Author Topic: anyone? 10 week old not taking morning bottle  (Read 1079 times)

Offline herewegoagain

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
anyone? 10 week old not taking morning bottle
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
Hi
posted this a couple of days ago, would realy like to hear if someone has an idea. it has been almost a week like this.
My 10 week old has been taking 10-40ml at his 7:30 morning feed.
He averages his other feeds at around 120-130ml with his evening feed at 19:00 being 160-180ml and his Dreem feed at 23:00 only 90-100ml. He wakes up once somewhere around 4:00 for another feed, usually an average one or a bit more if he slept a bit more (say 4:25). he wakes up around 7:30 happy and smiling and I wait until he seems a bit fussed to give him his bottle but as mentioned, he only takes 10-40ml. I feed him again at 10:00 when he starts showing hunger signs (and after 45 min of awakness when he wakes up after one cycle and can't get himself to sleep again. initially i thought he was waking after one cycle due to hunger but he wouldn't take much of a bottle either. he also wakes after that first cycle of the day pretty happy).  
what should I be making of this?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:53:53 am by herewegoagain »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10 week old not taking morning bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:40 am »
How much is he taking at the nightfeed? If it's a full feed you could try offering a couple of oz less to see if that helps the morning feed.

Laura

Offline herewegoagain

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: anyone? 10 week old not taking morning bottle
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:53 am »
He takes anywhere between 130 to 180 ml. do you think I should let him finish 120ml but not offer any more and see?
Thanks

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:01:13 am »
It's worth a try - see if you can resettle him after 120ml. This does seem to be a phase a lot of babies go through, they still need the NF but aren't hungry enough for their first bottle, it does work itself out eventually.

Laura

Offline herewegoagain

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 23:13:03 pm »
Thanks.
I've tried for a week now and it is a bit random, sometimes he'll take less and be okay and sometimes he needs more. in any case he doesn't have much in the morning. what i've started to do, s to wait about 45 min and then offer a bottle. he then takes much more (around 100-130 ml) and doesn't seem frustrated from me trying to force it down.... we then have 10 min of activity and he is off to bed. I don't think i'm doing anything detrimental with waiting before the feed, do you?

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:46:53 am »
That sounds fine to me! If he's happier doing that and you aren't feeding to sleep then there's no problem! You do find some babies need to be awake for a while before they are hungry, just like some big people ;)

Laura