Author Topic: Doidy cup  (Read 1278 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Doidy cup
« on: January 24, 2012, 23:08:38 pm »
We bought one for LJ around 6 months.  She can drink from it with s.o holding/pouring although is often so eager that she brings her head forward and I have to get her to let me do the tipping.  Anyway, I"m concerned that she's not drinking independently.  I probably need to put more work into this.  Sometimes I hold both handles and tip the cup towards my mouth and this leads her to then grab one/both handles and try to do it on her own. More often than not she just tries to grab the top of the cup and tips it up/would do if left to her own devices.

Anyone had any experiences with this? Any thoughts about where to go from here? I might just need to spend more time teaching her.  Will put more work into it tomorrow and wait eagerly for the support of my fellow bwers :)

xxx

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Doidy cup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 14:28:49 pm »
I didnt like the doidy cup and used the tommee tippee first cup with a flip up spout.  It can be used later on as an open cup with the lid off - it also has handles that are easier to hold

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 17:00:48 pm »
We used the tommee tippee flip top cus, they are fab and cheap too! We also used a doidy cup, the best way for them to learn is just to let them play with it - just put a small amount of water in it at a time as they will soak themselves!

Laura

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 17:44:22 pm »
We got some Tommee Tippee ones from our health visitor - the ones that are blue with green lids - O can drink really well out of them.  Haven't tried a doidy cup yet with him but I reckon if  I tried now it would end up everywhere!! I worked in a nursery once and from age 1 they offered a tumbler, but not before then.

If you use a cup with a valve in it ensure it is water, and not juice as that is not great for their teeth :-* (M still only gets water offered and likes it!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 17:59:19 pm »
We didn't got on with a doidy either. Went onto plastic tumblers but prob not until 18 months. Sippys up until then

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:05 am »
We started with an open cup with handles, not doidy, but still open at 6 months. It's easiest by far to actually sit BEHIND your LO- or stand behind- that way you can provide hand over hand guidance on the handles, which you need to at first, and you can tip it and see what is happening with the water. Give it a try- i tried both in front and then behind behind MUCH better!!

We introduced a straw cup rather than a sippy cup as another travel option (open cup messy..) and that has worked well for us!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!