her peanut butter on toast. Any other ideas?
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2012, 02:05:59 am »
what about good oils like olive etc... added... making things with coconut oil?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:58 am »
Mmm, yes I could try and get some olive oil - I'm pretty sure it is available in a couple of stores, just horrendously expensive  ::). I do use coconut milk in things quite a bit too.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2012, 03:39:19 am »
I'm sure any of those good oils are appropriate... like.. um... macadamia oil (oh- that's probably an australian thing..) avacado oil? I'm trying to think of an oil they use in thailand.... Ok- here's a list from one website.. but they differ across websites (from my 3 minute search of 4 websites... hardly comprehensive) :
Good Cooking Oils:
canola oil
flax seed oil
peanut oil
olive oil
non-hydrogenated soft margarine
safflower oil
sunflower oil
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 11:26:51 am »
Ok, Katy, this is mostly for you :)

I've been thinking about making a sugar-free mango sorbet with coconut milk for Felicity, partly to try and get more coconut milk into her and partly because it's just hot. So I did a bit of googling and found this: http://sogoodandtasty.blogspot.com/2011/05/mango-sorbet.html

I made it this morning and oh my goodness, it is delicious. If your little guy is into mango, you have to try it! I made half into little popsicles, and just put the other half into a container. Felicity had one for dessert and demanded seconds (as did DH). She kept screwing up her face and signing *cold*!!!, immediately followed by *more*!!!.

I'm not great with measurements so probably used more coconut milk and less water than the recipe says, and I also didn't remove the ginger before blending (but did take out the cloves). It was pretty gingery but obviously not too much for F  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:43:11 am by Papaya »
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »
YUM!! FOrget hamish- this looks great!! I NEVER would have thought of ginger and cloves! I'll HAVE to give it a try- we are at the end of the mango season, but i'm sure a couple of ones suitable for sorbet are still around! I bought just the other day these sweet little annabel karmel iceblock moulds especially for babies! So it would be perfect!- and sooo sweet with the signing!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »
YUM!! FOrget hamish- this looks great!!

Yeah, I have to admit that I knew it wouldn't go to waste even if F wasn't keen! Now I just have to refrain from eating it all until I can go out and buy more mangoes to make more - and have to figure out how to keep DH away as well!
*Nuala*

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2012, 20:08:28 pm »
flax seed oil
Nuala, can you get just plain (or ground) flax seed.  I used to add it (ground) to muffins and smoothies for Claire to add in some good fats to her diet. 

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2012, 22:10:15 pm »
Creations, thanks for the tips on the crescent shapes. I will keep that in mind.

We have been offering Colby some foods to try with varying success. He is happiest with regular white bread crusts but I'm not sure how good that is really. I also gave him some banana but he shuddered and squidged it all up even though I had split it into three with my finger down the middle so it wasn't slimy when I gave it to him. Maybe it was too ripe. I didn't think he got much but there was a chunk in his poop so I guess he swallowed some.
Today I offered him cheddar cheese but he just broke it up and didn't even taste it I don't think. I then offered him some potato flesh from a baked/jacket potato but same as the cheese really. Then out of desperation to keep him happy while we ate I gave him a Farley's rusk (reduced sugar, banana one) and he really went to town. I wasn't planning to offer so many foods but since he rejected most I didn't feel he would be over loaded. I will try to stick to one food and be a bit more organised with what I offer. Today it was just what we happened to be eating really.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2012, 23:35:58 pm »
Great job!! Really we haven't worried too much, and part of the point is that you are having the same stuff as them.. We don' always (we hardly ever do!) but it's great when we eat something he can have! On the bread, i usually give wholemeal, but i think that white is fine as babies can't handle too much wholegrain as their guts take more to absorb the nutirents or something like that? And it can take the place of more nutritious foods? I figure he doesn't have wholemeal stuff at every meal so it's fine- but I give him white bread, especially if we're at a restaraunt! Be warned, this is the end of eating at a cafe and having Colby happily play while you eat!! Are BLW babis worse for that? I've only done BLW so i don't have anything to compare!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2012, 23:41:51 pm »
See Katy I was hoping for the opposite. Right now colby gets bored and ends up on someone's lap during most meals out with them trying to keep him from grabbing the plate. I figured now he can sit in a high chair and make a mess with some foods ans perhaps eat some.
He did keep dropping the Rusk today and then crying because he couldn't reach it so I had yk keep giving it back.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011